FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mad Max: Fury Road

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Mad Max: Fury Road
on May 15, 2015 at 2:20:49 pm

I'm going to attempt to formulate my thoughts into word sounds over the weekend when I have time, but I managed to see Mad Max Fury Road last night... My early reaction:

You should go see this movie.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road
on May 19, 2015 at 1:18:00 pm

There were times in my life when I would plan days in advance to order a pizza. Not just any pizza, but Giordano's stuffed spinach deep dish. On Sunday I would plan out my meals for the week, and I'd make a note to order that $30, extra large pizza all for myself on Thursday, and I'd wait all week knowing that on Thursday, I'd be biting into that delicious wad of melted cheese. And when Thursday finally rolled around, and I picked up that pizza from the restaurant, and almost ritualistically cut it and sat down with two slices on my plate; that first bite was almost dizzying. It was a high expectation living up to a reality. Nothing about it let me down. That's where Mad Max: Fury Road comes in. I haven't been so hyped up for a movie in a while, and when it ended up being everything I hoped for, it became worth the agonizing wait.

Uggghhhh. Ya know, I'm really sorry I wasted your time with that pizza metaphor. I probably should have just started with the sentence "I haven't been so hyped up for a movie...". I always have to attempt to make dumb comparisons to food. That's a crappily accurate expectation you should probably have for my reviews by now. So at least I didn't let you down in that regard.

Anyway, Fury Road tells the continuing story of Max Rockatansky (now Tom Hardy, formerly Mel Gibson), as he travels the awful dystopian wasteland of a future I don't think I'd survive in. They don't even have HBO in this future. It sucks. Also, everyone is dehydrated and their bones are deteriorating. I don't really want to give anything away, because everyone should be required to watch this movie at some point, but he basically runs into a lady named Furiosa (Charlize Theron) during the first 10 minutes of a two hour long chase scene, initiated by a crazed warlord named Immortan Joe (played by the same guy who played Toecutter in the original Mad Max). Pretty much everyone in this movie has an awesome character name, and they don't even mention 80% of them out loud.

One of the strongest aspects of the story is the almost ballsy, matter-of-fact way that it doesn't bother to explain anything. From the weird swamp people on stilts to the metallic spray paint the warriors shoot in their mouths before doing something suicidal; the movie leaves it to the audience to figure it out for themselves, or be weirded out completely, or both. Why are they spitting fluid into the pipes of their cars? To make it go faster, dummy! Why is there a blind freak suspended by wires playing a flamethrower guitar on a giant amplifier monster truck? I feel like if you have to ask that, you're not enjoying life enough.

This movie offers itself to be as weird as possible, while simultaneously not doing anything that makes me go "Why is this happening?". It's about as accessible as a $150 million exploding car chase nightmare can be. It's an overhyped, expensive summer blockbuster that somehow managed to keep the spirit of a trashy grindhouse movie, and guess what? Pretty much everyone likes it. This bodes well for the future.

I think there was only maybe 45 seconds of the characters actually talking about why they wanted to go somewhere, and what was actually there. Other than that, the movie just used insane visuals and unexplained behavior to push the narrative and do some truly spectacular world building. You'll learn less about the universe of this film from exposition than you will from watching a guy fill his car with flammable liquid and try to light himself on fire while screaming "VALHALLA!". This movie is all about the explosition. See what I did there? Yeah, I'll pat myself on the back for that one.

It probably helps that this movie is a consistent showcase of amazing stunt work and cinematography that gets burned into your retinas for days after seeing it. I mean, I know that there's some CGI in it. I'm aware they didn't actually drive through a desert lighting tornado. But all of the (clearly real) guys jumping onto fast moving cars while dangling from weighted flagpoles with things exploding pretty much every ten seconds truly makes the Universal Studios' Adventures of Sindbad stunt show look like a pile of crap. Take THAT, Adventures of Sindbad! Your off-brand, copyright-safe insertion of a "d" into the middle of Sinbad has always irked me!

