FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alright, It's Confession Time... Here's 15 Popular Movies I've Never Seen

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Alright, It's Confession Time... Here's 15 Popular Movies I've Never Seen
on Jul 16, 2014 at 8:34:56 pm

I see more movies than the average person, but probably less than a psychotic person (not calling anyone here at the COW a psycho!), but every so often, usually at a party/BBQ/friendly gathering, someone will find a movie I haven't seen and hold it over my head like it's my job to have seen every film ever created, because I'm the guy with the 1400 DVD/Blu-ray collection who goes to the movies all the time. "No, I haven't gotten around to seeing that movie, but I *have* seen "Play Time" by Jacques Tati. Twice! Yes, I live a sad, empty life, why do you ask?"

Anyway, I saw an article on Uproxx about pop culture blind spots, and it got me thinking about what I hadn't seen. So, I guess my first confession would be that this isn't that original of an idea! But I thought I'd just clear the air and get out 15 movies that I'm ashamed (sort of? maybe?) that I've gone through my life never watching.

Gone With the Wind

I think the most I've ever watched of this movie is a few YouTube clips of the more famous moments. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.", etc. Do I need to see more than that? More importantly, do I need to sit through almost four hours of this drivel? I mean, I don't have a problem with really old movies, and I don't think they're all boring. But this just looks like a really old, really boring movie. No thanks.

Planes, Trains, & Automobiles

I know there have been instances in my life when someone has brought up Planes, Trains, & Automobiles; and I had to smile and nod and change the subject to something like "Hey, remember Uncle Buck? Starring John Candy. I'm knowledgeable he's in both of those things. He was also in Home Alone. Remember Louie Anderson? He was of the same build. I used to watch his cartoon [there, now I'm about three steps away from the original subject {starts drinking heavily}]"

Moulin Rouge

Do I really want to watch this movie? It doesn't seem like it would be in my wheelhouse.

My Neighbor Totoro

I like me some Miyazaki from time to time, and I could point out an image of Totoro really easily, but I've never actually seen the movie or have any idea what it's actually about. He's a neighbor, and he's a big cat or something?

Weird Science

I'm fully aware of the premise: some dorky teens created a woman from a computer program and are using her for, I assume, boob grabbing and shower watching. I can only *assume* that because I have no recollection of actually watching the entire movie. But I have seen Rodney Dangerfield's Back to School about four times. Which is probably the best movie about competitive diving that we'll ever know. Deal with that.

Pocahontas

One summer while vacationing up in Michigan as a child, all the other kids went to see Pocahontas at the drive-in theater right when it came out (no I'm not that old, but that Michigan town is trapped in a hillbilly-esk time warp), and I for whatever reason didn't go with. When they got back, they were all singing the songs and loving it, and I didn't know any of the words and wasn't included in the fun. Maybe out of some bitter psychological issue, I never sought out the cartoon to view myself; and to this day, and I've never bothered to watch it. She dies of smallpox at the end, right? GOOD. I DON'T CARE.

Basic Instinct

I've seen the famous leg-crossing, Newman-sweating interrogation scene, of course, but I have no idea what they are interrogating her for, because that's the only scene I've ever observed. Is it the case of the missing underwear? You tell me.

Dead Poet's Society / Dead Presidents

I looked up Dead Poet's Society just now for an image to use for this post, and I thought it was the movie with the criminals in white face paint, but I quickly realized that's Dead Presidents, and Dead Poet's Society is a completely different movie I never bothered seeing, starring Robin Williams. OOPS. Here's a twofer.

Bad Boys

I've seen half of Bad Boys 2, and it wasn't intriguing enough for me to ever go back and watch the first one. I'm sure I've seen other better action movies since then that make up for it. Plus, I now have a general distaste for Michael Bay, accumulated through years of sitting through his later films, that would probably just soil the Bad Boys experience anyway.

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

I love Holy Grail, and to be honest I hadn't seen Life of Brian until about 5 years ago, but I've never seen Meaning of Life. I'm sure there's a backlog of unseen Flying Circus I need to get through as well. I suck in the Monty Python department.

The Sound of Music

I had no idea what this was about other than some lady singing on a hill, up until recently, when I caught a few minutes of the new NBC version in the background while my fiance was watching it. I found out it's about a singing family who gets killed by nazis? Or something like that? Regardless, it seemed like the most boring WWII project ever made. Where's the dehumanizing gun violence?

Face/Off

This one brings me great shame, because one of my friends had started talking to me about Face/Off *really* enthusiastically one day, and I just flat-out lied and said "Yeah, it's, uh, great. I like it a lot." Nope. Never seen it. I'M A PHONY.

