FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Expanse and Childhood's End

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
The Expanse and Childhood's End
on Dec 14, 2015 at 10:39:25 pm

I largely gave up on the sci fi network after Bonnie Hammer's reign of ghost-wrestling terror fell upon the network. But she's gone and they're swinging the pendulum back towards some interesting and entertaining programming; you should check out The Expanse 2-paet premiere tonight, and their take on Ray Bradbury's 'Childhood's End", coming up.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: The Expanse and Childhood's End
on Dec 15, 2015 at 3:12:53 pm

Childhood's End hooked my wife into wanting to see more, which means it works okay. I'm not in love with the art direction or photography, but the acting is okay. This has the look of a cheaper show, but that doesn't mean it's bad. The script carries the flavor of Clarke's original voice. Based on the voice (I didn't look it up), the unseen Overlord's voice sounds like Terence Stamp ;-)

The Expanse looked amazing; almost too much detail by comparison - you want to constantly stop and roll back the video to step-frame thru all the detail. I found the audio track a little muddy. Story is great, though; hard boiled noir cop story overlaid on an interplanetary space war theme. "Mike" from "Better Call Saul" and "Breaking Bad" was in this, but for just about five minutes. I hope his character comes back but it doesn't seem like he will.

Expanse goes to a lot of effort to make things look scientifically accurate and sociologically plausible. The lack of artificial gravity means everybody in the cast who spends long years out in the asteroid belt looks spindly, thin, with long, weak bones and atrophied muscle... they all look like heroin addicts, in fact. The space ships all obey normal Newtonian physics, and their behavior and layout are realistic and practical. CGI tricks make long hair fly all over the place in low grav, pretty convincing. They use the old trope of magnetic shoes to "walk" around on board ships, but the walking gait isn't quite right, considering the inertia of the upper body wants to over-run the anchored feet all the time. The special walking pattern is something the actors still need to practice and keep consistent, but that's a minor nerd quibble. The plot is just starting to shape up, and characters just beginning to come into focus, so I'm hooked and wanting to see how it develops. Very promising start, and worth the wait.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]