FORUMS: list search recent posts

Even Michael Bay Hates 3D Conversions!

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Even Michael Bay Hates 3D Conversions!
on Mar 24, 2010 at 2:11:07 pm

On converting Transformers to 3D after-the-fact:

“I shoot complicated stuff, I put real elements into action scenes and honestly, I am not sold right now on the conversion process. … I am trying to be sold, and some companies are still working on the shots I gave them. Right now, it looks like fake 3D, with layers that are very apparent. You go to the screening room, you are hoping to be thrilled, and you’re thinking, huh, this kind of sucks. People can say whatever they want about my movies, but they are technically precise, and if this isn’t going to be excellent, I don’t want to do it. And it is my choice. … I’m used to having the A-team working on my films, and I’m going to hand it over to the D-team, have it shipped to India and hope for the best? This conversion process is always going to be inferior to shooting in real 3D. Studios might be willing to sacrifice the look and use the gimmick to make $3 more a ticket, but I’m not. Avatar took four years. You can’t just s*** out a 3D movie. I’m saying, the jury is still out.”

Full article here (with additional quotes from James Cameron):
http://www.deadline.com/2010/03/michael-bay-james-cameron-skeptical-of-3d-c...

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Even Michael Bay Hates 3D Conversions!
on Mar 24, 2010 at 2:17:03 pm

[Scott Roberts] "Avatar took four years. You can’t just s*** out a 3D movie."

Don't tell the studios that. Because this is exactly what we are going to see - the rare 3D movie that takes 4 years (possibly never again) and then the throwaway movies that the 2nd sentence refers to.

I happen to like Michael bay movies - they are fun mindless roller coaster rides. You know Transformers is never going to be nominated for a best picture Oscar and so does Michael Bay.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 24, 2010 at 2:33:01 pm

Don't worry, I'm sure Transformers 3 will be shot in 3D and will not have to endure this process.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:42:00 pm

I think this is exactly what Hollywood will do, actually; make a lot more weak and fast and sloppy 3-d versus painstakingly crafted 4-year productions like Avatar.

Because it is show BUSINESS, bubby. They need turnover, they need traffic, they need more product delivered faster. And they don;t want to wait 4 years to see an investment realize a profit. 4 years is two lifetimes in modern Hollywood. They are going to charge Avatar prices as long as they can, even for something of lesser quality. And they are going to crank. it. out.

And you know what? Michael Bay is going to be right there cranking with them. or he's going to sit it out. It isn't really his choice, unless he wants to self-fund his work.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Mar 24, 2010 at 8:57:06 pm

[Mike Cohen] "You know Transformers is never going to be nominated for a best picture Oscar and so does Michael Bay. "

Maybe not best picture, but the first Transformers movie Bay did earned three oscar nominations.

Best Achievement in Sound - Kevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell, Peter J. Devlin
Best Achievement in Sound Editing - Mike Hopkins, Ethan Van der Ryn
Best Achievement in Visual Effects - Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Russell Earl, John Frazier

and the squeal

Best Achievement in Sound Mixing - Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers and Geoffery Patterson

And let's not forget that "The Blind Side" earned a best picture nod, so if the academy stays with 10 nominees, I wouldn't count a Michael Bay(splosion) film out of the running.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]