FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pynchon is hot now

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Pynchon is hot now
on Oct 2, 2014 at 3:37:58 am

First promo trailer for PT Anderson's "Inherent Vice." Looks like the trailer editor had an embarrassment of riches to pull scenes from...

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
Re: Pynchon is hot now
on Oct 2, 2014 at 1:20:53 pm

I'll definitely have to see this, although I have the book I haven't read it yet. And the idea of a filmic adaptation of Pynchon is pretty amazing, although of course Earl Mac Rauch and W.D. Richter borrowed "Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems" and Pynchonesque names for THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKEROO BANZAI ACROSS THE 8TH DIMENSION.

Actually this summer I finally tackled GRAVITY'S RAINBOW and am even slogging through MASON & DIXON (I'm up to page 615, surprisingly enough!). I guess I kept going because I am so intrigued by the ideas even though the characterizations leave a lot to be desired. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for talking dogs ("L.E.D., Learn'd English Dog") like in MEN IN BLACK.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Oct 2, 2014 at 2:37:49 pm

This looks great! I have a lot of respect for Anderson as a filmmaker, a lot. However, I'll be honest, I usually find his movies pretty boring and uninspiring. This movie looks like a hell of a good ride so I'm real excited to see what he can do with a story that really hooks me. Maybe it will even convince me to watch the rest of his catalogue.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 2, 2014 at 3:18:17 pm

It's funny to me, that "There Will Be Blood" is probably the movie I hate most in this world. This one looks like a romp on the order of Jackie Brown, crossed with One Night At McCool's, Lebowski, and Get Shorty.

Then again, a good, artful trailer editor can make it seem like you're going to a completely different movie than the one that was released.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Oct 9, 2014 at 9:38:48 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Then again, a good, artful trailer editor can make it seem like you're going to a completely different movie than the one that was released."

As a *huge* Paul Thomas Anderson fan, someone who probably would still rank his worst film as a C+ (but mostly A's and B's), I'll definitely agree that his trailers can be misleading. Look no further than The Master, a amazing trailer that represented a film that went about 20x slower than you'd think it would. Anderson has never been a guy who felt the need to tell a story quickly, and if you're willing to trust him on that (I am), then you're probably going to come away enjoying the experience.

I enjoy a fast-paced, richly plotted movie as much as the next guy, but if I want a methodically-paced, weird, character-heavy, usually depressing film; Paul Thomas Anderson is one of my go-to guys. Maybe THE go-to guy.

Inherent Vice looks awesome.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]