FORUMS: list search recent posts

R-Rated Films Linked to Underage Drinking?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
R-Rated Films Linked to Underage Drinking?
on Apr 29, 2010 at 7:06:03 pm

"According to BusinessWeek (via EW), the study surveyed about 3,600 middle-school children in New England, and did a follow-up survey two years later. Of the children who were not allowed to watch R-rated films, 3% had started drinking alcohol, whereas a whopping 19% of kids who were occasionally allowed to watch R-rated movies had started to drink. In addition, 25% of those who said they were allowed to watch R-rated movies “all the time” had begun drinking as well.

James Sargent, a professor at Dartmouth Medical School and the author of the study, commented that “the research to date suggests that keeping kids from R-rated movies can help keep them from drinking, smoking and doing a lot of other things that parents don’t want them to do.” He also noted that 90% of R-rated movies depict some form of alcohol consumption. “We think seeing the adult content actually changes their personality,” Sargent added."

I watched R-rated movies all the time when I was a kid, and I DID have my first night of drinking at 17... I however, at the time, was not thinking about movies when I did it. I hate these generalizing studies that apparently someone must get paid a lot of money to "research". It's always as if other factors never play into things.

Full article here:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/04/27/watching-r-rated-films-linked-to-early-...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: R-Rated Films Linked to Underage Drinking?
on May 3, 2010 at 6:41:49 pm

This is an example of drawing a logically fallacious corellation. You can match any two things up on a chart and try to make people draw a conclusion about their relationship, even if they don't have one.

This chart suggests that what Al Gore really needs in his corner are more pirates.

Because the human mind is built to try to find patterns and correlations. Even where they are none.

I could as easily, and likely more accurately, draw the inference from that "study" that parents who don't let their kids watch R-rated movies are likely to frown on other inappropriate and age-inappropriate behaviors, and enforce those rules more than a parent that lets kids attend anything they want.

The movie is not the cause of the drinking. The movie watching when it is not appropriate is a tell-tale that the parenting is absent, and with defective parenting, the kids will do all manner of bad things.

But the pea-brained excuses that pass for journalists these days try to compress the essence of the story into a punchy, attractive headline and boom, there is your fake fact.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 3, 2010 at 7:43:40 pm

[Mark Suszko] "This is an example of drawing a logically fallacious corellation."

Mark,

It most certainly is not a fallacious correlation. I can attest to the fact that when I was underage, every time I took a girl to an R-rated movie, we immediately went directly from the movie to go drinking.

Furthermore, we'd then go fool around. So, there's no doubt in my mind that both underage drinking and underage sex can both be linked to R-rated films. Of course, we would have done all that even if we hadn't gone to the movies, but that's besides the point.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 3, 2010 at 8:12:27 pm

You trying to be the exception that proves the rule? :-)

I WILL say that among consenting adults, there IS a scene in the Will Ferrel movie, "Stranger Than Fiction" that WILL get you some "results"... if you have ANY game whatsoever, and your date has any weakness at all for romantic cute. So I owe Wreckless Eric a free beer if I ever meet him...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]