FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jane Got a Gun

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Jane Got a Gun
on Feb 4, 2016 at 3:37:29 pm
Last Edited By Scott Roberts on Feb 4, 2016 at 3:37:43 pm

Once again, I'm going to put my fancy liberal arts degree to good use, and do another free form movie review, where I just let the thoughts and critiques randomly come out in whatever form they please. This works best for middle-of-the-road kind of average movies where I struggle to even come up with anything to talk about in traditional review formats, and Natalie Portman's new western movie Jane Got A Gun is just that. So let's get started.

Give us the basic premise, but sung like that Aerosmith song that is apparently in no way affiliated with this movie:

Janie's got a gun
Actually, Janie's got like two guns
Her whole world's come undone
She doesn't know how to hold a gun.
What did her husband dooooooo?
Why's he got a bunch of bullet holes in his baaaaaack?
They said when Janie got desperate
they found her asking her ex-husband for heeeeeeeelp.
But man, that's kind of a jerk move, ' Now that Janie's got a new husband
she can't beat Ewan McGregor's entire gang alone. Ok, I kinda trailed off from the song here at the end. Whatever.
(cymbal crash, cymbal crash)
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET EMOOOOOOOOOOTIOOOOOON.
Ya talk about things and nobody cares
Bah-dodee-da-dumble-dee-dum
Wearing other things that - ok, I'll stop.

Give us a pie chart of everything summed up in this movie:

Give a line-by-line copy and pasting of how crappy it was to get this movie made:

-The script by Brian Duffield appeared on the 2011 Black List, an annual listing of the most popular unproduced screenplays.
-In May 2012, it was announced that Natalie Portman would star in the film as the title character Jane Hammond and that Lynne Ramsay would direct.
-In August 2012, Michael Fassbender was reported as being in talks to play the role of Dan Frost, Jane's ex-lover.
-In December 2012, Joel Edgerton was cast as John Bishop, the villain of the film.
-On February 4, 2013, Rodrigo Santoro was announced to have joined the cast, playing a character named Fitchum.
-On March 11, it was revealed that Fassbender had to leave the film due to scheduling conflicts with X-Men: Days of Future Past.
-Ramsay then recast Joel Edgerton in the vacated role of Dan Frost and cast Jude Law in the role of John Bishop.
-On March 19, it was announced that Ramsay had left the production as director.
-On March 20, Gavin O'Connor was announced as her replacement.
-The same day, it was also announced that Jude Law had left the film, for the reason that he had signed on to work with Ramsay.
-Cinematographer Darius Khondji also left the production, and was replaced by Mandy Walker.
-Anthony Tambakis, the screenwriter of O'Connor's previous film Warrior, was hired to rewrite the script.
-On April 5, it was announced that Bradley Cooper would replace Law in the role of John Bishop.
-On April 10, it was announced that Noah Emmerich had been cast in the final lead role of Bill Hammond, Jane's husband.
-On May 1, it was announced that Cooper was withdrawing from the film. Cooper revealed that he was leaving because of scheduling conflicts with American Hustle.
-On May 6, Ewan McGregor was announced to take over the role of John Bishop from Bradley Cooper.
-Originally the film was set to be distributed in the U.S. by Relativity Media, and The Weinstein Company, and was set to be released on August 29, 2014.
-On April 24, 2014, the studio set a February 20, 2015, release date for the film, which was later moved back to September 4.
-In July 2015, Relativity Media lost their distribution rights to the film, amid their filing for bankruptcy.
-The Weinstein Company then acquired the film.
-As one final gambit, the producers opted into what’s called a “service deal,” an arrangement where they would actually pay the distributors a flat fee and small percentage of the box-office returns just to get it into theaters, at no additional expense to the Weinstein Company.
-The film was released in the United States on January 29, 2016.
-The film ended up making $803,000 off of a $25 million budget in its first weekend. The film scored a mere $664 per theater average, in 1210 theaters. This is, by far, the worst wide release opening in Portman’s career and the worst opening on a per theater average.

Is there a GIF that accurately portrays all of that?

Let's do some quick Haikus! It's a 'Ku-Fire Challenge! (I started watching Top Chef this season)

Took four years to make
Took one weekend to dismiss
That's movie making

Michael Fassbender
Bradley Cooper and Jude Law
All of them no-shows

In all honesty
You know what this could have used?
Big metal spiders

Could you come up with some alternate titles for Jane Got A Gun?

Mild Mild West
3:10 to Redbox
This Will Make Less Than A Fistful of Dollars
The Alright, the Middling, and the Standard
High Noon Matinee Screenings Only
Rio Minuto
The Adequate Seven
How The Profit Was Lost
The Movie That Bored Liberty Valance

Those were fun. Do you have any more?

'OK'-lahoma!

Alright let's wrap this up and forget we even saw this in about two weeks. What's your grade?

It's not good, bad, or ugly. It's just kinda THERE. I'd give it a C-, and a "Rent it...? ...maybe? ...If you want? ...It's up to you? But there's probably something better to watch...?".

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Jane Got a Gun
on Feb 4, 2016 at 4:13:24 pm

A few thoughts:

I don't remember Ewan McGregor being mentioned in "Janie's Got a Gun." My recollection was Samuel L Jackson, though 1989 was a confusing time for me.

I thought that timeline of production changes was going to finish with:

August 2015 - Mrs' O'Malley's 4th grade class took over production with Wendell Goldberg, head of the AV Club, as DP and Jessica Sanderson, best known for playing Gretel in the Parker Valley Elementary School's production of "Hansel and Gretel" taking on the role of director.

Sept 2015 - Wendell Goldberg had a falling out with the director. Wendell wanted to shoot with the Samsung Galaxy 3 phone, while Sanderson preferred the iPhone 4s. Ultimately the new DP, Mrs. O'Malley herself, decided to shoot on Hi8.

This movie actually appeared on my local RedBox before they even finished shooting it, and nobody rented it.

I feel bad for Portman. After the Prequels, she was lucky to ever work again. After Black Swan she took one crappy project after another including this one. She had better get on the ball, reunite with Luc Besson, and shoot The Cleaner where she mentors a new down on her luck orphan in the art of..er..sanitation.

If Besson is not available, I have a new Galaxy 6s and I am friends with Wendell Goldberg - we're available.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
Re: Jane Got a Gun
on Feb 8, 2016 at 2:24:46 pm

As always, great review. Love the name suggestions!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]