FORUMS: list search recent posts

Golden Globe Reactions?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
Golden Globe Reactions?
on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:15:52 pm

Honestly I have not watched much of the Globes in the past. I sat through last night's event and all I could think of was, "Is it always this bad?" Here are some thoughts:

- That was the worst produced opening monologue I have ever seen. I wouldn't be surprised if they fired the technical director during the first commercial break.

- The opening monologue ended by repeating horrible Bill Cosby jokes that clearly nobody thought was funny. What a way to drain all of the energy out of the room for your big finale!

- Very political, not that entertaining.

- Glad to see some surprises! How Birdman won Director and Actor but lost best comedy is beyond me but since Grand Budapest Hotel won, I'm not going to complain! (Note: I have yet to see Birdman)

- Jeremy Renner had the best line of the night with Jennifer Lopez.

- Anna Farris and Chris had a very unfunny fake argument, but Chris saved it at the end, "We are taking separate helicopters home."

- Lilly Tomlin and Jane Fonda were funny.

- Amazon Prime took home awardS, plural. Plus Netflix got one, so chalk up three for streaming media. HBO only received one award, which made it tied with the CW. Ouch!

All in all, I'm starting to think the Globes are just TV's way of saying, "Hey! The Oscars are coming!!!"

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
Re: Golden Globe Reactions?
on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:36:08 pm

I thought it was a lot of fun. Some of the directing was awful (like the in-your-face swear-o-cam side view, wtf) but somehow it's always awful, so whatever. I wanted to see Tina and Amy WAY more than we did, and I was kinda bummed that most of their appearances later in the show were with the racist korean woman schtick. Shoulda let that joke die after her high point of commentating on Orange is the New Black.

I kind of appreciated their Cosby joke, because they clearly knew it was uncomfortable territory so they drew it way out. It wasn't really a rape joke so much as a Cosby-is-a-horrible-rapist joke, so...well, he brought it on himself.

Super cool to see Amazon and Netflix stealing awards away, especially Transparent. Who woulda thought a show about a transgender person that isn't on regular TV would dominate an awards show? I'll be interested to see how the show does at the Emmys.

Jeremy Renner's "Golden Globes" line was the biggest eye roll of the night. How original, a boob joke. Scanning Twitter when J.Lo walked on stage, only about 95% of the world came up with the same line.

I noticed a lot of shows I don't watch won awards, so now I'm concerned for myself. Like The Affair and Jane the Virgin? These aren't even on my radar, and you all saw in my previous post that I watch WAY TOO MUCH TV. So what the heck, man?

I don't have a whole lot to say about the movies side of things. Birdman was great, I was surprised Grand Budapest Hotel won, and I really need to see Whiplash and Boyhood. I wonder if Boyhood is going to dominate the Oscars?

It seemed like a lot of the speeches had a social message to them, which didn't play so well on the Twitters...but I liked it. I'd rather get a good sound bite from someone accepting a Golden Globe than a tearful jumble of names of agents I don't know.

Probably the best joke of the night was from Tina Fey, though: “George Clooney married Amal Almuddin this year. Amal is a human rights lawyer who worked on the Enron case; was an adviser to Kofi Anna regarding Syria; and was selected for a three-person U.N. commission investigating rules of war violations in the Gaza Strip. So tonight, her husband is getting a lifetime achievement award.” I also enjoyed her line about Steve Carell's make-up taking two hours, and hers taking three that night as she prepared for the "role of human woman."

Maybe the best thing to come out of the evening: me discovering that Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda are going to be in a Netflix show with Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston! YAY.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:42:05 pm

The Best Animated Feature is How to Train Your Dragon? That is why I don't watch the Golden Globes.

[Jeff]
- Jeremy Renner had the best line of the night with Jennifer Lopez.

What was it?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jan 12, 2015 at 4:15:46 pm

Stephen,
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00078929.html

Like Kylee said, it was a dumb boob joke but it was so appropriate. She always comes out with these dresses like she is desperate for attention and she would clearly have people look at her than think about the award, so I thought it was funny that she was called out on stage while giving an award, but still in good fun and kept things moving.

[Stephen Smith] " The Best Animated Feature is How to Train Your Dragon? That is why I don't watch the Golden Globes."

