FORUMS: list search recent posts

Guardians 2

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Guardians 2
on May 9, 2017 at 1:48:10 pm

No, not the thing with owls. The thing with a de-aged Kurt Russel, and a current-aged David Hasselhoff, the talking tree and five post- credit bonus scenes, with two cameos by Stan Lee and one each by Miley Cyrus and Sylvester Stallone.

It's more of what you liked in the first movie, with less set-up since you already know the characters. A strong theme about paternity's obligations seems mis-timed for a near- Mother's Day release, but it's a welcome message all the same.

Kurt Russell does a nice turn here, and Chris Pratt has this rare ability to simultaneously embody man-child and action hero without either half seeming too out-of-place.

Miley Cyrus is not the creature seen in the opening scenes or the ads, with the thrashing multiple tongues. Talk about mis-casting.

Groot is, if anything, more cool than the last time. See the post-credits scene for glimpse of him as a teenager.

The plot is weak and just an excuse for the action sequences, but we don't care. It's a silly, fun ride thru a comic book universe. I rate it three Groots.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Guardians 2
on May 9, 2017 at 2:27:38 pm

Cool, I'm glad to hear it is good. I liked the first one and I'm looking forward to seeing this one. I think Marvel really knows how to make a movie and print money.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on May 9, 2017 at 2:43:44 pm

I tried to see this movie twice over the weekend and it was sold out. I have not seen a sold out movie since Interstellar.

It is an interesting point about Marvel vs DC movies. While Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman both made good money, they were kind of weak movies overall despite decent acting performances. Is the problem Zach Snyder?

Would a DC movie directed by Joss Whedon, The Russo Brothers or Shane Black be better or is there a bigger issue at play?

It will be interesting to see how Wonder Woman fares, as it not only has a rare female action movie director, but someone who is relatively unknown in features.

Colin Trevorrow was relatively unknown before he made Jurassic World and while the movie made bank many would argue it was garbage. Makes me a little worried about Star Wars Episode IX: Return of the Jedi 2.

Same could be said for Gareth Edwards who was relatively unknown before Godzilla and now Rogue One which we can all agree was a fun Star Wars movie with structural problems.

Anyway, let me just finish by saying:

I am Groot.

I am Grooot.

I AM Groot.

Groot Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on May 9, 2017 at 4:29:08 pm

I did also notice a lot of sold out shows when I saw it over the weekend. Luckily I bought my reserved seats 10 days in advance! Sounds like an inconvenience to people who just like showing up to the theater (which it is) but it's just the way things are now. I was checking in on the ticket sales in the days leading up to the screening, and the showtime I saw it in was pretty much sold out 3 days before the actual time of the movie. Gotta buy in advance for the big stuff (if you want to see it opening weekend)!

I thought the 3D in GOTG2 was pretty good to be honest, with a bunch of scenes being genuinely eye popping (mostly space ship stuff, and the opening action scene). That was the case with scenes later in the movie too, when 3D usually wears off for me. That being said, I'm planning on seeing it again tonight or tomorrow in 2D, because 1.) I liked the movie a lot, and 2.) I'll probably notice more details in 2D.

I agree with Mark that the plot is pretty thin and basic, but the action scenes are great; and most of all, the comedy is even better than the first one. This movie is funnier than most regular comedy movies I see. (That Mary Poppins joke... ...perfection.) I think in a time when a lot of the real world we live in kind of stinks, I find there to be some merit in a movie whose primary focus seems to be just to make people smile. And it does a very good job at doing that. I'd give it three and a half Groots out of four.

And that can roll into DC movies, and their anti-smile films that Mike brought up. For the record, I think DC *attempted* to make a fun Marvel movie, and it was called Suicide Squad, and it wasn't really all that great. DC Cinematic universe is kind of a lost cause right now. The Wonder Woman trailer looks mostly as drab as the rest of the DC movies, and then you watch trailers for Thor Ragnarok and Spider-Man Homecoming and you go "Oh, now *that* actually looks like it would be enjoyable to sit through!". Marvel isn't perfect by a long shot, but they at least try to get a buttload of genuine smiles out of you.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 9, 2017 at 5:03:15 pm

I have high hopes for Wonder Woman as well as Justice League.

Answering earlier comments, I think it's less about the director and more about starting from a script that has a rugged, logical structure. Actors need to pin their performances to some plot and structure. A director and editor needs a firm idea and map of where he or she wants to go. A script that's weak and full of holes lets down all the other members of the team effort that is a movie.

Thor Ragnarock looks like great fun but raises all kinds of questions for me about how they explain moving Hulk off-Earth. Are they doing it the way they did in the comics, or something else?

Alien Covenant is looking to be a hot mess but the trailers for Brade Runner two and Valerian make me think those two are going to dominate the conversation about SF films for the rest of the year.

Prior to Valerian, Fathom Events will be screening The Fifth Element in select theaters again. Groovy.

BTW, SImon Pegg's little movie he made in 2014/15 with the voice talents from Monty Python looks like a bit of fun:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]