FORUMS: list search recent posts

Did Pixar Contribute to the Death of Traditional Animation?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitchell Stein
Did Pixar Contribute to the Death of Traditional Animation?
on Nov 20, 2016 at 2:59:20 pm

I wrote this post the other day about the downfall of hand-drawn animation at Disney they other day, and figured I'd open it up for conversation here as well. o you think Disney (or any other company for that matter will return to hand-drawn animation, or do you think it's viewed as a dead medium in the eyes of Hollywood?

Full article is found here:
http://www.mickeymindset.com/will-disney-make-hand-drawn-films/

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Did Pixar Contribute to the Death of Traditional Animation?
on Nov 21, 2016 at 4:36:50 pm

It's probably hubris to make blanket predictions on aesthetic genres. They're cyclical over generations in their acceptance and popularity. Picking just one or 2, two-dee animated features that were commercial flops for your example may also be reading too much into things - movies flop for a great many reasons, not all of which relate to quality or aesthetics.

Your point I think, is that 3d cgi and stop-mo is where the risk-averse studios, eager for "synergies" with ride attractions and other side issues, now "believe" commercial success is, regardless of the content, compared to 2-d.

On the flip side of the argument, 2-d has never been cheaper to produce at ever-higher qualities, and a movie produced for low cost, that becomes a hit, can cause people to re-evaluate their prior judgement. How many movies did Miyazaki make in full 3-d CGI? And in a world where all the animation you see is 3-D CGI, isn't 2-d a great, attention-catching change of pace sometimes?

I think it's too early to write eulogies for flat animation. particularly when we still see a lot of potential in "hybrid" animations where 2-d and 3-d are mixed together. Maybe 2-d will become seen by future audiences as a "niche" style, maybe it won't. Personally, I look forward to more hybrid animation; it's a personal favorite of mine, with a singular aesthetic, and it has financial attractions on the production cost side, over full-3-d CGI.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Did Pixar Contribute to the Death of Traditional Animation?
on Jan 16, 2017 at 10:34:05 pm

Yes, I know I'm a little late on this one, but scrolled down and saw something that, by pure coincidence, I'd just read a book about. I can highly recommend Niccole Laporte's EXCELLENT 2010 book "The Men Who Would Be King." It's the full story (up to 2010 at least) of Spielberg, Katzenberg, and Geffen's Dreamworks. Given Katzenberg's prior involvement with Disney's 2D animation and trying to compete with Pixar's early films, there's a LOT of information about the transition of animation and the business effect it's had.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]