FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better Call Saul

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylee Peña
Better Call Saul
on Feb 11, 2015 at 2:38:37 am

Dang you guys. When I first heard about this show I was like "ugh no, let the perfection of Breaking Bad rest in peace." I wasn't really looking forward to the show, but I figured I would watch it. Dang. This has started off so good. I feel like it has snuck up on me and now I'm all emotionally dependent on its goodness almost like I was with BB.

Wait, that makes me sound crazy. No, wait yeah I don't care because I do get 89% of my emotional health directly from media.

The characters are so fantastic. Saul stands alone and carries an entire show so easily. Vince Gilligan directs the hell out of it in a way that echoes BB which echoes X-Files.

Which is really what pierces me deep in my cold dead heart. I grew up knowing Vince's writing and directing (and Skip MacDonald's editing) as "the best X-Files episodes, you know, the darkly hilarious ones" and this is just another version of that which is also entirely fresh and new. So I should have seen this coming: of COURSE you will love the BB spin off, you idiot.

Anyway, super great. Hope it stays strong. That opening sequence was especially fantastic.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Better Call Saul
on Feb 11, 2015 at 3:48:27 pm

I was warned not to watch the episodes out of order, as it would be particularly spoilery.

It's all good, man.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 11, 2015 at 7:16:41 pm

I liked Better Call Saul a lot. I think there's tons of potential there, and I loved the tie ins to BB. I see a Bob Odenkirk Emmy nomination in the future...! And I thought the scene in the desert was about as tense as Breaking Bad's basic tenseness was. Not quite *peak* tenseness, but it was definitely edge of your seat kinda stuff.

Overall, it's kind of like taking every generic lawyer show on network TV, and running it through a Vince Gilligan filter (that's a great thing). I wonder how many seasons they are going to take this before it ties back in with Saul's first appearance on Breaking Bad?

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Feb 11, 2015 at 7:37:16 pm

I have not watched this yet, but I think it would be awesome if they subtly include background characters from Breaking Bad. Like Saul is at the grocery store, and there's Skyler in the background ordering some cold cuts at the deli counter. Fans would lose their...eh...minds.

Looking forward to binge watching this show in a few weeks.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Feb 12, 2015 at 6:25:37 pm

Ditto on Kylee. My thoughts and feelings exactly. Then when I read that Gilligan and Gould would be running it I started to think it couldn't be that mediocre. Then the show itself started to air and WOW! It's almost as captivating as BB was. I'm now thinking that it's likely to be consistently this good since AMC, who likely screened the entire season, renewed it for a second season before even the first episode aired.

Thank you Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould! You're filling the void.

As Stephen Colbert once said: "A new study has shown that over 80% of its users do not become addicted to meth. The same can't be said for viewers of Breaking Bad."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]