FORUMS: list search recent posts

Farewell to Leonard Nimoy

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Farewell to Leonard Nimoy
on Feb 27, 2015 at 7:22:42 pm

I remember how this scene affected me the first time I saw it, in first run, or the first time it was in re-runs:

Whenever I had a hard time in school, being teased or bullied, Nimoy's characterization of Spock, mastering his emotions, and trying to be rational at all times, gave me solace.

I recently binge-watched the first 5 seasons or so of Mission: Impossible, and it was a lot of fun watching Nimoy play such a range of fake characters as "Paris".

Losing him feels like losing one of the Beatles.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Farewell to Leonard Nimoy
on Feb 27, 2015 at 7:33:37 pm

We just finished Fringe in which he played a memorable Spock-prime-like character.

So many Spock moments to remember.

Luckily for the world, he filmed his own funeral 30 years ago. May we all have such a heartfelt send off

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 3, 2015 at 2:30:37 pm

You guys have much better, heartfelt responses to Mr. Nimoy passing. He seemed like a great guy outside of his professional career as well, after hearing the outpouring of love going his way since he died.

Just to add some other things to his legacy, I thought I'd include two things I remember him fondly from, personally, that maybe not everyone around here knows about.

The first maybe be more mainstream, but as a hardcore Simpsons fan, I always enjoyed his appearances on the show (as well as on Futurama):

And then the much lesser known example of him being great was when he narrated the 1999 Sega Dreamcast game Seaman; one of the weirdest, most ambitious video games ever made, where you grow a tiny fish that you speak to through a microphone and teach it to talk. As the narrator, Nimoy would eventually insult the players sarcastically for doing things like checking in on the fish too often or over feeding it. It was a genuinely bizarre video game experience, and he helped make it eternally memorable.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 3, 2015 at 3:52:36 pm

Nimoy also voiced a key "wonder" in Sid Meyer's Civilization game... when you launch the first satellite, it's Leonard intoning:

"beep, beep, beep..."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]