FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Interview

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
The Interview
on Dec 18, 2014 at 8:59:06 pm

Sony announced that they aren't going to release The Interview as planned. A matter of fact I don't even see a mention of it on their site. To me it feels strange that they would give in to the demands of the hackers. They must of found some good dirt. What are your thoughts?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: The Interview
on Dec 18, 2014 at 10:04:32 pm

As an avid user of Reddit (the site where geeks go to debate world news, and look at pictures of J-Law (apparently)), I have been following the front page Sony Leak news daily.

It appears N Korea was probably involved in the hack. The bigger news which has Sony and the studio system up in arms in the public revelation that Sony was fudging the profitability of its movies, in order to (possibly) pay lower royalties to those promised royalties. This may have the long term result of lawsuits for breach of contract (I'm not a lawyer).

Tim Wilson - this is where you come in...

The other detrimental parts of the leak are emails in which studio bosses say derogatory things (talking smack) about actors and the President of the United States, to name but a few.

Likewise, in terms of enhancing the menace of the hack, the leaked docs included home addresses and social security numbers of Sony employees.

So Sony is in major damage control mode. Heads will roll at the top for sure. The Interview and the promise on an attack on the premiere are small bananas compared to being accused of defrauding investors.

Just how crazy is Mr Un? No way to know.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 18, 2014 at 11:22:06 pm

The other studios were also all asking Sony to pull it, fearing that if some related terrorist act happened at a theater showing it, that would depress overall movie-going to ALL the studios' movies over the fiscally very important Christmas week. Kinda like what happened to the Batman movie after the Colorado shooting on opening night.

Actually, this is probably going to increase total viewings of the film, if anything, whether people see it from pirated copies or in legit screenings, it now has a cachet of The Forbidden to it. And the best way to make people want to see a movie is to tell them they can't see it. Too bad that kind of drama isn't for a more "meaningful" movie than a silly bro comedy.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Dec 19, 2014 at 5:05:22 pm

I think it's going to open the floodgates for more movies getting pulled in the future. What if a middle eastern terrorist group doesn't like the "glorified" portrayal of the most lethal sniper in US military history, like in Clint Eastwood's movie American Sniper, coming out next week? Can they make a (potentially) empty threat and get that movie pulled too? Or (in an obviously exaggerated gesture to make a probably dumb point) what if a group who doesn't like the US decides to threaten Captain America moviegoers with violence? Is the Avengers: Age of Ultron going to have trouble? Is North Korea going to boycott *all* of Rogen and Franco's movies from this point on, for shaming Great Leader? Or just stop with this one? WHERE DOES IT END?

I obviously wouldn't have wanted anyone to get hurt over *any* movie, let alone a comedy that looks as low-brow as this one did, but I think it's going to be bad news for the future. And no one even knows how empty or serious the threat actually was, because the theater companies and Sony caved almost immediately. But even if they attacked just one theater over it, that would have potentially been an even worse scenario. I don't think anyone wants the last thing they see to be Seth Rogen comedically sticking something up his butt.

So yeah, kind of a messy situation, and in retrospect, this may have been a funnier film to *joke* about making, instead of spending millions of dollars and months of their time and energy actually producing. OH WELL. I'll watch it on demand if it ever gets released.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 19, 2014 at 5:12:11 pm

a recent letter from the Supreme Leader of the Gungans to Lucasfilm demands that The Phantom Menace never be shown again due to its negative portrayal of the Gungan race.

In this case, nobody argued :)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 19, 2014 at 5:19:07 pm

How many movies have we seen where we learn that we don't cave to terrorist demands? From what I understand, the major movie theaters said they wouldn't show it so Sony really didn't have a choice. Maybe they'll wait for the dust to settle and release it in March when typically only bad films come out.

[Scott]
I think it's going to open the floodgates for more movies getting pulled in the future. What if a middle eastern terrorist group doesn't like the "glorified" portrayal of the most lethal sniper in US military history, like in Clint Eastwood's movie American Sniper, coming out next week? Can they make a (potentially) empty threat and get that movie pulled too? Or (in an obviously exaggerated gesture to make a probably dumb point) what if a group who doesn't like the US decides to threaten Captain America moviegoers with violence? Is the Avengers: Age of Ultron going to have trouble? Is North Korea going to boycott *all* of Rogen and Franco's movies from this point on, for shaming Great Leader? Or just stop with this one? WHERE DOES IT END?

On an interesting note, in some ways China already does this. Look no further then Transfomers 4 ( China's government is portrayed as a caring and efficient group + everyone know martial arts ). It is big money if you can get your movie released in China and it they said you had to do something to get your film released there you most likely would do it. Of course that doesn't stop the movie from playing here in the US but to make more money I think you will see the studios doing what ever it takes to have their movies play in China. Just my random 2 cents.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 22, 2014 at 10:34:54 pm

Besides theaters not wanting to play the movie, Sony also said they reached out to streaming/VOD companies and didn't get any bites either. I think the fear isn't really about a physical attack (which is pretty unlikely to happen) but about a cyber attack like the one that hit Sony.

[Stephen Smith] "On an interesting note, in some ways China already does this. Look no further then Transfomers 4 ( China's government is portrayed as a caring and efficient group + everyone know martial arts ). It is big money if you can get your movie released in China and it they said you had to do something to get your film released there you most likely would do it. Of course that doesn't stop the movie from playing here in the US but to make more money I think you will see the studios doing what ever it takes to have their movies play in China. Just my random 2 cents."

I was going to mention something like this too. While The Interview getting shelved is too hard to miss, many companies are trying to do their best to be unoffensive (especially if they are trying to get into a huge market like China).

