FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Train Your Dragon

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
How to Train Your Dragon
on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:20:42 pm

We went and saw How to Train Your Dragon last night in IMAX 3D hoping to avoid the weekend crowds (it only kind of worked), but wow, that movie was really good! It looked incredible in IMAX and the 3D was superb. In some scenes, I'd say I enjoyed the 3D more than Avatar. The flying scenes throughout the movie and the final action sequence are just spectacular! I really dug this movie.

And take away the IMAX and the 3D, it was still a pretty good animated film. The characters weren't annoying for the most part, the voice acting is great (especially from the lead character), and the visuals are very interesting. I'd say we were entertained thoroughly from start to finish. This joins Kung Fu Panda as the only two Dreamworks Animation movies I've enjoyed thus far.

But definitely go check out Dragon in IMAX 3D while you can. With Clash of the Titans coming out this weekend, and Alice in Wonderland (and some places Avatar) still out, there's probably going to be a lot of fighting over who gets the limited amount of 3D theaters.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: How to Train Your Dragon
on Mar 30, 2010 at 3:14:56 pm

Ron, Kathlyn and I got to join some other press folks to see the movie at DreamWorks last week. Jeffrey Katzenberg introduced it for us, and we were very, very impressed.

I wrote about it at my COW Blog. There's a little bit of review, but I mostly wrote about the context of 3D development at DreamWorks. They were the first studio to commit to an all-3D slate, and the first company to release more than one animated feature per year - EVER - and this year, it's going to be three. Here at the COW, we like folks who swing for the fences. :-)

We were hosted by HP, and I definitely added some bits about DW's partnership with them, which I also thought added some perspective about the development process. I'd love it if you took a look, and leave a comment if you see fit.

Anyway, I agree, very much worth seeing as a movie, very nice 3D...and certainly at the pinnacle of DreamWorks movies.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 30, 2010 at 10:10:41 pm

That was a great post, Tim! Haha, I'm not that great at exploring Creative Cow, I didn't even know there was an in-depth blog section. That's cool stuff. In terms of the movie I just hope that this, with Up and WALL-E and other animated films of the last few years, that it starts a new wave of animated movies with great technology and emotional depth that wasn't seen that often in the early 2000s.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 30, 2010 at 10:54:19 pm

Thanks for the comment at the blog, Scott. I'll reply there. :-)

In general, though, I agree that there's a new level of emotional storytelling in these animated features. What I found new in Dragon is the emphasis on close-ups to add intensity -- exactly the opposite of the hyper-VFX mega-epics...which the fact is, I still kinda like too....

And yes, the COW blogs are quite remarkable - some of the site's very best writing. This is one of a small handful of forums that isn't focused on just-in-time problem solving, but the blogs lend themselves to a bovine-style rumination particularly well.

I highly encourage folks to hit the BLOGS button at the far right of the orange nav bar, and poke around.

A reminder: if you have a COW account, you have a COW blog. Once you get to the blog home page, click the My COW Blog link in the upper left, and start writing.

Tim Wilson
Creative Cow Magazine!

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Sweeeeet
on Apr 13, 2010 at 1:59:26 am

IMax 3d....wife and three kids.....popcorn an soda....80 bucks.

Worth every penny. Quite impressive, and state of the art really.

Dang I want to ride that thing...

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]