FORUMS: list search recent posts

Oscar Noms - Anybody Surprised?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
Oscar Noms - Anybody Surprised?
on Jan 15, 2015 at 2:50:51 pm

I always love seeing a good surprise, like Jonah Hill for Wolf last year. Not much surprising today. Here is a list if you haven't seen it yet.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2015/01/15/oscars-2015-nominations/

I was surprised not to see LEGO movie in the animation department. I have heard arguments for Jake Gyllenhaal and David Oyelowo to be in the Best Actor category (for Nightcrawler and Selma respectively), but those two are still on my list. Interstellar fell below what I had expected around the time it came out but it has cooled so much since then that I did not have high expectations. It did make the sound mix list, which I wondered over the controversy.

Looking forward to seeing the shorts and pooling our info again this year!

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
Re: Oscar Noms - Anybody Surprised?
on Jan 15, 2015 at 3:34:16 pm

OK, I guess there were a few more. Looking at it again, not much love for Gone Girl! That is a bit surprising. Jennifer Aniston was left out. Also, Best Picture noms are only eight now, I thought that felt a little short. Obviously they weren't going to give Gone Girl a ticket, but Foxcatcher or Nightcrawler could have slipped into that last spot.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 15, 2015 at 5:49:09 pm
Last Edited By Scott Roberts on Jan 15, 2015 at 5:50:30 pm

Here's my thoughts...

-It's always the little things, the one-off nominations that bother me so much about the Oscars every year (but don't get me wrong, I love Oscar season). Let me explain... Seeing things like Nightcrawler getting one nomination, Gone Girl getting one nomination, The LEGO Movie get a nomination in the wrong category, Inherent Vice showing up in some random technical category, Interstelllar not getting any major noms... It makes me realize that the Academy HAS seen these movies, and just CHOSE not to nominate them for the good stuff. And most of all, it angered me seeing Selma getting (pretty much) only a Best Picture nomination, which felt like a giant "F YOU" to the film, kind of like throwing them an obligatory bone for being a movie people liked about an important thing. It almost would have been better had they just not nominated it for anything, do you see what I'm saying? Then we could have thought "Oh, maybe they didn't see it?" But no, they saw it. They just snubbed it (and several others) royally.

-Continuing that thought into another, do you think the Academy dissed Selma because they were trying to be less like the typical Academy that we know likes to nominate biopic Oscar bait? If that WAS the case, then they failed by nominating The Imitation Game and The Theory of Everything, two of the biggest Oscar Bait examples of the year for a TON of awards. I never saw Imitation Game, so I can't speak much against it (to be fair to it), but The Theory of Everything might be my bitter "I don't want it to win anything" films of this year. It's not that it was a bad movie, but it was just such a STANDARD film in almost every way. It's one of those movies that felt like it was created for the sole purpose of winning awards. Like it just played into the awards system's game, and that's all it did. Selma was about a message, Theory of Everything was about a dude.

-Tim, if you wouldn't mind elaborating on why Eddie Redmayne was your favorite pick of the Golden Globes, I'd love to hear it. He was probably my least favorite. But before you do so, if you have time, read Vince Mancini's thinkpiece about why Eddie Redmayne getting nominated is just a terrible thing (written before the nominations were announced):

http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/2015/01/dear-academy-please-do-not-give-eddie-r...

On to lighter fare!

-I said long ago after I saw it for the first time, if there's one thing the Academy Awards can't deny Guardians of the Galaxy, it's a Best Make Up nomination! Which it got!

-The Boxtrolls was... not good. Nobody thought it was good. LEGO Movie snub.

-Adding to the list of people we would have never thought would get an Oscar nomination 5 years ago: Steve Carell and Emma Stone. Maybe one day we'll see Jim Carrey on that list? I DON'T KNOW.

-Laura Dern is in Wild for less than 10 minutes, and didn't really do anything that impactful. Kind of a weird pick for Supporting Actress.

-I liked all the love for Whiplash.

-Hey, I've actually seen one of the Documentary Shorts! The Crisis Hotline one. It was pretty great. Still haven't seen any of the feature length docs. I really dropped the ball on docs this year...

-I need to see Leviathan. Heard nothing but good things. Same with that Princess Kaguya movie.

-Is this the first time Wes Anderson has gotten a directing nomination? Good for him.

-Hahaha the Visual Effects nominations: Captain America, Planet of the Apes, Guardians of the Galaxy, Interstellar, and X-Men. That's totally the MTV Movie Awards category of the Oscars.

-So is The Lonely Island officially nominated for "Everything is Awesome", or what?

-Birdman better win a bunch of stuff.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 16, 2015 at 9:28:53 pm

The Director of the Lego movie tweeted this about the Oscar snub: It's okay. Made my own! With the image below attached:

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]