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 22, 2014 at 11:09:10 pm

[Andrew]

Besides theaters not wanting to play the movie, Sony also said they reached out to streaming/VOD companies and didn't get any bites either.

Which is why I was surprised that the President of the United States bashed on Sony for doing the wrong thing. They don't have a choice.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 19, 2014 at 9:03:52 pm

Sony stock prices went up strongly on the news.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 19, 2014 at 9:11:53 pm

Obama says Sony made a mistake in pulling 'The Interview' from theaters

At a press conference, President Barack Obama says Sony (SNE) made a mistake in pulling the movie "The Interview" from theaters. "We cannot have a society in which some dictator some place can start imposing censorship here in the United States," he said. The Federal Bureau of Investigation earlier on Friday said North Korea was behind the cyberattack on Sony Pictures.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 19, 2014 at 9:40:10 pm

[Mark]

Sony stock prices went up strongly on the news.

Yesterday on December 18th Sony (SNE) shares jumped 4% in early U.S. trading on news that The Interview was shelved. However, it lost steam quickly and by the end of the day Sony lost that 4% gain basically evening out. Today Sony (SNE) dropped -2.70% while the S&P 500 (SPY) went up +.43%. I like what Jim Cramer said a few days ago. You don't want to bring Sony's troubles into your portfolio.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Dec 20, 2014 at 6:54:52 am

[Mike Cohen] "The bigger news which has Sony and the studio system up in arms in the public revelation that Sony was fudging the profitability of its movies, in order to (possibly) pay lower royalties to those promised royalties."

I thought that was standard procedure in Hollywood.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Dec 19, 2014 at 5:37:29 pm

All I have to add to this conversation at the moment is this article that made me laugh a lot just now.

In the midst of canceling The Interview's December 25th release, it looks like Sony forgot to unschedule a YouTube promo video. A new 30-spot just popped up on Sony Pictures Entertainment's YouTube channel with the prescient description, "Only one movie has the whole world talking. In Rogen and Franco we trust." (In the clip itself the names are reversed: "In Franco and Rogen We Trust.") Release date? Christmas Day.

Oops.

Hahahaha. I want to believe.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 21, 2014 at 3:37:59 pm

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 23, 2014 at 7:01:22 pm

Now that The Interview is going to be released, raise your hand if you think the numbers are going to be mediocre. Even with all the armchair Internet activism slamming Sony for 'letting the terrorists win' I bet just a small fraction of those people will actually stream The Interview (let alone make the effort to go to a theater and see it).

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 23, 2014 at 7:08:28 pm

The article I just read said it will be in "likely in fewer than 100 indie theaters." That isn't good for making a lot lot money. I wonder if they are doing a limited release just in case, and once nothing happens they can then get the big theater chains to show it. We'll see.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 23, 2014 at 7:26:15 pm

I would bet this movie will be very popular as an illegal download, and will be on RedBox by February.

A lot of hype and media attention for a movie that is likely no better or worse than the last 10 Seth Rogen stoner comedies which are all basically the same movie.

Oddly Meet the Press had a live shot with Kal Penn as an expert to discuss the issue. I see Meet the Press has not recovered from its shakeup yet. I guess Clooney could not be reached on his yacht in lake Como.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 23, 2014 at 9:47:19 pm

[Stephen Smith] "The article I just read said it will be in "likely in fewer than 100 indie theaters." That isn't good for making a lot lot money. I wonder if they are doing a limited release just in case, and once nothing happens they can then get the big theater chains to show it. We'll see.
"

Even for the limited release I don't think the number of patrons will live up to the amount of Internet-rage started by Sony saying they couldn't show the film due to all the theaters/VOD partners refusing to show it. From all the Internet comments one would think people would be standing in line for hours waiting to see The Interview in the name of Freedom and so that the terrorists don't win, but that's just not going to happen.

The "I'm seeing The Interview to support Sony" bandwagon is going to be significantly smaller than the "Sony Sux!" bandwagon.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Dec 25, 2014 at 2:17:06 am

I watched the movie tonight. I had some Microsoft points to use on whatever the streaming service on the Xbox is, so I was able to buy that and Die Hard (which is currently loading while I type this).

It was amusing and only kind of racist. Mostly just utterly ridiculous. A lot of funny absurd moments, some actual emotion from James Franco being betrayed by Kim, a puppy (which the movie is dedicated to)...it was amusing and enjoyable without being too yay-America. Like, Kim does make some legitimately good points about America sucking pretty bad too. And the other interviewees before the Korea segment are pretty funny if you're into stupid things.

I dunno, I was definitely not going to see this in the theater but it makes me wonder about releasing movies this way. I think this potentially sets a cool precedent for studios releasing movies as VOD a lot more often, but these kind of stupid over the top physical comedy movies play waaay better to an audience of people instead of a distracted home viewer watching alone. So I wonder if the movie will end up being reviewed less favorably by the general public because more people didn't have that experience?

My review: amusing, not as funny as Pineapple Express or even This is The End (both of which get a lot of their best points from the ensemble cast) but worth watching if you like Seth Rogen and James Franco as a comedic team. If not, this ain't your bag.

Unrelated: I watched Anchorman 2 last weekend and it was the worst movie I've seen all year.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 28, 2015 at 5:18:51 am

[Kylee Wall] "Mostly just utterly ridiculous"

That sums up this movie perfectly. It was a decent comedy, very much like every Seth Rogen comedy, with some over the top violence at the end and a nice tribute to Lord of the Rings (believe it or not).

Was it worthy of an international incident? Not really, but it does depict the murder of a well known real life dictator. If someone made a movie about the killing of an American President, I suspect our government would be a little peeved.

If Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were the stars this would have been even better.

It's on Netflix by the way.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]