FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better Call Saul - better than Breaking Bad?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Better Call Saul - better than Breaking Bad?
on Mar 25, 2015 at 1:59:24 pm

I think it might just be.

This show has some of the most incredible writing, acting, and direction/editing I've ever seen. It's like Vince Gilligan distilled everything he learned while making BB and extracted an even more purified form of the same storytelling magic. Odenkirk shows a depth you'd never expect. The guy playing Mike, Jonathan Banks, did some Emmy-worthy stuff the last 2 weeks.

If you've never tried it for some reason or another, do try the first 3 episodes, I think you'll be hooked. The first season's almost done, but it already got renewals for 2 more, on the strength of the first couple eps alone. You don't need to have seen Breaking Bad first, as this series is a prequel.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
Re: Better Call Saul - better than Breaking Bad?
on Mar 25, 2015 at 11:32:28 pm

If it's possible, the writing might just be better!

The one thing it doesn't have is Bryan Cranston. He is incredible.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 26, 2015 at 3:18:13 pm

Some people thought Cranston was the entire show. On "BCS", it's got more of an ensemble feel to it, but every character relates to Jimmy in some way.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 31, 2015 at 2:41:16 pm

I don't know if I'd go as far as to call it better, yet. I used to get cold sweats from watching Breaking Bad. That hasn't happened on BCS, and I'm not sure it ever will... BUT I will say that the writing in the first season of BCS is better than the first season of Breaking Bad.

I'm glued to the TV every week, but when both shows have had their full runs, I'm guessing I'll still like the intensity of Breaking Bad overall a little better than Better Call Saul. I just hope Bob Odenkirk gets an Emmy because that would be awesome/hilarious.

On a completely unrelated to BCS but totally related on who I want to win an Emmy out of nowhere, Will Forte has been KILLING IT on that new show The Last Man on Earth, on FOX. One of the best new comedy shows in a while, just saying. The twists keep on getting more and more hilarious.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 1, 2015 at 2:17:58 pm

Last night's Saul episode, "Pimento", just keeps escalating all the plot lines and character development. You may only think of Michael MCKean as Lenny from Laverne & Shirley, or as David St. Hubbins, from Spinal Tap, (or if a Trek nerd, the evil clown episode in ST Voyager). Here, he's doing purely dramatic turns, and did an amazing one last night with Odenkirk. These guys acted the (redacted) out of their scenes. Not to mention the additional peeks we get into the back-story of "Mike", played to perfection by Johnathan Banks. Banks and Odenkirk both should be up for Emmy's for this show.

When I first heard the spin-off concept from BB was going to be all about Saul, I thought about how easy and terrible a conventional quasi-sitcom spinoff like that could have been. ("What goofy client will come into Saul's crazy world THIS week!?!?!" Yuck, yuck, honk-honk.)

What Vince is doing here is pure genius. It's operating at a completely different level, from the shot composition and editing, to the acting, and all based on very spare, yet unexpectedly complicated writing and plotting. Go back and watch the season that is just ending. I promise you will not regret it.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 7, 2015 at 2:11:49 pm

There's the end of the abbreviated Season One. Gorundbreaking stuff. And Jimmy McGill's fall to the Dark Side has begun. I can't wait to see this character's evolution, and all the others.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]