The Ten Commandments

I never really grew up on these kind of epic, old desert movies. I had to seek out Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia in my early twenties. And frankly, I don't really ever plan on watching either of those movies a second time all the way through. I'm aware of the Ten Commandments story, and I'm probably never going to be in the mood/have time to sit through that whole thing anytime in the foreseeable future. I GET THE GIST.

*Most* James Bond Movies

I've seen the Daniel Craig ones. I've seen one of the Pierce Brosnan ones, probably Goldeneye, but it could have been Tomorrow Never Dies? I don't think I've seen a single Sean Connery one. The only Roger Moore one I've seen is the one that takes place in a swamp (Live and Let Die?). I've probably watched Austin Powers about 25 times, though. Yeah, babaaaay! [dodges punch to the face]

The Da Vinci Code

Other than it starring Tom Hanks and being based on some popular book, I have no idea what the hell this movie is. I don't think I've ever seen more than a publicity still from this film. I've successfully avoided it completely since it was released. I HAVE NO INTEREST.

...Any other COW folk have anything to admit...? I'm looking at you, Guy Who Still Hasn't Seen Weekend at Bernie's...!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Alright, It's Confession Time... Here's 15 Popular Movies I've Never Seen
on Jul 16, 2014 at 8:59:03 pm

[Scott]
...Any other COW folk have anything to admit...? I'm looking at you, Guy Who Still Hasn't Seen Weekend at Bernie's...!

I thought this was about "films we are ashamed that we haven't seen" not "films that we are ashamed that we have seen."

I tried to watch Don't Cry for Me Argentina 3 times when it came out on VHS since it was all the rage. I just couldn't do it. It was the only movie that has made me fall asleep while watching. In my defense the first time I just had surgery so I was still on drugs and stuff.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jul 16, 2014 at 11:34:28 pm

I usually feel ashamed at my lack of movie watching when you post all the time but today I kind of feel better than you?

But not really.

I've never seen Schindler's List. So.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 17, 2014 at 6:18:41 am

I've never seen the second half of Gone With the Wind. It played in movie theaters again in the 70s, and I just never came back after the intermission.

I've never seen any of the Godfather movies.

Haven't seen Raging Bull, even though Taxi Driver is in my all-time top 5.

Anchorman and Napoleon Dynamite are never going to happen.

Even in the midst of the punk explosion, which I was all about, I adored the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. (Not much in the way of musical either/or for me. I apologize for none of it either.) But I've still never seen the movie.

Never made it all the way through Blade Runner.

Quick notes on your movies, Scott:

-- Sean Connery is a force of nature, but his Bond movies are unwatchable to me today. Daniel Craig IS James Bond afaic. Shame that that last movie was such a trainwreck.

See what I did there?

-- Face / Off TOTALLY works, even though nothing about it SHOULD work. I range from not caring to actively hating the two leads depending on the day you ask, but man, they stick landing after landing in that movie. A ridiculous piece of glossy trifle...DIRECTED BY JOHN WOO.

Have you heard the phrase "gun fu"? It was invented to describe John Woo. Incredibly highly stylized, stunning visuals in nearly every frame. Great sci-fi conceit too, impeccably carried out for the day.

Tell me that you don't want to watch a movie that can be described as "gun fu." You can't do it. Don't even try.

-- Bad Boys 2 is an insult to humanity. Anybody who watched it deserved a car to compensate them for their lost time.

Bad Boys is wall-to-wall genius.

Looking at only Bay is taking your eye off the ball. The movie was PRODUCED by the guys who did Top Gun and Beverly Hills Cop. This is their direct descendant.

That said, this is Bay at his freshest. His debut, actually. The reason why people give him ALL THE MONEY to make any movie he wants is because the sticks the landing in every frame of Bad Boys. It wouldn't even have had to make a profit for people to say, "Welp, Mike, whaddya wanna do next? Here's more money than you count. Do whatever you want with it. Surprise me."

But in fact, it did make a profit, although less than you think. It grossed $65 million for its entire theatrical run...but it was made for only $19 million. You'd never guess it. It LOOKS like it cost $100 million to make. He gets way too little credit for polishing movies to a high sheen with flawless craftsmanship. Every detail is perfect.

(For that matter, the Transformers movies look like they cost $400 million to make. He puts every penny up on the screen, and nobody's better at it. Not even close.)

He gets grief for the PEOPLE part of his movies, but this one he nails. Will Smith was a fun TV dude and an irresistibly charismatic pop rapper before this. Here, he's a bona fide movie star, in one of the most movie star roles in cinema history. Every bit the equal of Tom Cruise in Top Gun and Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop. Downright iconic.

One of the absolute pinnacles of 90s cinema.

Not that it's not a nutsack stuffed with guns and hot air instead of testicles...but hey, sometimes you need a nutsack of a movie stuffed with guns and hot air.

