Is anyone checking out Sonic Highways?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
Is anyone checking out Sonic Highways?
on Dec 10, 2014 at 5:29:11 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Dec 10, 2014 at 5:32:33 pm

It's on HBO.

It's not that I dislike the Foo Fighters, it's just not my style of jam, but I have a lot of respect for the creative process and everything that goes in to it. I also have a lot of respect for talented musicians and song writing, even if the music doesn't strike my fancy.

I happened to check out the first show (selfishly) because it takes place in Chicago, the city I am typing from now.

This show, so far, is really very good. I have been though 3 episodes, and looking forward to watching the rest (8 in total).

From a story telling stand point, I am always fascinated with need of trying to wrap history in with the present. How to go back, but yet remain in the present. Sometimes, we are asked to do this in some of our projects. A person, entity, or brand, has a tremendous history that they are proud of, but yet they don't want to dwell on it. Rather, they would like to acknowledge this history, recognize that this history is, of course, part of their identity, but they also want to maintain relevance in the present. I think this show does a really great job of trying to balance this idea of history being in the present.

The show follows the Foo Fighters to Chicago , D.C., Nashville, Austin, L.A. New Orleans, Seattle, before winding up in New York (and I think this last episode airs tomorrow). The Foo Fighters write and record a song in each city, and the song is written with a lot of the history of the particular city they are recording in, without it being an overt history lesson.

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend checking out. It's pretty cool story telling.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Is anyone checking out Sonic Highways?
on Dec 11, 2014 at 2:47:19 am

Never heard of it, but it sounds awesome. I liked Sound City a lot, so I trust Dave Grohl's quality control. Thanks for the heads up; setting my DVR to record!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 11, 2014 at 1:28:12 pm

We have watched New Orleans, Seattle and New York so far. Each is a pretty comprehensive overview of that city's influence on popular music. The Seattle one really brought me back to 1992, and I have since dusted off a large collection of flannel shirts!

Still have the rest on the DVR. It is a really well done show, nice interviews done in some unique ways different than a lot of tv interviews. I have notice lately that people are breaking the convention of looking off camera towards the side of the screen with more space. Not sure I would try that but for some subjects it seems to work.

The song the Foo Fighters perform at the end of each episode, presumably recorded in the featured studio, are all solid writing influenced by that city.

Another interesting program if you can find it is David Bowie: Five Years - profiling Bowie during the five key years of his career. He really produced an amazing variety and quality of music from 1971 to about 1983 (I know it is more than 5 years, but there were 5 years within this time span - just watch it). Some amazing rare footage from the old days, and interviews with some of the musicians who contributed.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0214tj1

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 11, 2014 at 2:35:45 pm

That's my favorite part of the show, is that you get a window in to song writing. There are many documentaries, many ways to look back, many questions to ask about who was there, what brought them there, and why did they stay or go. It's rare to see someone go through the writing process and then document it in a song. I find it to be a pretty unique way to observe the creative process. I watched Austin last night, and again, it was a great balance of how Austin came to be, but also what that means today.

[Mike Cohen] "Another interesting program if you can find it is David Bowie: Five Years - profiling Bowie during the five key years of his career"

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 11, 2014 at 2:38:20 pm

You can also still find Elvis Costello's talk show, "Spectacle", online as well. Some memorable guest singing there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]