FORUMS: list search recent posts

Idiris Elba and Your James Bond Wishlist?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylee Peña
Idiris Elba and Your James Bond Wishlist?
on Dec 23, 2014 at 10:27:37 pm

I've mostly avoided all the emails in the Sony hack because it feels super wrong to read that stuff, but by osmosis I've come to learn that the Sony studio head wants Idris Elba to be James Bond. I don't know the specifics -- if it was just kind of a loose musing or something they're pursuing more -- but I am super duper into this. I know Spectre was just announced and Daniel Craig (who has been money in the role) probably has a few more films before he retires as 007, but if Idris Elba were on deck? Dang, son. That's too bad ass to deal with.

I was wondering if The Forum had any opinion on Elba, or any other contemporary James Bond choices because why not speculate.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Idiris Elba and Your James Bond Wishlist?
on Dec 24, 2014 at 3:16:37 pm

He's often mentioned as a potential star in the timelord role for Doctor Who. "Stunt casting" is a popular pastime. Not sure how ultimately productive it is. The last time I got into an argument over it was in regards to casting "Miss Saigon". It was all about how an actor should be able to play *any* role, versus casting against the original, just to be different, even if it doesn't add to or improve anything.

Myself, I'd love to bring back the Our Man Flint/ Man From U.N.C.L.E./Matt Helm franchises, set in their original time periods. Daniel Craig has said that the Austin Powers movies have kind of ruined the more "fun" parts of the Bond franchise by doing too many parodies, so that an audience no longer would appreciate a hollow volcano lair or other outlandish tropes from the Bond franchise, so they've been slow to bring back things like the Aston Martin gadget car and etc. I really dig those tropes, though, they're part of the formula now. I'd love to see Flint/UNCLE/Helm played straight, with some serious art direction and good stunt work. Maybe as a mini-series on high end cabler or neflix? I can't be the only one.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Dec 24, 2014 at 4:56:25 pm

I wonder if Idris Elba will get sick of having to contractually oblige into making five of these movies, though? He's publicly stated how much he dislikes having to go to the Thor set, because he signed a contract to keep starring in the Marvel movies. But that might have been because he was just a side character with a ton of prosthetic makeup on...? Still, I could see him getting antsy after doing 2 or 3 of them and going, "Uhg, I 'ave to make anuva' one of 'em bullocks Bond films, I do. Crikey!" (that was my crappy English accent attempt)

But it would be cool to see him in the role, I like him in general.. As for anyone else, I don't really keep up with any British physical specimens, so I don't think I could name any other dudes for the part.

I agree with Mark, though, you can't just make them as powerfully gritty and serious as the Daniel Craig ones for the next guy. They have to do something different. If that means more gadget heavy, more fun, or whatever, I think they have to do something else. Or just keep the successful formula going, whatever! Money money money!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 24, 2014 at 8:41:17 pm

I think Idris Elba would make a very compelling Bond villain; he's able to chew scenery very well. The problem with Bond movies is that they've gone about as far as you can go already, from the depths of the ocean to earth orbit, inside volcanoes and atop mountains. The only place left is to go smaller, to strip it down and let it get back to a human scale, as it was in the last one. But I'm willing, nay hoping - to be surprised.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 24, 2014 at 9:42:45 pm

So... how about a Bond villain with a "fake" iceberg lair/ HQ, which is really a pikecrete self-propelled 'berg, almost as big as an aircraft carrier,(inspired by a WW2 British project) and his scam is interrupting any commercial shipping traffic trying to ship freight North thru the polar passage that global warming has created? meh... maybe too derivative: we've already seen an ice lair and a submarine lair, though not together as one thing.

Okay, in the books, Bond has already done the "hacker" thing long ago, but I can picture a couple of fun sequences inside one of those huge Google server farms and/or inside an Amazon.com shipping complex that's got a lot of robotics in it. So, maybe the plot is to replace everybody's Amazon prime purchases with explosives or CBW payloads and have them all go off across a nation simultaneously. He can team up with white hats or black-hats or anarchists while chasing down the SPECTRE operative in charge of the operation - holding an economy at ransom is an evergreen Bond topic. For my pitch, the working title will be:
-Deliver us From Evil. aka: What can Bond do for you?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]