I want to give a compliment to the editors as well, for taking a film that director George Miller apparently shot 450 hours of footage for, with 6,000 editing hours, and managed to make a series of action scenes that were cut super fast, but not at all illegible. How is it that The Hunger Games can't hold a shot still to save its life, but the movie about a high speed war convoy of psychopathic mutants looked like it was shot with tripods? Also, they used dips to black to transition between major scenes. Dips to black are freakin awesome, in my opinion.

I wanted to wait to see it a second time before I wrote my review, because I was so overwhelmed with excitement the first time through that I wondered if I missed anything? So I saw it again last night, and I was able to focus on all the little details more, and it reassured me that this was a freaking great movie. It's just exciting. I get excited to talk about it with people. I like that I have a movie that I'm excited to recommend to people.

Maybe it won't exactly be your cup of tea, and you won't praise it nearly as highly as I have (I think it's an instant classic), but if you watch this movie and you don't feel at least somewhat excited, then you've got some issues that I'm not sure I want to delve into. If you can't find this exciting, I'm really not sure I even want to know what you actually think is exciting... Because it's probably stupid.

Anyway, good luck, rest of the movies this year; you've got a pretty crazy standard to try to beat. I'm sure Jurassic World and Terminator Gennyssyyss (sp?) won't live up to what they could have been, so, the ball is in your court, Star Wars.

ALL HAIL THE HOLY V8! [sprays mouth with chrome spray paint] [jumps off my 2005 Hyundai War Sonata face first onto a Giordano's delivery car covered in 2000 spikes]

9.5 out of 10

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 19, 2015 at 3:38:12 pm

That's my favorite Giordano's pizza as well. Well, plus sausage, but gotta have the spinach. And mushrooms.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 28, 2015 at 12:37:37 pm

Two things that stuck with me watching this movie:

A Brannock Device used as a gas pedal.

That guitarist. Only way to make it better was to use Flea. Itremionded me of every heavy metal band album cover, EVER.

PS This was my first experience watching a movie at a Carmike Theatre with the small screening rooms, big, comfy reclining chairs with tray tables, and full bar and restaurant meal service that comes to your seat. Expensive but very nice experience, would highly recommend again.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 20, 2015 at 12:00:39 am

[Scott Roberts] "This movie is all about the explosition. See what I did there? Yeah, I'll pat myself on the back for that one."

And another pat from me. Prediction: new Internet meme starts here.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on May 20, 2015 at 4:07:24 pm

I haven't seen the movie, Scott, but your review is hilarious!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on May 21, 2015 at 1:13:09 pm

[Mark Suszko] "That's my favorite Giordano's pizza as well. Well, plus sausage, but gotta have the spinach. And mushrooms."

The spinach really does tie it all together.

[Bob Cole] "And another pat from me."

Thanks! [lights off four M-80s]

[Jason Jenkins] "I haven't seen the movie, Scott, but your review is hilarious!"

Thanks! You gotta go see the movie, though!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on May 21, 2015 at 3:47:55 pm

I sat down in my seat with my whoopers and large soda. With the frantic pace at the start of the movie, I decided I wouldn't be able to catch everything and would wait for the action to slow before digging into my snacks. They sure tasted good as I sat and watched the end credits.

Jeremy Doyle
http://www.jeremydoyle.com

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on May 25, 2015 at 10:18:44 pm

I concur wholeheartedly.

Basically zero plot. Minimal characterisation.

I think it's the best action film I've ever seen. Period.

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on May 25, 2015 at 10:22:12 pm
Last Edited By Alex Hawkins on May 25, 2015 at 10:22:47 pm

BTW in my younger years I have been known to use the expression "Fang it!" on numerous occasions.

Priceless.

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 20, 2015 at 11:27:56 pm

Trailer re-edit of GENIUS

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jul 21, 2015 at 5:23:32 pm