FORUMS: list search recent posts

2016 Golden Globes

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
2016 Golden Globes
on Jan 11, 2016 at 3:26:49 pm

Yawn.....what an absolutely boring awards show. The director should be fined for making truly bad television. Ricky Gervais is right, you could do these in 30 minutes. And for the love of Godard - let the winners speak for more than 20 seconds. High five to Ridley Scott for talking right over the music - what were they going to do, pull him off the stage with a giant candy cane?!

I think the most telling thing about this show was how few nominated tv shows are on NBC, CBS, ABC or FOX. If these old networks have not yet figured out what they are doing wrong, then they really should stick to news, live sports and talk shows.

This was actually the first I have watched NBC since the Thanksgiving Day parade, and then it was just background noise.

Just my opinion of course.

Mike Cohen

PS - Kate Winslet - stop acting so shocked to win awards.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: 2016 Golden Globes
on Jan 11, 2016 at 4:44:15 pm

I just don't watch any award shows any more, never mind the Globes.

But hey, the second season of "Todd Margaret" is on now, and it is a weird re-visiting of last season from a different perspective.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 11, 2016 at 5:19:47 pm

I watched the Globes in the background while I helped my future mother-in-law grade school papers. Let's just say that it was probably best served as something I listened to and lifted my head up for every 30 seconds or so. Having to sit there and watch it with full attention might not have been possible. As Mike said, it was... ...unflinchingly boring. But here are a few of my notes, if I can even remember what happened?

-Ricky's opening monologue was alright, but I don't even remember anything from it except the joke about film companies buying Golden Globes for their clients, which was pretty funny.

-Lady Gaga winning for a show as bad as American Horror Story is only made worse when it's realized she beat out Kristen Dunst for Fargo. That was a classic HFPA "we love celebrities!" win.

-Sam Smith won for that awful James Bond song? Yikes.

-The Ricky Gervais / Mel Gibson thing was funny/uncomfortable.

-John Hamm's Chumbawamba joke bombed, and bombed hard. But I laughed at it.

-Good for The Revenant, and for Leo. I just saw it the other day (review to come later this week), and it probably deserves the praise it's getting. But it's no Mad Max.

-Oh man, I totally agree with you Mike, Kate Winslet should take it down a notch. It's 1) only a Golden Globe, and 2) it's not even her first Golden Globe.

-I don't know who she was or what she won for, but I remember there being a screaming woman spitting out her speech as fast as possible as the audience chuckled to themselves about her insanity. And did I catch that she said she was on a CW show, and she was discovered on YouTube? I'm... not surprised I have no idea who she is.

-What the heck is Mozart in the Jungle?

-They played the "get off the stage" music for basically everybody. I did kind of laugh at how by the end of the show, presenters were just coming out, not doing any flavor script, and going right into "And the nominees for Best Comedy are..." Very poorly executed direction of a three hour awards show.

-The commercials for the new show Telenovela on NBC looked AWFUL.

-In addition to a lot of the winners being kind of boring picks, a lot of them were also on things that most people haven't even watched. I didn't even think Maura Tierney still acted...! [looks her up on IMDb] Ohhhhh, she's just on an endless amount of TV shows I don't watch.

-I remember nothing else.

[Mark Suszko] "But hey, the second season of "Todd Margaret" is on now, and it is a weird re-visiting of last season from a different perspective."

I am very excited for these, I have the first three of the new season on my DVR. The commercials looked pretty hilarious.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 11, 2016 at 5:28:24 pm

I dunno if anybody will "get" the second season of Todd Margaret without having first seen season one, since the entire second season is referencing the first season in every scene as if it were all one show.

David Cross has serious comedic chops.

And if you never saw season one of this show, stop whatever it is you pretend to care about and binge-watch it now.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jan 13, 2016 at 3:15:42 pm

I didn't watch it, but when I caught up on the buzz that night one of the first big pieces of news I heard was Stallone's big win and inspiring speech. When I watched it all I could think was, he didn't eve thank Ryan Coogler who was the whole force behind it! I heard he ran back on stage and thanked him, but I still think thanking Coogler should have been the first thing out of his mouth.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]