FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Shutter island": continuity gaffes as artistic expression

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paulo Jan
"Shutter island": continuity gaffes as artistic expression
on Apr 9, 2010 at 12:09:06 am

Hi all:

While reading a debate on "Shutter island" on another blog, and specifically about the (according to them) lousy continuity on most Scorsese's films, I found a poster mentioning in an offhand way that, in "Shutter island", the continuity gaffes were used deliberately as a way to express the protagonist's mental state, since after all the whole movie is narrated through his POV (if you remember the ending you'll know what I mean). Now, I've got to admit that I don't have a great eye for this, specially when I'm watching a movie on the theater for the first time, but the only really glaring continuity error I saw was the one with the glass of water, when the two marshals were interrogating the woman (and yes, that one *had* to be deliberate). Did anyone else notice other cases of bad continuity, specially cases that could be considered "deliberately" bad?

Paulo.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: "Shutter island": continuity gaffes as artistic expression
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:48:51 pm

I'm also not good at noticing continuity errors (but once someone points them out to me, it's all I can think about), but I have to think a filmmaker as good as Scorsese does them intentionally. And I don't mean like a shoe is tied in one shot and untied in the next, I mean blatantly noticeable errors. Especially in Shutter Island. By the end of the film, the editing and storytelling went so haywire, I think wacky continuity in the storytelling did nothing BUT help that film.

**SPOILERS**
**SPOILERS**
**SPOILERS**

The only continuity I really noticed when I saw it in theaters was at the end when he had his flashback of pulling his kids out of the water, there was a TON of what I think were deliberately placed continuity errors, like the kids were varying levels of dry/wet, they were moving around on the ground such as they were close together in one shot and far apart in later shots. Arms were changing positions. I really have a hard time judging whether this was blatant or being used as an element of his mental state (as it was occurring near the peak of his insanity). Unless Scorsese comes out and says "Oops... my bad..." I think it can be interpretive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]