FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sherlock Holmes - A Cure for Insomnia

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Sherlock Holmes - A Cure for Insomnia
on May 6, 2010 at 10:08:37 pm

Here we go again:

A blockbuster big budget version of a classic story/character. Fabulous set pieces, good action and an over the top performance from the lead actor. Put these all together and the result is a fun yet hard to follow story. Granted this was a Guy Ritchie movie, so it should be hard to follow with good action and over the top characters.

I wasn't sure Ritchie could pull off a mainstream movie, but he successfully integrated his classic editing montages and fight choreography style into a period film. The pacing, however, was somewhat poor in my opinion. The movie started with a less than interesting action sequence, followed by some exposition, more exposition and did I mention exposition? Then we go from one ridiculous action scene to the next.

All that being said, it was a fun movie, but overall sort of boring. Perhaps Sherlock Holmes is not meant to be an action hero. Robert Downey Jr seems to have action hero in his blood now. Next he will portray 18th century action hero Ethan Frome.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Sherlock Holmes - A Cure for Insomnia
on May 10, 2010 at 3:44:27 pm

Yeah I thought it was OK. I had a good time when I saw it in theaters, it's enjoyable for the most part, but not all that special or memorable. I normally like to watch films I see in theaters again when they come out on DVD, but I still have yet to bother checking out Holmes again... It will be a movie that I'm sure will get played on TBS a lot in a year or two.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 10, 2010 at 6:43:48 pm

Well, it was the first and only Sherlock Holmes movie my kids had ever wanted to see. We Red Boxed it for 99 cents and had a good time at home. I found at times there was too much "Guy-Richie-Ness" in it for my taste. The art direction was spectacular and I loved the steampunk elements they introduced into it. You can tell they are setting up for Moriarty in a sequel, but I have to wonder if they'll ever get around to doing it.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 11, 2010 at 3:29:52 pm

I liked Sherlock Holmes and found it enjoyable, but will probably never watch it again as well. I wish Sherlock Holmes didn't muddle as much.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]