FORUMS: list search recent posts

Netflix

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Netflix
on Jan 21, 2016 at 3:55:49 pm

Oh Yeah, Pee-wee's Big Holiday:

I got to say, I'm now looking forward to this.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Netflix
on Jan 21, 2016 at 6:03:38 pm

I just heard about this last night when Paul Ruebens was a guest judge on Face Off. Seems like a good use of Netflix's money!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Face Off, Re: Netflix
on Jan 21, 2016 at 7:11:42 pm

[Scott Roberts] "Paul Ruebens was a guest judge on Face Off"

Man, I keep meaning to start a thread on Face Off. What a fun show! It started off just kind of a fun, kicky, thing -- young artists doing movie makeup challenges -- but each of the last couple of seasons dramatically raised the level of the work that the artists are doing. It's still just an off-kilter low-budget competition show, but it's genuinely creative, and has a sweetness that's almost entirely lacking from the competition TV genre. It's NICE.

I think one reason it has been getting better over the years is just visibility. People see that there's such a thing as going to film school and majoring in makeup, or going to standalone to movie makeup schools, or that some kids who are making movies are doing it not to become directors but makeup artists.

I think it also appeals to me because a lot of these people are nerds, but they're not treated like freaks. I had friends like these in high school, even if I didn't have either the skills or the boldness to actually run with them.

And these people do all have skills. You can't bluff your way onto a show like this, or hog camera time because you're loud and annoying. Can you draw? No? Can you paint? No? Sculpting skills? No? Then you're not on the show. Your emotional meltdown is not gonna keep the camera on you, but your ability to keep your shit long enough together to fix your mistakes with a combination of shrinkwrap and glitter will.

Not that I want to overstate either the entertainment value or spiritual value of a show like this, but I do find it weirdly endearing and kind of empowering. My still-wounded teenage art nerd loner manic depressive self finds some healing there, and yeah, life is better with more shrinkwrap and glitter in it.

And man oh man, Paul Ruebens.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Face Off, Re: Netflix
on Jan 22, 2016 at 3:01:06 pm

Pee Wee is going to play the father of Penguin on the upcoming season of Gotham.... and this is going to be a - mazing. The guy playing Penguin has done some riveting turns in this show.

As to Face-Off, I like to watch it in bursts of several episodes to skip past the repetition and recap stuff, so we can just see the work and final results. They have gotten into a funky trope where the one really stern judge with all the piercings and tats is always looking super angry, and they build up the tension with music ans editing to make it look like he's going to say he hates something, and invariably now, it seems, he actually loves it.

It's become a running joke in our house to squinch up our eyes and look really tough, then to say of something: "I loved it. Best effort yet."

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Face Off, Re: Netflix
on Jan 25, 2016 at 11:48:03 pm

Oh man, I just love Face Off! I started watching it on a whim at the start of season 2, and have seen every episode since. It's kind of like reality competition TV done right.

[Tim Wilson] "Your emotional meltdown is not gonna keep the camera on you, but your ability to keep your shit long enough together to fix your mistakes with a combination of shrinkwrap and glitter will."

One of the things that makes it such a great unique reality show is that there are so few abrasive personalities. Everyone helps each other out, and there's mutual respect for everyone. It's also possibly the one show in the history of reality shows that has never featured a fight back at the house where all the contestants are staying. I think they just go home and sleep immediately at the end of the day, haha! No drunken hot tub moments, or people confronting each other over stupid crap. It's all about making a good make up.

[Mark Suszko] "They have gotten into a funky trope where the one really stern judge with all the piercings and tats is always looking super angry"

I'll admit they probably told Glenn to be "the angry one" from the very beginning, because I've seen him be happy and somewhat funny in the moments when he's not judging. But he's probably one of my favorite judges on TV just because he makes me laugh to look at him and what he's wearing every week. He's a goofy looking guy, but I still respect his critique of movie make up.

I know Mike Cohen watches Face Off from previous threads, and he nailed a statement about how great the judges are on this show as compared to other competition shows. These are all *successful* people in the make-up industry, who have won multiple Academy Awards and work on huge budget mainstream projects. Like, their opinions and input are incredibly legit. And Michael Westmore (the guy who strolls in for mid-episode advice, I think he's also the producer/creator of Face Off?) is a legend in that field. Just digging around Wikipedia will reveal how groundbreaking the Westmore family has been for generations. Too bad it stopped at McKenzie... Haha, I kid. I kid.

The only other shows with industry legends judging would be, what? Top Chef? Ink Master? Those are the only other two that I watch that i can think of. Most music competitions (which I personally don't watch) have people's whose opinions I tend not to care about in any way. Also, they have audience voting, which makes judges pointless to begin with, right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]