FORUMS: list search recent posts

The TV Set

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
The TV Set
on Apr 5, 2010 at 1:29:28 pm

This film would be an excellent complement to a night of watching the dark and profane FOX TV series comedy "Action!"

"The TV Set" is about an Exec Producer/writer/showrunner trying to shepherd his very personal and autobiographical dream project thru the development process to get to the stage of a pilot and perhaps a pickup for broadcast.

An all-star cast includes David Ducovny as the hapless writer, and Sigourney Weaver as the crass and solipsistic network production head who is the gatekeeper on the project. Judd Apatow worked on this and probably helped make this film semi-biographical. The plot is structured in such a way that the movie could be a pilot itself for a weekly series, but that never happened. Probably because the themes were too "inside baseball" for a broader audience and like "Action", the cynicism and mocking of the industry was probably hitting the execs in charge a little too close to home.

The film is by turns hysterically funny and believably sad and cynical, quite a downer even as it entertains. The moral you come away with is that it is a brutal business that will destroy everything you love, so do hack work for money but don't try to do projects you love, if you don't want your heart broken and your dreams defiled by the process.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: The TV Set
on Apr 5, 2010 at 2:33:15 pm

It sounds a lot like The Larry Sanders Show, which was amazing, and Apatow worked on it as well. This seems right up my alley, and it slipped right past me, I'm going to have to check this out. Thanks for sharing it!

Return to posts index

Larry Melton
Re: The TV Set
on Apr 27, 2010 at 9:33:39 pm

This was a gem that I ran across on Cinemax late one night. Very funny, especially the scenes depicting the affiliates meeting as the new fall season is unveiled. Anyone who's ever been around a TV station -- or watched TV, for that matter -- will be thoroughly entertained.

Larry Melton

Larry Melton
Triangle Productions Inc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]