FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Godfather Epic & Abe Vigoda

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
The Godfather Epic & Abe Vigoda
on Jan 27, 2016 at 5:15:17 pm
Last Edited By Scott Roberts on Jan 27, 2016 at 5:20:15 pm

Did anyone else catch the cut of the first two Godfather movies that HBO aired last week called "The Godfather Epic"? It was a chronological cut of the two movies into one giant 7 hour DVR recording. I think there were a couple of deleted scenes inserted into it as well. I watched it all over the last few days. If you're wondering what the complex chronological cut would feel like, it's basically:

Young Vito Corleone (De Niro) storyline from Godfather 2
The entirety of Godfather 1
The 1950's Las Vegas stuff from Godfather 2

My thoughts: While this is definitely not the preferred way to watch these movies, it was slightly interesting to see the Godfather 2 stuff without the parallel cutting. I mean, it completely destroys the brilliant impact that the editing was supposed to have, but whatever. Worth a watch once. The young Vito stuff with De Niro actually played pretty nice as one 75 minute chunk. But the 1950s Vegas storyline was kind of blocky, and not as interesting when it was presented as one big thing. Some of the scene transitions were noticeably weird. And of course, Godfather 1 was just Godfather 1 exactly as it always is.

Maybe the fact that I watched it in chunks over a few days took away from the intended purpose of having the entire story presented in chronological order, but hey, I didn't have time to watch 7 hours of TV in a row this week. Oh well. Good movies. Godfather 1 > Godfather 2, and I don't get why anyone says different.

And then out of sheer coincidence while watching this, Abe Vigoda died. My fiance was like "Are you watching this in memory of Vigoda?" And I was like "No, I started it on Sunday!"

Anyway, I'll be honest, I only really know Abe Vigoda as Tessio in The Godfather, and as a frequent guest actor on pre-Tonight Show Conan O'Brien bits that I used to watch back in the day, and he always delivered on those. I'm sure some of the other guys around here know Vigoda from other things, feel free to share what else he was good in!

Here's some of his funny work on Conan:

https://vid.me/AcMg

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: The Godfather Epic & Abe Vigoda
on Jan 28, 2016 at 6:30:24 pm

He had a small recurring role in the original Hawaii Five-O as a "retired" mobster who would occasionally cooperate with five-o with information or contacts. Dressed in a Hawaian shirt and flashing the shaka "hang loose" hand signal at McGarrett, Abe looked AWESOMEly cool.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: The Godfather Epic & Abe Vigoda
on Jan 29, 2016 at 9:38:07 pm

He was great in Barney Miller

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]