FORUMS: list search recent posts

Colbert Late Show Thread

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Colbert Late Show Thread
on Sep 8, 2015 at 3:22:41 pm

Placeholder for our reactions to the new show. I got to see some BTS shots of the revamped Ed Sullivan theater, and I have to say, the digital projected stained glass ceiling dome featuring the Colbert name and likeness made me smirk. I'm probably going to go out of my way to DVR all the competing late night shows this week and compare/contrast.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Colbert Late Show Thread
on Sep 9, 2015 at 3:20:53 pm

So, initial impressions;

Studio audience still doesn't get that this is not the Colbert Report. I got impatient with all the applause breaks.

The set is a little on the ADD-esque side, but has nice features.

You could tell he was nervous all during the show and yet, he held it together admirably. I think he needs a week or two to blow out the carbon residue, slow down, and re-establish his rhythm. The material for the first show was pretty tame - I look for that to loosen up with time.

I like the Les Moonves joke with the switching between Colbert and The Mentalist. Showed a network Suit can have a sense of humor.

Have not made up my mind about the band yet, need to hear more of them.

Sweet jumping Jebus on a pogo stick, but they ran a ton of commercials leading into the show.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 9, 2015 at 10:56:29 pm

I watched it during my lunch break today, it was... decent.

I really enjoyed the cursed amulet joke the most, that was right in line with my sense of humor. Everything else was pretty much just what I expect from a late night talk show. It was funny, but the only late night/variety show I actively DVR is John Oliver, and it's probably going to stay that way.

I do like Stephen Colbert though, and think he's a really likable guy.

On a related-ish note, Colbert was a guest voice actor on the latest episode of (probably my favorite show on TV) Rick and Morty. It's like Futurama, but funnier and more obscene, while retaining ALL of the ingenious sci-fi creativity and intelligence:

And if you're like, Rick and Morty, what's that crap? Why is Scott pitching us some dumb cartoon only he probably watches?

It has a 9.2 on IMDb, an 85% on Metacritic, and 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, and pulls in the 5th highest ratings for Sunday nights, even though it's a cartoon on Adult Swim at 11:30 pm. You guys should probably just watch it. It's hilarious.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/08/25/sunday-cable-ratings-fear-the-w...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 10, 2015 at 12:32:57 pm

I didn't know the first show ran two and a half hours long, had to get edited down, and very nearly missed the air time window due to FTP problems:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/video/4D32E70E-...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]