FORUMS: list search recent posts

David vs. Goliath: THE HURT LOCKER wins big

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth Weiss
David vs. Goliath: THE HURT LOCKER wins big
on Mar 8, 2010 at 6:21:54 am

AVATAR is now the highest grossing film of all times, and I liked it a lot, both times I watched it. But do I think James Cameron and his film were unfairly treated by the Academy? No, and here's why...

I can still vividly recall exactly how much I disliked the visceral, adrenaline laced cocktail that was coursing through my bloodstream as I walked out of the the theater after watching THE HURT LOCKER. I absolutely hated the feeling, and I was really pissed off about it, because that feeling makes me ill.

Then, about half way up the isle, I suddenly realized, the direction was as effective as any movie I'd seen in recent times. And, I suddenly knew that the feeling I was having was precisely the feeling that Katherine Bigelow had designed, and it was precisely what she had wanted to instill in my guts, and I'd bought it, and I had become so engrossed in it that it had become my reality.

Personally, I feel that Katherine Bigelow deserves everything that comes her way. She did a better job of directing than any one of her competitors, period, end of story.

Sure, James Cameron did a great job too, and he should be commended for all the terrific things he's accomplished with AVATAR, but he was not the best director tonight. His ex-wife outdid him this time, and I think even James Cameron might agree.

Anyone else care to comment?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: David vs. Goliath: THE HURT LOCKER wins big
on Mar 8, 2010 at 2:24:16 pm

David, I agree with you. I thought Hurt locker was the first movie about the Iraq War that was not trying too hard to be a political anti-war statement. What I got from the film was that these guys on the bomb squad are so committed to their jobs that they don't know how to feel anything else, yet they are fragile people. When you deal in absolute life and death situations it is difficult to be subtle in other areas of your life.

Avatar was cool visually and as a kid who grew up on Star Wars it was the next best thing. In fact Avatar out Star Warsed Star Wars on many levels. Avatar did everything right that Phantom Menace and Return of the Jedi got wrong. But was it a best picture? I don't think so.

A best picture has to have all of the elements of great filmmaking, and Avatar was basically a Summer blockbuster movie with explosions and gee-whiz effects compared to the other nominees. Avatar had as much chance of winning best picture as District 9 or Star Trek if nominated. Well made films but not the best films of the year.

I have to add that I thought Inglorious Basterds was Ingloriously boring. But that's another thread.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 8, 2010 at 4:28:02 pm

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Hurt Locker a lot, after nerdishly ranking my favorite movies of last year it was #12, but I didn't see it as much more than an action movie with great dialog. I think it deserved every award it earned except for Best Picture. I think it had great directing, writing, editing, and the other technical aspects it won for. But was it the best movie of last year? Not really. I think Up in the Air got shafted the most. I was kind of hoping it would win for its adapted screenplay at the very least (I mean I thought it was probably the Best Picture of last year)... Is Precious really a better screenplay than Up in the Air...? I thought Precious was kinda corny and over-melodramatic in my opinion.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 8, 2010 at 5:48:38 pm

[Scott Roberts] " I think Up in the Air got shafted the most."

I also really liked UP IN THE AIR, and worked on it besides. So, I was a bit disappointed. But, I kinda figured it was doomed based on the vacant stares that both George Clooney and Jason Reitman had at the beginning of the show, as if they had been warned in advance they wouldn't be needing to memorize their acceptance speeches.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 8, 2010 at 5:59:34 pm

I didn't notice you worked on it, and all I had to do was look down at your signature, haha! That's really awesome. You should be very proud to have worked on such a great movie.

Sorry for potentially being naive, but what does an EPK Colorist do on films? Is that overall color correction kind of work?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 8, 2010 at 6:14:19 pm

[Scott Roberts] "what does an EPK Colorist do on films? Is that overall color correction kind of work?"

Scott,

EPK stands for "electronic press kit." They are comprised of scenes from the movie, behind the scenes documentary-style footage, and interviews of the cast and crew, which are sent to media outlets around the world in advance of the film's release.

A company I work with specializes in making behind the scenes docos, including EPKs and DVD/BluRay extra features, and I'm lucky enough to get to work on many cool projects for them as their colorist.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Mar 8, 2010 at 6:36:29 pm

I agree with you all. Avatar was fun, but not a best picture. I equated it with how I imagine dating a super-model - fun to look at, but not much depth. Hurt Locker was great as was Up In the Air, would have been nice to see some recognition there. Inglorious Basterds was very well done, but I did get a little bored there too.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 8, 2010 at 7:36:14 pm

Hurt Locker winning was no surprise. A lot of what I read predicted it to happen. Take a look at this article: http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/blog/68-avatar-king-of-the-box-office-world-...

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 8, 2010 at 9:47:48 pm

I have been trying really hard to care about the Oscars, but in the end, I find them mostly without meaning. Not really sure how you fairly can put some of these disparate films up against each other and make any meaningful ranking, beyond the ones in this group being all worthy of recognition. And the selection and voting is incredibly confused and political.

To me, the part about "its an honor to be nominated" is kind of right, and that's as far as it needs to go. The rest is just a bunch of... well, craziness and marketing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]