Haha! Yea, I thought that was funny! I haven't seen the movie, but I have never heard of it considered as an award show favorite. I have my money on Big Hero 6, or at least the Lego movie. I don't see Dragon 2 winning at the Oscars, but maybe I should look now.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 12, 2015 at 4:58:00 pm

"Always desperate for attention"? Or maybe she's just proud of her body and enjoys dressing in a way that makes her feel good? Even if her dress choices are primarily a marketing ploy to get magazine covers, it doesn't make a low brow boob joke any less gross.

Plus, she's 45 years old! Holy crap, if I look that great at 45 you'll have to beg me to put clothes on.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 12, 2015 at 6:50:12 pm

I didn't even hear Jeremy Renner's joke. I was getting kind of unenthused with the show and it sort of turned into a background viewing for me this time around. It probably didn't help that I hadn't even heard of a lot of the winners. I'm sure Transparent is alright, but what the hell is it? And Jane the Virgin? I gave it the benefit of the doubt until I noticed it was on The CW. There's no way it's actually good, is there? That win made me feel old, and I'm only 30.

The best part of the Renner/Lopez presenting team extravaganza for me wasn't her boobs (didn't she wear that same dress like 10 years ago?) or Renner's tiny figure and weird face (admit it, it's true), but it was when Billy Bob Thornton won the award and walked on stage, and he gave a huge, grasping hug to Jeremy Renner and then completely brushed off and ignored J-Lo. I notice weird things like that, and I EAT IT UP. It's why I watch the SNL credits intensely every week to see who hugs who and who looks uncomfortable around who on the stage after the show. The credits of SNL are usually one of the best parts (for me)! I get legit angry when my DVR or NBC cuts it short.

Anyway, other random reactions in the form of bullet points as I remember them because I didn't take notes as I was watching like I normally do:

-Liked the North Korean woman joke THE FIRST TIME, but it got stale near the end.

-The Cosby jokes were very on the nose, but I think that was the point of that particular joke. I've heard funnier Cosby scandal jokes, and I've heard much worse Cosby scandal jokes.

-I think Boyhood will probably win the Best Picture Oscar, maybe? Which is a shame, because there's much better films out there, and Boyhood barely has a workable story. "LIFE, AMIRITE?" But I do think Linklater should get a Best Director Oscar for his accomplishment. THAT'S WHAT THAT AWARD IS FOR.

-If Eddie Redmayne ends up beating Keaton for the Oscar that would be the biggest shame. Yes, it took skill to do what Redmayne did, but it takes much MORE skill to create an original character and make it a believable person, than it is to do an imitation of a real life figure who you got to meet and study for months.

-I'm sure the only recognition Whiplash will receive all awards season is for J.K. Simmons' acting (which he deserves). But the movie is awesome and should get more credit than merely that one performance.

-I like George Clooney a lot, but it was kind of silly to recognize the handsome, charming, millionaire with a five minute montage about how great he is. I did like the joke about his wife, though.

-Grand Budapest Hotel winning Best Picture Comedy was a surprise, considering (as Jeff said) Birdman won everything else over it leading up to the big award. I like both movies, but Birdman is way better, in my opinion. I'd throw Budapest somewhere in the middle of my Wes Anderson Rankings of Whimsical Preference.

-How to Train Your Dragon 2? I'm with Stephen. What?! It was such a plainly average sequel. Lego Movie and Big Hero 6 were both 100x more creative.

-The Fargo show is good and everyone should watch it. Probably liked True Detective better, though.

-I didn't like Ricky Gervais' giggling "I'm so controversial, remember?!" bit that felt like a forced pat on his own back for being such an "edgy" guy. I think he's riding that schtick a little too long, is what I'm saying.

-Kind of tacky how near the end of the show everyone started publicly announcing into the microphones how they are running long on time and everyone should hurry up, making it so they played the "get off the stage music" for Michael Keaton, who had one of the best speeches of the night. NEVER TRY AND PLAY OFF KEATON, YOU JERKBAG GOLDEN GLOBES DIRECTOR. HE WAS ALMOST DONE ANYWAY.

