FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selma

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Selma
on Jan 15, 2015 at 5:22:21 pm

Premise: Taking place in 1965 after president LBJ (Tom Wilkinson) supposedly "ended" segregation, Martin Luther King (David Oyelowo, fresh off his Oscar snub) plans a protest march to get equal voting rights for African-Americans, starting in super racist junkpile of a city Selma, Alabama. It's a very emotionally charged, important film about a rough time in this country's history. It also solidifies my mindset that, much like Arkansas, just never go to Alabama. For every charming Forest Gump that lives there, there's also 100 guys with confederate flag stickers on their pickup truck window. And I mean in 2015, mind you. Hey, you dumb hicks, you lost the war 150 years ago. GET OVER IT.

Pros:

-I appreciate a biopic/period piece movie that is focused more on an event or short time period rather than the protagonist's entire life. If we were watching young MLK growing up in poverty-stricken Atlanta, learning life lessons from his proud mother, I would have rolled my eyes. Selma is sharp and focused, and highlights a very important situation in MLK's life, not just generically covering his entire life. You can get so many more details and rich elements to the story when you do it this way.

-It also didn't really feel like a biopic, it felt more like it was trying to make a statement. In other words, it technically kind of was Oscar bait, but it totally wasn't Oscar bait. And judging by the Oscar nominations that came out this morning, the Oscar voters noticed that, and barely nominated it for anything. But Theory of Everything, the standard biopic about a witty disabled person which didn't offer anything other than an informative timeline of a guy's life, got like seven nominations. (coughs into hand) Whatever.

-Good performances all around from Oyelowo, Wilkinson, Tim Roth, all the supporting dudes, etc. It's a well made movie with good acting.

-Definitely got misty eyed at a few parts. The disregard for compassionate human life should make you feel something, you know. It's very much a movie where you leave with an "ignorant people suck" thought in your head.

-I also liked how it highlighted the positive aspects of what MLK was doing, but didn't focus so much on some sort of classic hero vs. villain storyline. The evil sheriff and the evil governor got their establishing scenes, and then the film more focused on explaining MLK's thought process rather than point out cartoonish villainy.

Cons:

-I don't know, the pacing is a little off at times?

-She didn't really bring the movie down, because she's only in it for about 5 minutes, but seeing Oprah is always distracting for me. I don't like Oprah. AND TO BE FAIR, one of her two scenes involved her yelling up to the sky with her arms wide open IN SLOW MOTION. That's a very Oprah scene.

-I liked all the FBI logging documentation that kept popping up throughout the movie, because it kind of created a sense of paranoid dread over it all, but then it ended up not really being used for anything. I think it was just random flavor? I would have rather seen it put to better use.

Final Thoughts: It's kind of an important movie about an important thing, you guys. Definitely worth seeing.

8.5 out of 10

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Selma
on Jan 15, 2015 at 5:50:04 pm

There was an interesting radio story about this film. I didn't realize that Martin Luther King copyrighted his speeches. The film makers chose to alter his speeches a little so they didn't have to pay a ton of money to use his speeches.

[Scott]
I appreciate a biopic/period piece movie that is focused more on an event or short time period rather than the protagonist's entire life.

You better stay away from The Imitation Game then.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 15, 2015 at 6:02:37 pm

[Stephen Smith] "The film makers chose to alter his speeches a little so they didn't have to pay a ton of money to use his speeches. "

I didn't know that, that's an interesting fun fact! They used a lot of his "less famous" (if that's the right phrase) speeches in the movie, so I didn't really notice. Not that I have all his speeches memorized to begin with!

[Stephen Smith] "You better stay away from The Imitation Game then."

Planning on it!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 15, 2015 at 6:13:03 pm
Last Edited By Stephen Smith on Jan 15, 2015 at 6:15:23 pm

The NPR story focused specifically on the Martin Luther King estate and owning his speeches I heard didn't show up in my 3 second Google search, but doing a quick Google search brought me to this interview with the Director of the film explaining why she had to alter the speeches slightly.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/selma-director-ava-duvernay-writing-new...

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]