Mark Suszko
Not showing near you
on Oct 14, 2014 at 8:02:50 pm

... at least, not yet...

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Not showing near you
on Oct 16, 2014 at 9:51:44 pm

I've never heard of the first two, but I've actually been really excited for Nightcrawler, it looks awesome. I think it's actually getting a wide release on Halloween. Or at least, I've been seeing a lot of commercials claiming that. Then again, I've been seeing endless commercials for Bill Murray's St. Vincent as well and it's not playing anywhere in the Chicago suburbs this weekend.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Not showing near you
on Oct 16, 2014 at 10:56:35 pm
Last Edited By Tim Wilson on Oct 16, 2014 at 11:05:18 pm

Nightcrawler was a big critical and audience favorite at the Toronto Film Festival last month, which is quickly becoming a bellwether for fall/winter success, including awards season. Do keep an eye out.

St. Vincent opened in 4 theaters last weekend, and will go into 25 cities tomorrow, most of them smaller markets. It opens wide on October 24.

Why roll that quietly with a Bill Murray? Several reasons.

-- His non-Wes Anderson indie comedies haven't historically done that well. In fact, when was the last time you can remember playing him a part that wasn't himself (including LITERALLY in Zombieland) or Wes Anderson? Exactly.

-- Fall release schedules are tiiiiight. October 24 was the date it had originally been booked to open, and the only reason they tried to sneak it out early was the audience reaction at the aforementioned Toronto fest. (2nd runner up for audience prize if memory serves -- which in Toronto is hella acclaim.) There just aren't many screens available, especially in big cities, where contracts for space have been signed for months, if not longer.

(We haven't talked about this yet, but Marvel and WB have announced dates for franchise properties up through 2020!!!!)

So it's a pretty big deal that they're even bothering to try to move the release forward. How often does THAT happen?

Also kind of interesting to me: this kind of dramedy has historically been Melissa McCarthy's long suit, imo. If you have Netflix, the law requires that you dip into Gilmore Girls -- rat-a-tat dialogue pace worthy of Sorkin or, even moreso, Mamet, in the service of a quirky small-town family-oriented scope.

I know that open-hearted sincerity tends to have withering scorn rained down upon it in these quarters, but the first 5 seasons were absolutely stellar. After that, showrunner got kicked off, next season hideous, showrunner comes back to try to clean up a mess she would never have created and understandably doesn't quite succeed -- sound familiar, Community fans?

Anyway, Melissa was awesome on that, in a role that played to her prettiness, niceness and smarts every bit as much as her wit. The "wacky" was dialed way, way down. Not as far as St. Vincent looks to dial it down, but Bill Murray is gonna be Bill Murray no matter what. My greatest hope from here is that this reopens opportunities for Melissa McCarthy to play with more of her skills.

Not that I think the movies have come close to exploiting her comedy chops, though. She's gold, afaic.

Somewhat interestingly somewhat related, when Harold Ramis passed, Reitman lost interest in trying to force the issue of a Ghostbusters sequel, so he handed it off to Paul Feig. After getting nowhere with a sequel -- what does the world look like after Ghostbusters have been at work for 30 years? Uhm.... -- he decided to REBOOT with a female cast, yet to be named.

Bill absolutely loves this idea. Surely partly because it gets the focus off HIM -- and dude, you know he was right, GBII was barely tolerable, and GBIII was gonna BITE -- but also because he's crazy about women he sees working today. He suggested a cast of Melissa, Kristen Wiig, Emma Stone, and Linda Cardellini, which I'd be totally up for. Read more here.

In any case, that sounds acres more interesting than anything I'd heard, or frankly, imagined, with a sequel.

Anyway, I have high hopes for St. Vincent. I really want it to be good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]