I think that's it for me? Overall, not that memorable of an awards broadcast.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 12, 2015 at 8:34:54 pm
Last Edited By Tim Wilson on Jan 12, 2015 at 8:51:55 pm

For the record, the Korean woman was comedian and provacateur Margaret Cho, of whom I'm a huge fan. I saw her do stand-up when that's what she did for a living. The film correspondent is a variation on how she played her mother in her stage routines -- same scowl, same voice, same weird pop culture sensibility that carried an implied negative attitude toward pop culture.

So if she's making fun of her mother using that voice in a comedy club, is that racist? Maybe so. There's certainly always a fine line between mocking something and BEING that thing. But what was she mocking? Being Korean, or a specific kind of Korean having a specific attitude? If there's even an element in the latter, it raises the question, to what extent is ANY criticism of North Korea racist? That's a harder question than it sounds, I think.

In any case, she's a Korean woman whose stock in trade has always been making people squirm in order to provoke real debate, in areas very explicitly including race. Mission accomplished...but I think she understands as well as anyone that quivering outrage over playing a character that's a variation of one that she's been playing for 20 years or more isn't really about moving forward the cause of racial equality in the real world. Not as much as it is about proving someone's own moral superiority without considering the questions her performance raises.

Not that I didn't feel it was kind of racist....but was Fred Sanford? George Jefferson? Is Chico or Cheech? Is any comic portrayal of someone non-white necessarily racist? THAT's the question, and, again, not one I find easy to answer. My first is no, of course not. So why was Margaret's? Which is why, in the end, I chalked it up to Margaret being Margaret, enjoyed the parts I enjoyed, and didn't the ones I didn't.

Stephen, respectfully, if you decide whether or not to like an awards show based on their ability to make consistently good choices, I can save you the time: never watch any awards show, ever. LOL Dude, they ALL make more bad choices than good ones. ALL of them. Every year.

And overall, I think they made an usually high number of the right ones, including

• Eddie Redmayne (maybe my favorite winner of the night)
  • Michael Keaton
  • JK Simmons
  • Julianne Moore
  • Transparent + Jeffrey Tambor
  • Kevin Spacey
  • Amy Adams
  • Gina Rodriguez (I keep telling y'all, the CW is the most consistently entertaining network on TV. The show is meh, but she's a revelation)
  • Leviathan (which I'll note received the Palm Springs International Film Festival Jury Prize the night before; a big deal for a film festival whose primary focus is international films, 64 countries this year iirc)

The thing they REALLY REALLY get right can't be emphasized enough is separate categories for comedy and drama. Among my favorite two speeches of the night were Eddie (adorable thing about the honeymoon) and Keaton (EXCEPTIONALLY stuff on his family) -- it's a ridiculous world where a comic performance and dramatic performance don't both deserve recognition.

I'm also going to throw in a nod to the both movies and tv thing. I don't know that I've ever met anybody who just watches one or the other. There's a lot to be said for awards shows that are more focused, so you can get into things like art direction, but in fact, it's a lot of fun to look at both at the same time. We should do a forum like that at the COW.

THAT's why you keep watching something like the Globes. They get the BASICS more right than anyone, and they don't get the SPECIFICS more wrong than anyone else.

More comments when I'm less delirious. I've been crazy sick lately, and like virtually every man walking the planet, and virtually no women, handling it very, very poorly. LOL

EDIT: Just looked it up: Palm Springs Film Fest was 190 films from 65 countries. It's the second biggest festival in the country -- over 130,000 attendees -- but it tends not to get much attention because of the emphasis on foreign films. I'll get around to talking about THAT in a bit too...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 12, 2015 at 10:47:30 pm

I think the biggest news from the globes is that none of the traditional big three networks won a top prize. Not one. That shows the paradigm shift to new media outlets in a stark way.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 13, 2015 at 12:11:34 am

[Mark Suszko] "I think the biggest news from the globes is that none of the traditional big three networks won a top prize. "

Good observation!

Two more of mine...or Margaret's:

Second, do y'all not remember her playing Kim Jong Il on 30 Rock in 2012? Do you remember anyone making a fuss about racism then? I don't either. Is Kim Jong Il considered fair game, but an entirely fictitious character based on Margaret Cho's impression of her mother somehow racist?

Or is it because, in reality, hipster rep notwithstanding, nobody actually watched 30 Rock? LOL

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 13, 2015 at 6:29:53 am

Here's the thing. Under no circumstances is a woman's outfit, or lack of same, ever asking for ANYTHING. Not asking for lewd comments, touching, nothing.

