FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Dawn

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Red Dawn
on Mar 23, 2010 at 8:59:40 pm

Red Dawn re-make, is this for reals? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234719/ I guess I should not be surprised.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Red Dawn
on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:33:24 pm

I've read about this, I do believe it is in fact real.

Go Wolverines!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:54:57 pm

It will be interesting to see how they do it. If it is to be called Red Dawn, does it take place during the Cold War, or the present day with another "red" nation invading the US? I can think of the obvious foe - it will be interesting to see how well the villains are depicted or if they are going to be a typical cliche wooden movie villain.

It is ironic, that the high school kids turned soldiers in the original were, in fact, insurgents. Insurgent in today's political climate is a word for the enemy, but that perception depends upon which side of the invasion you are on.

I wonder if the writers tried to make this some sort of morality tale about America's excesses; a political statement about invading sovereign nations; or simply a shoot em up action movie. hopefully it is a smart combination of these three concepts.

The primary writer formerly penned Disturbia, Red Eye and a variety of Xena, Buffy and other hokey syndicated television, so chances are we will walk out of the theater commenting on how fondly we remember the original's gritty realism.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 23, 2010 at 10:29:15 pm

[Mike] It will be interesting to see how they do it. If it is to be called Red Dawn, does it take place during the Cold War, or the present day with another "red" nation invading the US?

If the Synopsis on IMDB is to be trusted, one of the characters returns from serving in Afghanistan. But the invading army is called the "People's Liberation Army." I'm not sure if the writer is going with a made up group like Cobra Commander's army or something real like China's "People's Liberation Army." It has been a long time since I've seen Red Dawn, but I remember liking it and watching it a few times.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 23, 2010 at 10:59:39 pm

I'm just going to guess this won't be as good as the original, based on four things:

1. The times we live in now. I found the original Red Dawn hard to believe to begin with (but i still enjoyed it quite a bit), but with today's military technology/intelligence, I find it hard to believe that some foreign invader will be able to secretly attack the midwest, let alone secretly attack the midwest with parachutes!

2. It won't be as fun without the Russians (and Cubans). Plus I don't think you can call it Red Dawn without them either. Putting Iraqi invaders will touch too many soft spots with most Americans today, there's no way they could pull that off in any kind of reasonable manner. I guess I'm saying they probably won't humanize the Middle Eastern folk very well. And if the People's Liberation Army is some sort of rogue American group, well, that's just a different movie entirely.

3. You can't make movies with this insane of a premise anymore. Back in the 80s (and 70s) movies would constantly come out with outrageous plots and wacky action, and still be taken seriously somehow. Nowadays everything that gets updated ALWAYS gets updated with an unnecessary amount of seriousness and realism (I suppose?) that completely takes away from the movie. Updating war/political movies to accommodate a new time period 99% of the time never works. I can't image Red Dawn 2010 will be one to crack the 1% of success. I'm expecting a humorless action movie.

4. Not to take anything away from the military, I love what they do for us, but I can imagine this Red Dawn remake being a very "Support the US army because they are the greatest army on Earth" kind of movie. What I liked about the original was that it was almost a Lord of the Flies situation, with a bunch of kids (who were my age when I first saw the movie). Maybe the new movie will do that and that'd be great, but I doubt it. Especially after the success of The Hurt Locker, I can imagine Hollywood will want to attempt to cash in on some sort of military knock off movie.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:35:04 pm

The original worked on several levels, in that it fed the red-meat jingoistic gung-ho feelings of Reagan-Era Americans at the time, but for more thoughtful audiences it was also a mirror of how our own geopolitics would be seen by the people on the other side of the battle lines. Make that movie today, and the "good guys" would be Afghans and Iraquis, and we'd be the heels.

I don't think you could contemporize the story to today, with the same plot elements, and have it work, unless the RED part was represented by a coup breakign out within our own government. That's more likely to be a topic these days as a theme that tea party supporters would resonate with, and my guess is this reboot is someone's idea to try and capitalize on that demographic.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]