FORUMS: list search recent posts

A Star Trek spin-off that doesn't stink

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
A Star Trek spin-off that doesn't stink
on Sep 16, 2014 at 3:02:26 am

What I like about this right away is that it doesn't try to be a conventional 2-hour movie, OR a fan-made take-off on a TV episode. They are in a unique narrative space, mimicking those documentaries you see on History Channel or what used to be the Discovery Channel).

Considering it's just some green screen interview shots and some very nice CGI, it has the feel of a much, much larger project, and a real top-notch cast. Tony Todd throws himself into this, hard. You'll freak when you see who plays the Klingon. All the actors give great performances. The kickstarter finished with more money than they sought, so I'm hoping that means the rest of this is going into production. I've already watched this four times. I like it that much.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: A Star Trek spin-off that doesn't stink
on Sep 16, 2014 at 4:42:04 pm

C'mon and watch this already; I'm dying to talk about it some more. Watch here or direct from Youtube: "Prelude to Axenar", full movie" will get you there.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 17, 2014 at 6:52:59 pm

You guys are killing me.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 17, 2014 at 7:17:01 pm

I'll watch it when I have some more time later this week, but I warn you, my Star Trek fandom doesn't go much outside of the new/reboot movies.

Also, thanks for the recommendation on "Inferno", Mark, I started reading it yesterday!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 17, 2014 at 8:02:15 pm

Niven, when paired with Jerry Pournelle, is like Lennon paired with McCartney. Their co-written books all read like great screenplays for movies never made. Especially "The Mote In God's Eye", which would make a kick-butt HBO series.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 18, 2014 at 7:32:42 pm

I will watch this too.

But first, check this page out. Someone took screen caps from the original series, to show what it would have looked like in super wide screen:
http://cargocollective.com/nickacosta/Star-Trek-in-Cinerama

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 18, 2014 at 8:05:01 pm

Is it sad or cool that I can name pretty much every episode those stills come from?:-)

They really were pushing the boundaries of lighting on TOS, and because color TV was pretty new then, by gawd there would be LOTS of color, everywhere.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 22, 2014 at 3:16:54 pm

But how did they get the Klingon to sit down for a nice interview...?!

That was pretty good. Well written, and really well paced. I technically had no idea what they were talking about, but I understood the storyline because it was nicely explained. Agreed on the good CGI, especially for a small budget production. I can't look at Tony Todd without thinking of Candyman.

[Mark Suszko] "You'll freak when you see who plays the Klingon."

I didn't really know who Richard Hatch was, so I didn't quite freak. But I looked him up on imdB, and then I remembered I've never seen a second of any form of Battlestar Galactica in my life, so maybe I'm not the target guy for a freak out. I'm more of a "giggle at the sight of Lloyd Kaufman in Guardians of the Galaxy" kind of guy.

Good overall, though, I was a little disappointed that I couldn't see how it ended...

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 22, 2014 at 5:14:27 pm

Very well done and certainly captured the documentary feel they were going for. The little touches like having John Gill as the narrator and the speech being given in Archer Arena were cool too.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 23, 2014 at 2:06:55 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Sep 23, 2014 at 2:24:10 pm

Yes, they really captured an authentic-feeling experience. The only thing they didn't mimic was the constant short re-capping and flash-back-ing coming in and out of commercial breaks, as they do on Discovery Networks shows. That has made most of DC's shows practically un-watchble to me, unless I can fast-skip thru the redundancies.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 23, 2014 at 2:04:35 pm

Scott, as a favor to me, take some time on a down evening and watch the Premiere 2-hour first episode of the revamped Battlestar Galactica. I won't make you watch the rest, but you owe it to yourself to see the opener, for the camerawork, FX, and the performances. The camera direction and editing is at times extraordinary.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 25, 2014 at 6:44:54 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Scott, as a favor to me, take some time on a down evening and watch the Premiere 2-hour first episode of the revamped Battlestar Galactica"

I will, I'm actually eager to see what all the fuss is about! I have a cousin who swears by that show as well, and asks me if I started watching it every other time I see him. I don't doubt it's good sci-fi TV, but I've always just put other shows in front of it on my watch list. I still need to finish The Leftovers, and the last season and a half of The Sopranos! Don't even get me started on how I stopped watching Lost a couple years ago after season 3 and never went back, not because I didn't like it, but because I got sidetracked by something else. Unfinished business, man. Unfinished business.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]