The woman herself is not asking for anything until she opens her mouth and forms a question with it.

The BEST you could say about Jeremy Renner's comment is that it was entirely inappropriate and should never have come out of a grown man's mouth.

The thing that SHOULD be said is that it was an example of unchecked male privilege, one of the pillars of rape culture, wherein women are inevitably asking for whatever men care to dish out.

Whereas Margaret Cho perpetuated the stereotype that the government of North Korea is militaristic, propagandistic, humorless, oddly embracing of Dennis Rodman, and in general, run by people who aren't very bright.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 13, 2015 at 3:01:59 pm

Well said Tim. In early 2015 in which stories about Bill Cosby, the Rolling Stone rape article and numerous campus and general public sexual assaults coming to light, not to mention the continued inequality of women in the workplace and the continuing objectification of women as sex objects by the very same news media who covers these issues - I agree that when celebrities dress up for public events, they have the right to wear whatever they like.

Someone like J-Lo is known both for her appearance and her musical and acting talent. Whether she is given movie roles due to her acting talent, visual appearance, or a combination, is up to those offering the gigs. But it is generally both, as is the case with any casting decision. Now, does J-Lo, Gaga or the like wear slinky revealing outfits to get publicity? Of course. Are they asking for lewd comments from their counterparts in the industry? Of course not. Will it happen? It shouldn't happen among industry counterparts but if alcohol is flowing and/or the teleprompter isn't working and/or someone like Mr Renner is in a mood, maybe. Was Jeremy Renner a little drunk? Possibly - he always looks a little drunk.

Will this incident become the new wardrobe malfunction, supplanting the Janet Jackson superbowl incident? Probably not, though I suspect some grandmothers from Kansas may be submitting their FCC complaints as we speak.

As for the rest of the show, I am only 15 minutes into it on my DVR and intend at some point to offer an analysis from a live broadcast tv perspective - most awards shows are cut from the same mold - a mold which is in fact kind of moldy, though each brings something new to the table, or at least should.

Later

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 13, 2015 at 3:44:26 pm

[Tim]
Stephen, respectfully, if you decide whether or not to like an awards show based on their ability to make consistently good choices, I can save you the time: never watch any awards show, ever. LOL Dude, they ALL make more bad choices than good ones. ALL of them. Every year.

And that my friend is why I don't watch any of the award shows. You'll notice my absence from almost all Oscars threads. My favorite award is the box office, which appears to be the case for most people. The three films I listed as my 2014 favorites didn't end up on the list for the Golden Globes best picture. But they ranked really high on the 2014 box office chart. I'm not knocking awards like the Golden Globes, I think they help introduce people to great films that they would have never even considered watching without the Oscar or any other big award nomination. I just find most "Oscar bait" films to be boring. As Stephen stops typing Michael Bay high fives him and then they go outside and blow crap up.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 13, 2015 at 3:51:52 pm

[Stephen Smith] "As Stephen stops typing Michael Bay high fives him and then they go outside and blow crap up."

Aside from the MTV Movie Awards, is there an awards show which actually rewards this kind of tent pole style entertainment?

I would love to see A-listers presenting awards to the likes of Michael Bay, Peter Jackson or Chris Nolan for "best beheading" or "best use of the Wilhelm" or "best Foley footsteps", not to mention "award for most use of explosives in a single shot" or the always ignored "highest volume of fake blood in a single shot" which should go to Django Unchained.

Agree these shows take themselves too seriously - nobody is saving lives here (except Clooney's wife perhaps).

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 15, 2015 at 6:24:38 am

[Mike Cohen] "I would love to see A-listers presenting awards to the likes of Michael Bay, Peter Jackson or Chris Nolan for "best beheading" or "best use of the Wilhelm" or "best Foley footsteps", not to mention "award for most use of explosives in a single shot" or the always ignored "highest volume of fake blood in a single shot" which should go to Django Unchained."

I don't know if they are still happening, but the Spike's Guys Choice Awards and Scream Awards shows had an over the top element with awards that are made up in an attempt to get celebs in a room. For example, on the Guys Choice Awards Jimmy Kimmel won an award for "Funniest M.F." and MMA fighter Anderson Silva won for Most Dangerous Man.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]