FORUMS: list search recent posts

And the Nominees are...

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
And the Nominees are...
on Jan 14, 2016 at 3:07:59 pm

THE OTHER NOMINEES DON'T MATTER RIGHT NOW, BECAUSE MAD MAX: FURY ROAD GOT 10 NOMINATIONS.

10 NOMINATIONS.

HELL YES.

http://giphy.com/gifs/14ymAl7ywLu8og/html5

I guess I can comment on the other stuff too...

Hateful Eight should have gotten a little more love, I thought, but it got a few things, I can't complain.

Sicario should have gotten Screenplay and Emily Blunt acting noms as well, oh well.

Ex Machina for Screenplay and Visual effects is great. Though Vikander should have gotten nominated for this instead of Danish Girl. No one wants to see The Danish Girl.

Star Wars got 3 technical category nominations. That's about the best we could hope for, I suppose.

The Good Dinosaur got left out, but I haven't seen any of the non-Inside Out films in that category, so they might be way better, I don't know?

Looks like I need to watch Room, it got some heavy nominations. I hear it's pretty depressing, though.

I liked The Revenant a lot (led the pack with 12 nominations), but I will feel slightly bitter if it steals all of Mad Max's thunder, which is a shame. Tom Hardy was a fun choice for supporting actor in Revenant though.

Stallone's nomination was cool, but Creed should have gotten more nominations in general. Why all the love for Bridge of Spies. That movie was mediocre as mediocre gets.

Did I mention that the amazing action movie Mad Max Fury Road got 10 prestigious Academy Award nominations? Because I think you need to soak that in and enjoy it a little more.

Here's the full list:

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: And the Nominees are...
on Jan 14, 2016 at 3:12:01 pm

Star Wars got 4* nominations, oops. I can't edit my original post for some reason.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 14, 2016 at 3:24:27 pm

Apparently I can't count. Star Wars got 5* nominations (didn't see the one for John Williams' score). Haha, just ignore me at this point.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 14, 2016 at 9:29:23 pm

I have a confession to make.

This awards season is difficult for me because I hold the opinion that Mad Max: Fury Road is merely just an okay movie.

I saw it before it was overly hyped, so it's not like I was fatigued by it. I thought it was entertaining. I love the female protagonist and supporting characters. I think the sparse script and plot is pretty cool, if a bit too sparse. But I just thought it was "fine" with no urge to see it again, and I can't tell ANYBODY about this except you guys because I'll be TARRED and FEATHERED by the whole internet.

Keep me in your thoughts during this trying time.

I will say that seeing action movies or science fiction-y premises getting accolades is a nice change of pace from dark, sad, angry movies. If Fury Road getting 10 nominations were the worst thing to come out of the Oscars, that would be pretty rad.

Unfortunately, the actual worst thing is the complete lack of diversity. Mega-unfortunately, it reflects Hollywood pretty well. Though I'm surprised Creed didn't get more attention, I've heard nothing but good things about it for a month.

The Revenant getting such recognition is kind of a bummer to me only because most of the stories I've heard are about how DIFFICULT it was to make, and how everyone suffered and froze and such. I don't dig that. Filmmaking is really hard and I've definitely frozen and sweated for the love of the art, but when you're at such a high level, you should be able to afford your crew more creature comforts.

I think a set should be a safe, inviting place to create...not a place everyone kind of dreads. So that's a bummer, but everyone has their own method. Given the opportunity, I'd sooner run to a set run by Jill Soloway than Iñárritu, but not everyone feels that way.

Then again, I haven't seen the film, so maybe it's good enough for me not to care about anyone's well-being.

I really enjoyed The Martian as a book, but again I felt the movie was just fine. It didn't raise it above the level of what the book could offer. I thought Star Wars was a better overall movie than The Martian or Mad Max.

But whatever, I guess. I bet the voting was pretty close since Star Wars was nominated for editing, and The Martian wasn't nominated for directing.

I was glad to see When Marnie Was There in the animated category. I haven't seen Inside Out, though the premise is enough to make me sad. When Marnie Was There was one of the most beautiful movies I've seen in a long time. You can probably tell where it's going pretty early, but it happens with such a nice twilight-y sort of aesthetic, you hardly care. It was the most immersive movie I saw last year, I think.

And hey, gender parity in the editing category. With the women editing action movies. That's pretty rad, even if it's not at all indicative of the landscape of things. (Also a woman in the VFX category! If I recall correctly, she is only the second woman to ever be nominated for this award.)

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 20, 2016 at 11:12:50 pm

[Kylee Peña] "Keep me in your thoughts during this trying time. "

Hahaha. Listen, I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with not thinking Fury Road is all that great. But it *is* undeniably cool that a movie of its kind is being appreciated by a crowd that normally doesn't even acknowledge its existence (old Academy voters), right? And that's because underneath the exploding metal-on-metal exterior of Fury Road's final product, it is a SUPER well-made movie; with an amazing, almost unbelievable amount of craft put into it. I hope you're not just upset because you didn't invest in Chrome Spray Paint stock like the rest of us? :)

[Kylee Peña] "The Revenant getting such recognition is kind of a bummer to me only because most of the stories I've heard are about how DIFFICULT it was to make, and how everyone suffered and froze and such. I don't dig that. "

I really hope it doesn't win because of that as well, because I don't see how the Revenant was so much more difficult to shoot than the giant, multi-year effort that was Fury Road, either. [everything always comes back to Fury Road with me, sorry]

[Kylee Peña] "And hey, gender parity in the editing category. With the women editing action movies. That's pretty rad, even if it's not at all indicative of the landscape of things."

Hopefully that can ease everyone's tension that only white people were nominated in the acting categories this year...? (doubt it, and justifiably so)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]