FORUMS: list search recent posts

Your Favorite Critic

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Your Favorite Critic
on May 11, 2015 at 8:51:51 pm

Who is your favorite film/tv critic? I used to look forward to the reviews of a few writers - but they are all either dead or "gone" - no longer employed at the job.

Who's next?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Your Favorite Critic
on May 11, 2015 at 9:01:25 pm

I used to enjoy one of our local critics but honestly I enjoy Scott's reviews the best. A lot of critics feel like film snobs that hate movies that the general public loves. Scott blends humor and original ways of presenting a review that I have never seen before. For example reviewing the movie and his restaurant experience and tying the two experiences together. Keep the good reviews coming!

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 12, 2015 at 4:31:48 pm

Used to be Ebert, now sometimes, Elvis Mitchell. But the BEST critic I've seen since Ebert is this guy:

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/

"Mr. Plinkett" from Red Letter media. He's performing a character, but his analysis is dead-on, and many movies would have been better had he had this kind of input before production.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on May 13, 2015 at 4:09:22 am

[Stephen Smith] "I used to enjoy one of our local critics but honestly I enjoy Scott's reviews the best."

Thanks Stephen! That makes me feel good! Of course I see that on a day when I posted a pretty lazy, half-assed review of D-Train. But I've been working about 20 says straight now, and I'm pretty tired, and even though being busy is great, I look forward to the time when I can see multiple movies a week again. I'll do better next time...! Maybe...!

But in terms of my favorite critics, one of the the only dudes I read regularly is Vince Mancini at Filmdrunk. He's got kind of an effortless, snobby-yet-common-man kind of thing where he's really intelligent while simultaneously hating on the critics who obviously consider themselves to be overly-intelligent. If that makes sense. Plus, we tend to like the same movies.

And I also second Mark's choice of Red Letter Media. The Plinkett reviews are definitely the best, but they also do other video reviews like Half in the Bag, where they review newer movies, and Best of the Worst, where they discuss three or four really bad VHS movies in a roundtable-like review. Sometimes their forced schtick can be really stupid, but their insights are usually worthwhile and make me laugh.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]