FORUMS: list search recent posts

Netflix Originals

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Netflix Originals
on Dec 24, 2016 at 11:38:42 pm

Hi there. It has been a while since I have grazed the pastures. I have spent a fair number of hours on Netflix as the days have grown shorter and have discovered a lot of good original content.
Netflix doesn't have a great selection of new theatrical movies but they make up for that by putting big bucks into original series.

First I caught up on House of Cards. I had thought season 3 was not so good but season 4 seemed to make up for this shortfall including a nice cliffhanger episode. Watching Kevin Spacey portray a slime politician concurrent with the final months of the US presidential election made for some interesting analysis of which slime politicians were slimier.

Next I watched The Crown...about the early days in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. Very interesting but slow moving with an interesting performance by John Lithgow as Churchill. I found myself going to Wikipedia after each episode to check my British history. Rumor has it Netflix spent $200 million on this series. It is well done and we know there are another 60 years of story to tell but hopefully they will compress time a little.

Finally we found Sense8. This unusual series is about a group of people who can telepathically interact with each other created by the Wachowskis. Saying anything more will give something away. It is worth going into this with no other knowledge. The Christmas special came out yesterday so we are off to watch that tonight.

More to come.

Mike

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Netflix Originals
on Dec 28, 2016 at 8:22:54 pm

I hope Stranger Things wasn't on your list because you already watched it this summer. I think that show was amazing. Actually, I would say it is the BEST Netflix show so far. I'm surprised it hasn't had its own post in this forum yet. I heard that all of the major studios passed on the idea for the show. Woops.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 29, 2016 at 8:05:41 pm

Just wanted to say if you missed Jessica Jones (gripping) or Man In The High Castle, (on Amazon) those are worth seeing too.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Dec 30, 2016 at 4:34:24 pm

I think the only Netflix originals I watched this year were Stranger Things (pretty good), and the Amanda Knox documentary (decent). I feel like I'm always trying to catch up with my cable box DVR, that I struggle to get diverted into Netflix!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 2, 2017 at 9:08:50 pm

Anyone watch Luke Cage? Is it any good?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 2, 2017 at 10:57:09 pm

Have not seen his stand-alone show yet due to home network issues but he's a major secondary character in Jessica Jones, where he's AWESOME.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 5, 2017 at 7:25:34 pm

I couldn't watch Luke Cage. I tried but it was just so slow. I started jumping ahead halfway through the first episode because I was getting board. I ended up skipping parts in the 2nd episode and just went to the last episode. Even the ending fight scene was slow.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 5, 2017 at 7:55:35 pm

I considered watching Luke Cage because people were telling me it was good, but then I remembered that a bunch of people told me Daredevil was also good, and I watched three episodes of that (which I found to be tedious) and never looked back.

I think the thing is that I hate comic book TV shows, their corny production values, and desire to develop a bunch of super minor characters (like Daredevil's friends, or the C-list agents from Shield) that I just don't find interesting.

But probably mostly corny production values... And I hope I don't start a heated TV war over here, but one of the big reasons I didn't *looooove* that show Firefly was because it had terrible production values and it felt like a Saturday morning WGN show or something. Felt like I was watching Kevin Sorbo's Hercules, or Xena, and I guess I understand why people like those shows... but it's just not for me.

So, long story short, watching Marvel TV shows (and DC too, I gave Gotham a small chance) makes me feel like I'm watching Xena Warrior Princess.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 6, 2017 at 5:38:33 pm

I really loved Dare Devil. I thought it was top notch. I can't say the same for Luke Cage.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 6, 2017 at 11:35:24 pm

As good as DareDevil was, Jessica Jones was even better, and I love how the characters of these shows all inhabit a shared universe where heir stories cross over into each other and how they are known by various secondary characters.

Also, can't understand the lack of love for Gotham. The season-long plot threads have been awesome in their operatic qualities and given us new nuances to old characters with updated origins. The first season was a pretty good mafia story line that happened to have a future batman and future villains in it. Seasons after that have built up a history for Gotham and an entire rogue's gallery of villains, as well as a complex and very challenged GCPD. it's a pot slowly coming to boil, but exquisite while we're waiting as well.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 23, 2017 at 6:30:25 pm

So I got my netflix working and binge-watched 8 or 9 episodes of Luke Cage.

It's brilliant, very good, though with a languid pacing compared to pretty much every other Marvel property. The plots take their sweet time unraveling so that the main characters have all the time they need to chew the scenery and establish themselves. The show feels like "Empire" gene-spliced into "Gotham".

The plot lines come to delicious cliffhangers that compel you to click and keep on going. There are nice little "Easter Eggs" and side-references all throughout the episodes that will only be apparent to the real comics nerd fans of Luke Cage.

Gorgeous lighting on the hero at every moment: the DP's outdid themselves. Subtle music cues and references to seventies era "Blacksploitation" themes as well as Cotton-club era music tie well into the funky, contemporary score.

Excellent casting and cast cross-overs with the other Parallel Marvel properties like Daredevil and Jessica Jones.
A little preachy on the race relations angle at times, but that's the heart of the story and the empowerment messages in it are legion. They've elevated the original source material without losing any of the charm and magic.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 10, 2017 at 4:58:26 pm

I watched A Series of Unfortunate Events and really liked it. The first episode is hard to get through because it really only sets the whole series up. Once we figured out that every two episodes is one story, then it made sense. This show is really funny and may be worth checking out to just see the art design.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]