FORUMS: list search recent posts

Inglorious Basterds - Love it or Hate it?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Inglorious Basterds - Love it or Hate it?
on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:29:04 pm

This is in response to Mike Cohen's comment in yesterday's Hurt Locker/Oscar thread saying Inglorious Basterds was inlgoriously boring.

I'm just curious what you didn't like about it? Because in terms of pacing and length I would go as far as to compare it to Pulp Fiction. Both are technically slow moving, dialog-heavy films, with LONG build-ups to bursts of action. I would even go as far as to say Kill Bill was the same way. Long, slow build-ups to action. I mean, the action was longer in Kill Bill because it was a martial arts throwback, but there were 15 minute portions throughout where it was incredibly slow moving. I like that kind of build-up, personally. Or, if you don't like any of those movies, are you just not a Tarantino fan?

Or does it not have to do with the pacing/length, and it's more the story and dialog are the problem?

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, haha! I just thought Basterds was a great movie, and one of my favorites of last year (maybe of the last couple years), and it was widely praised by critics, and generally liked by regular audiences. I know it's all a matter of opinion anyway, but I'm always intrigued by a different viewpoint!

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: Inglorious Basterds - Love it or Hate it?
on Mar 11, 2010 at 5:19:36 am

I once heard Guillermo del Toro saying there were great movie moments, sometimes inside great movies.

Inglorious, for me, was full of great movie moments. The initial sequence was amazing. The Bear Jew entrance from the tunnel, terrific. The bar scene... Well, I can keep going on.

But maybe it is that it can be hard to digest Tarantino's particular humor when you have Hitler in the same plate. I got entertained, yea, but I wasn't very interested in what happened to the characters.

One great Tarantino movie for Tarantino fans, I will say.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 11, 2010 at 2:52:01 pm

I have great respect for Tarantino - he is the model of someone who studied film informally and became a successful filmmaker - proving you don't need to go to USC or NYU to make good movies. I am a fan of Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown. Sure his movies are heavy on dialogue leading up to memorable moments of violence / action.
I just found the dialogue scenes in Inglorious to be too long and drawn out. I realize he was going for the subtleties in conversation, revealing moments of dramatic tension in these nuances, but the farm house scene, the bar scene and the restaurant scene felt like a stage play rather than a dramatic film. The other half of the movie featuring the Brad Pitt crew were awesome, and the climax was a good payoff. What person named Cohen would not revel in those scenes!
But overall I give it a 6 out of 10 - entertaining in parts but drawn out in others. Definitely proves that Tarantino has mastered the art but 30 minutes shorter would have been ok with me.

Mike

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 11, 2010 at 3:33:10 pm

You know I never really thought about that, but now that you mention it, the bar scene in particular did have a very stage play feel. But Tarantino always been a man who loves set pieces. Actually, haha, I just thought about this right now while I was typing; someone could probably very easily turn Reservoir Dogs into a stage play. 80% of it takes place in that warehouse, you'd probably have to do without some of the small flashbacks and whatnot, but that would be great! I would buy a ticket to that! But in the end, I'm sure it wouldn't be as good as just watching the movie... It would probably be like that movie Hamlet 2, where the guy kept adapting popular movies into stage plays with no success.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Mar 11, 2010 at 5:48:21 pm

Well, you know what they say:

-In movies, the action moves the story forward.
-In theater, the dialogs do.

I attended to a seminar once and there was this screenwriter talking about the telenovelas (soap opera). She said that, as most viewers of telenovelas were woman doing housekeeping, all the action were done by the dialogs. And the characters names were mentioned again and again, so the audience could follow the story without being attached to the TV. Like a radio show with faces.

In film school, the teachers were always trying to tell us about the "film language". The visual storytelling. And they complain about all the students work being very soap opera style.

"Try not to do just long dialog scenes" they said to us, "unless you are Tarantino".

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Apr 23, 2010 at 5:01:00 pm

It's funny you should say that. A while back I was thinking about how to do a very low budget action movie without it being naff.

I started thinking about "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead", a play from the 60s by Tom Stoppard. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are characters from Hamlet. They are Hamlet's university friends who are brought in by the king to spy for him and find out what is wrong with his nephew. They are very minor characters who see a tiny bit of the real action and never understand the situation they are in. After their brief appearance (in the original), they are sent away and we later find out what happened to them with the line "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead."

In Stoppard's play R & G are the only characters. They are stuck (and doomed) inside Shakespeare's masterpiece and all the action has already happened somewhere else. We just get their dialogue on an empty stage - comic because they are so ill-informed. Tragic because we know they will die.

I had the sudden revelation - Do the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead of the action movie! I was jumping around my room with excitement as my future became clear. Then I realised. Dammit! It's Resevoir Dogs.

Didn't think much of Inglorious Basterds. As said already, a succession of great scenes does not make a great movie.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]