FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tribute to FILMEX

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Pallenberg
Tribute to FILMEX
on Apr 19, 2010 at 11:40:40 pm

Back in the 70's - 80's there was a film expo is LA called FILMEX - they used to close with a 48 hour straight screening. It was the first time / place I saw 5000 Fingers of Dr. T, Solaris, A Boy and His Dog, and many others. A few friends and I relived it this weekend with a 12 hour fest 6PM to 6AM (best chance to get away from the kids) - mostly in an effort to recapture out youth - but also to see if HOLY MOUNTAIN still holds up - as this film blew us away back then...

IT DOES - wow what a crazy, beautiful film - finally out on DVD - I highly suggest you watch it (as well as El Topo & Santa Sangre).

I also recommend you get a few friends together and do a all nighter. 3AM screenings gives films an interesting perspective. If you do it - don't open the floor up to voting on what film is next...

FYI - the theme was midnight madness films (no zombies allowed - thats next year)... and I gotta say HEAVY METAL did NOT hold up, but VIDEODROME sure did!

Also we were probably the largest group to view WON TON TON THE DOG WHO SAVED HOLLYWOOD since it opening day.... cast of thousands of old Hollywood - but not worth the rental.

Thanks,
Harry

Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc
Forum Cowmunity Leader: HDV

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 2GB ** 10.5.4 (Office / Photoshop)
Dual 2.0 G5 ** 4GB ** 10.5.4 Kona 2 (FCP 6.0.4 Machine)

http://www.womeninboxes.com
The Documentary Film about Magic's Better Half.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Tribute to FILMEX
on Apr 26, 2010 at 2:46:52 pm

This sounds pretty awesome. I like Heavy Metal for the pure insanity of it, and I hear they are making a new one (with David Fincher, Guillermo Del Toro, and James Cameron involved!). That might be pretty awesome with updated animation techniques and creative people working behind it. I just hope the Loc-nar is still involved!

And I remember seeing Videodrome for the first time when I was in high school, and what I took away from it was to never watch a mysterious television show that causes brain tumors and gaping, oozing VHS holes in your stomach.

I think that was the first David Cronenberg movie I ever saw. And at the time I thought it was really disgusting (good but disgusting), but at that point I had yet to see The Fly or Naked Lunch. I wish more movies would use non-CGI gore, and return to a time when pulsing, bloody mutations were hand-crafted in a workshop, ya know, with love.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]