FORUMS: list search recent posts

My 2015 Oscar Picks!

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
My 2015 Oscar Picks!
on Feb 19, 2015 at 12:35:42 am

I'm back (with my medium accuracy) to pick the Oscar winners! This year, I've strapped myself in a Saw-like torture device that will only deactivate if I get at least a 20 out of 24, so I have to take it really seriously this year! Feel free to share your picks if you find yourself in an equally diabolical torture machine.

Best Picture: Birdman

I think I'm going to go heavy on Birdman this year. Mainly because I thought it was one of the best movies of the year, and I thought Boyhood was like, ok, or whatever. Plus it won some various Guild awards and is (kind of) a movie about making movies. Or at least it is about show business. Oscar voters tend to vote for that kind of self importance.

Best Director: Alejandro Iñárritu (Birdman)

I've been leaning pretty heavily on Linklater pulling one in for Boyhood for a while now, because if anything, the "gimmick" of Boyhood could only have been pulled off under the supervision of a solid and patient director like him. But now I'm just going to throw that aside and say Iñárritu deserves it more because he didn't make a three-hour movie where almost nothing happens.

Best Original Screenplay: Birdman

This very well could end up being Wes Anderson's first Oscar win (which he probably should have just won for Royal Tenenbaums 14 years ago), but I'm face first diving into the Birdman mud pit, and I'm banking on it winning big, or I'm going to be really wrong.

Best Adapted Screenplay: The Imitation Game

This is the only one of the movies that I haven't seen in this category, but it also seems like the most Oscar-baity safe pick I could make here. I would be happy in my inaccuracy if Whiplash ended up taking it instead, though.

Best Actor: Michael Keaton (Birdman)

Sadly, and I do mean SADLY... I think Eddie Redmayne will *probably* win this category. But I'm picking Keaton because I want to believe that a guy giving a great nuanced performance of an original character in a fantastic movie will beat out a guy giving a great imitation of a disabled real guy in an Oscar bait mediocre movie.

Best Actress: Julianne Moore (Still Alice)

Seems like the safest pick of the night.

Best Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons (Whiplash)

Seems like the second safest pick of the night.

Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette (Boyhood)

Seems like the third safest pick of the night.

Best Editing: Boyhood

Whoever edited this took twelve years of footage and turned it into a (reasonably) fluid story.

Best Cinematography: Birdman

Birdman is basically an awesome cinematography showcase.

Best Production Design: The Grand Budapest Hotel

Wes Anderson movies have always been amazing displays of production design, and frankly, I'm surprised it took this long for one of his movies to get nominated for this. The guy basically makes giant, crazy dioramas that he puts actors in. After center framed camera shots and witty dialogue, production design is one of the most important things that make a Wes Anderson movie a Wes Anderson movie.

Best Costume Design: The Grand Budapest Hotel

Same sentiment as above for Wes Anderson's costumes in his movies. I guess they finally got lavish enough for one of his costume decisions to get a nom (and hopefully a win).

Best Makeup & Hair: The Grand Budapest Hotel

I really want Guardians of the Galaxy to win here, but I don't think it will. That movie is full of great practical make up, but I get the feeling like the voters will be hesitant to vote for a big popular movie like that. Plus, Grand Budapest is nominated for Best Picture (unlike the others), so I assume that helps its chances.

Best Foreign Film: Ida (Poland)

This is the only one of the films I've seen in this category, and it's also nominated for Cinematography, so I'll give it an edge, even though Ida wasn't really that amazing to me. I'm just guessing at this point, and this is the only one I know.

Best Documentary: Citizenfour

Haven't seen it, but it seems like people are losing their poop over it. I *want* to see it. But ya know, no theater south of Bolingbrook, IL is going to be playing a documentary on a Saturday night.

Best Animated Feature: How to Train Your Dragon 2

I didn't like it very much (it's OK I guess), but it's winning a lot of other animation awards. I guess the last big battle had some great CG animation. I'd rather have Big Hero 6 win here (or The Lego Movie [sky point]), but I don't think it will happen.

Best Visual Effects: Interstellar

It's kind of up in the air, considering all of these movies had great special effects, so I'll give the MTV Movie Awards category of the Oscars to the one that shoved the fact that it had revolutionary special effects in your face THE MOST.

Best Sound Editing: American Sniper

War movies win these awards a lot. Plus, it had some noticeably good use of silence and bullet sounds.

Best Sound Mixing: Whiplash

I may be stupid for not just picking American Sniper again, but I want to believe a movie *about* making musical sounds should probably win here.

Best Original Score: The Theory of Everything

I don't remember any of the scores for these movies off the top of my head, so yeah. Whatever. Seems like it's what a lot of other people are picking.

Best Original Song: "Glory" from Selma

In an effort to throw a movie that they completely disregarded a complimentary bone.

Best Animated Short: Feast

Going with the crowd pleaser over the almost-just-as-good, beautiful Dam Keeper.

Best Live Action Short: The Phone Call

Based on Jeff's analysis, I'm going to assume that Butter Lamp is too "out there" for the voters, and The Phone Call is perfectly safe enough to get picked.

Best Documentary Short: Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1

This is the only one I've seen in this category, and it was really good, so I'm picking it. DEAL WITH IT.

Best of luck on your picks! Sorry, Foxcatcher!

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: My 2015 Oscar Picks!
on Feb 23, 2015 at 5:16:54 am

Exactly 20 out of 24. And so I’m released from the machine that was about to spork me to death.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]