FORUMS: list search recent posts

Truly Outrageous

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Truly Outrageous
on May 14, 2015 at 8:21:49 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on May 14, 2015 at 8:25:00 pm

After a successful kickstarter fundraising round, this remake of an 80's cartoon show is now a movie. In which Juliette Lewis is apparently the Devil, and the plot is "Faust Times" at Ridgemont High

They made... this.... but they can't make the 80's cartoon anime movie reboot *I want to see!?!?!?

(I still have that Yamaha DX7 Keyboard)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Truly Outrageous
on May 14, 2015 at 8:33:33 pm

Wait, this was funded by kickstarter? That is interesting. I thought a big studio had something to do with that. If you think the movie looks dumb you have to admit that getting a film funded by crowd sourcing is really cool.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 14, 2015 at 9:00:17 pm

The fan chatter I skimmed suggested that a crowd-funding effort helped get the pre-production going, I think the overall budget was 4 mil. My guess would be half of that was to cast Julia.

Hasbro owns JEM as well as G.I. Joe - you would think they'd look for some crossover promotion "synergy" to sell toys and such. But there's apparently no push from Hasbro for JEM merch, because the toy market is a slave to the Y chromosomal market. Just look at how Marvel/Mattel has all but erased Black Widow from the Avengers toys marketing. That scene where she's on a motorcycle, dropped from the bomb bay of a quin-jet into high-speed battle? The toy version replaces her on the bike with your choice of Cap or Iron Man. Like Iron Man even NEEDS a motorcycle, he can FLY, WTF!?!?. The logic apparently from the toymakers is that no boys would be interested in Black Widow... and no girls SHOULD be. Let's get Kiley in here for a perspective, perhaps?

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on May 15, 2015 at 2:41:02 pm

When I was a kid who played with Ninja Turtle action figures, I always incorporated April O'Neil into the mix. And not just as someone to rescue. The ninja weapons fit into her hands, too!

Also, I must have missed it in my childhood, but I have never seen or heard of Jem and the Holograms. But based on that trailer... ...it looks awful. I'll just continue to not include it in my life. That's pretty easy to do.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 15, 2015 at 2:46:34 pm

[Scott]

I have never seen or heard of Jem and the Holograms

That would be because it is a show aimed at girls and it started airing in 1985. I only know about it because my wife watched it as a kid and I'm assuming Mark is familiar with the "truly outrageous" phrase because he had a daughter who watched it.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 15, 2015 at 3:36:02 pm

My daughter is only 18. No, I was aware of the show because in it's day, the marketing for it was everywhere, and commercials for the toy line ran across all dayparts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]