FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Imitation Game

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylee Peña
The Imitation Game
on Jan 20, 2015 at 3:57:58 am

Scott, in another thread you asked "Maybe I can just read a Wikipedia article about Alan Turing and call it a day?" Yes, pretty much.

I mean, it was enjoyable, I'm glad I watched it. And the reason it was so enjoyable was like 80% Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley. Their interactions were great, performances were even better. Some of the random supporting cast of math nerds were also really great.

But man, this was a totally by-the-books Oscar bait script. Beyond the exceptional performances, everything was mostly just satisfactory. When I see a film, I want to be inspired to make something similar...or so intimidated by the majesty, believe I will never make anything that great. Imitation Game makes Oscar nominations seem possible to me, and that ain't right.

I don't mean to talk quite so much crap about a fine movie that checks all the boxes. It's just that the story wasn't elevated to a point that it seemed like it really required a feature film. Alan Turing's story is so captivating. It's weaved with his tragic past (which I assume is partially constructed for the film, but I dunno) and his tragic end. They really tried to make Turing have a clear story arc: childhood, prime of life, suicide. Now that's a frigging arc, right?

Except not at all. It just felt flat. And I think it's because the book ends of the arc were very focused on Turing being gay and dealing with that, and the middle part really had nothing to do with that at all because it really didn't matter all that much. It did provide for some really great dialogue about love and relationships between Turing and his fiancee though.

Basically the movie was fine. Technically, it was good. Didn't feel long and it was interesting enough. Eh? That's my review: eh.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: The Imitation Game
on Jan 20, 2015 at 3:09:56 pm

Kylee - you may give Scott a run for his money with this review.

Scott, can you beat "Eh"? That gives you between one and one and a half letters to work with, perhaps a letter and a punctuation mark.

Looking forward to all Oscar bait movies on RedBox soon.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 20, 2015 at 3:40:08 pm

[Kylee]

Scott, in another thread you asked "Maybe I can just read a Wikipedia article about Alan Turing and call it a day?" Yes, pretty much.

Actually, from what I have read it seems a lot of the movie was made up. So reading Wikipedia instead of watching the film would be different experiences. Insert Wikipedia joke here.

I really enjoyed the film. My big problem with the film is that it feel apart at the end. SPOILER ALERT AHEAD!!!!!!

The movie is about Alan Turing trying to crack the enigma code. They do that and WW2 ends and then the movie keeps going for another 20 minutes. Imagine watching the Avengers and they save New York. Then you cut to Iron Man 30 years later and they show how sad he is and dwell on it. Once again, that doesn't have anything to do with the Avenger story and that is why it doesn't happen in the movie. As I have mentioned before, I hate films that end on a downer and this film definitely does. The tragic end of Alan Turings life could have just been in the text at the end of the film like most "based on a true" story films do......oh wait it was. No need for the last 20 minutes of the film.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 20, 2015 at 3:54:48 pm

[Stephen Smith] " Imagine watching the Avengers and they save New York. Then you cut to Iron Man 30 years later and they show how sad he is and dwell on it."

That was called Iron Man 3. There are numerous conversations about how falling through the wormhole in Avengers has affected Tony Stark emotionally, and he is in a depressive episode for much of the movie.

Now the question is, did Stark see Turing in the wormhole?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 20, 2015 at 4:02:52 pm

[Mike]
That was called Iron Man 3.

Last time I checked Iron Man 3 and the Avengers are separate movies. Which just strengthens my comment. The Imitation Game was one movie that felt like two movies in one, except the 2nd movie was incomplete and had nothing to do with cracking the uncrackable code.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 20, 2015 at 4:05:26 pm

They took some liberties with the facts in the story in making this film, to make it more movie-like. Movies like things tidy, so they tend to collapse actions and characters and combine them so you have fewer threads to follow. But that tends to then overlook who actually did what. Turing didn't build the machine, only draw up specs for it, based on earlier machines designed by the Polish Crypto office and shared with the brits. The code was "broken" by Polish mathematicians already before Turing started on it. Where Turing shines is in taking off from that starting point and imagining a multipurpose computer.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 20, 2015 at 4:31:05 pm

Taking liberties doesn't bother me. That is why they say it is based on a true story. Or in the case of the movie Unstoppable. They advertised it as "inspired by a true event". As for the Imitation Game, the main character is black mailed by a Russian spy. That never happened, they never even meet. However, I think it was a great addition to the story and added tension.

In Catch Me If You Can, the whole father figure story line where Franks (Leonardo Dicaprio) father slowly fades out of his life because he keeps disappointing him and Tom Hanks slowly becomes his new father figure never happened in real life. That is the glue that made the story work. That is why that film took forever to make. The people tasked with writing the screen play couldn't make it "movie-like". Until, Jeff Nathanson wrote the version we all loved.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 20, 2015 at 5:35:06 pm

I think it's safe to say that I can probably go my entire life without actively seeking out this movie. I mean, I'll maybe watch it on HBO or something two years from now, but to be honest, I'd probably rather just play video games or something instead if I have the option. My 2014 Oscar bait viewing sacrifice was The Theory of Everything, and I'm not sure I need another one. Seems like too many negative comments for a movie that's "just alright". PROVE ME YOUR WORTH IN A DIFFERENT PROJECT, CUCUMBERBATCH.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 21, 2015 at 1:07:13 am

I agree the end of the film felt like an unnecessary epilogue. The war being won was rather anti-climatic...which is often a thing I dig, melancholy in the face of joy, the juxtaposition of that as a storytelling thing. (See also: the last scene in the episode of Battlestar Galactica where they rescue everyone from New Caprica and Starbuck/Tigh are super sad while everyone is celebrating. YASSSS.)

It was a story that felt like it was built to build up Turing as some mythological character that was torn apart by the burden of homosexuality. But the being gay bit just wasn't a big enough deal to carry all the underlying character stuff. It's so much more tragic than the movie made me feel like it was, mostly because I saw the ways the movie was manipulating me. A Wikipedia entry is a better story for Turing.

I dunno, it was just like, whatever. And I LOVE computers! And WW2! And Bumpercar Rainbowdash! This should have been a home run! COME ON.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]