-- Here's the thing about Sound of Music. Forget everything you think know except the following. Five Oscars, including Best Picture. Highest grossing picture in history before Titanic. Soundtrack was the bestselling album in history before being displaced by Tapestry.

That's the "popular" part, but I want to underscore HOW popular. THAT popular.

But it's also a movie that DESERVED the Best Picture Oscar...for the first 80% of the movie. GORGEOUS, groundbreaking 70mm cinematography, eternal songs, but once the Nazi stuff gets heavy, the movie kinda loses its way.

Talk about a force of nature, though. Julie Andrews was INSANE through the 60s and into the early 70s. If you want a REAL treat, see the movie before Sound of Music first, The Americanization of Emily, co-starring James Garner, with Arthur Hiller directing a script by PADDY CHAYEVSKY, the man who also brought us Network. Like that one, this is a scathing satire, here focusing on the cynicism of heroism, and the heroism of cynicism. It's also a canny send-up of starmaking PR and the media machine.

Not just a highlight of the 60s -- a highlight in the history of American cinema. I never got around to posting my film class syllabus -- this is definitely in it.

You watch this, then Sound of Music, in that order, and I guarantee that you will name your next two children AND your next two pets "Julie" and "Andrews."

"Hey, where's Julie?"
"Do you mean our dog or our daughter?"
"Our daughter."
"Actually, Julie's in the backyard playing with Julie."

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 17, 2014 at 2:10:15 pm

This thread has done nothing but depress me. You guys need some serious remedial catch-up viewing.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jul 20, 2014 at 8:08:16 pm

[Mark Suszko] "This thread has done nothing but depress me. You guys need some serious remedial catch-up viewing."

Excuse me but this thread is a safe place for us to support one another in our life choices. So make some confessions. I know you have some. Come onnnnnn.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 20, 2014 at 8:49:23 pm

[Kylee Wall] "Excuse me but this thread is a safe place for us to support one another in our life choices. "

Absolutely! Even my reasons for exhorting seeing some (but not all) of the movies missed was given in the spirit of "Here are some reasons to see them," and NOT as in "Wtf were you thinking." There are a million outstanding reasons for not seeing every single popular or highly acclaimed movie that was ever released...and even the crappy reasons are good enough. LOL

[Kylee Wall] "So make some confessions. I know you have some. Come onnnnnn."

The original Star Wars? Tootsie? Ghostbusters? It's gotta be something big if he's not willing to talk about it. LOL

Because really, after we've otherwise copped to Gone With The Wind, Sound of Music, Citizen Kane, Blade Runner and more...like Anchorman...what's left to be embarrassed by? Nothing, that's what. Let 'er rip, son.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 20, 2014 at 9:47:08 pm

Um, okay... I don't watch Merchant-Ivory costume dramas.

I think so far though Ive seen everything on your lists, except Bad Boys: I only watched a fragment of that on free cable a while back and switched away to something more worth-while. That I can't remember what, is more a comment on Bad Boys than my memory. The other Bad Boys movie, (same title, no relation) starring Sean Penn was amazing, though.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 21, 2014 at 3:57:57 am

Here's one none of us has probably seen...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/12/nothing-lasts-forever-review

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Jul 17, 2014 at 3:32:21 pm

Okay, I'll 'fess up:

I've never seen Citizen Kane.
Sound of Music (all the way).
Gone with the Wind (despite it being my mother's all-time favorite)

[Tim Wilson] "-- Bad Boys 2 is an insult to humanity. Anybody who watched it deserved a car to compensate them for their lost time."

Oh, good. That wasn't just me. Several times during that film I swore everyone just showed up on set, looked at each other, and said, "What do we want to do today? Pose as exterminators? That sounds funny. Let's do that!"

[Tim Wilson] "Tell me that you don't want to watch a movie that can be described as "gun fu." You can't do it. Don't even try."

And if you do, may I suggest John Woo's "Hard Boiled." All the gun-fu without the Hollywood gloss. (Not that I have anything against Hollywood gloss, mind you!)

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 17, 2014 at 4:55:57 pm

On my drives to and from Chicago on route 55, one of the landmarks is the old sun motel where they shot scenes from "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". it's very beat-up now and hard to recognize.

It's a lovely little movie, not Oscar material, but a good winter holiday season buddy comedy. I think it would make a nice double feature with John Cleese's "Clockwise". Also a good antidote if you're one of those heartless bastards who could get "burned out" on "It's A Wonderful Life". As if. We go see that, screened in a local theatre annually.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jul 18, 2014 at 4:40:07 pm

[Stephen Smith] "I tried to watch Don't Cry for Me Argentina 3 times when it came out on VHS since it was all the rage."

I have very distinct memories of my mom watching Evita on VHS a bunch of times when I was younger, and I successfully was never in the room when it happened.

[Kylee Wall] "I've never seen Schindler's List. So."

It's really good, but kind of depressing. I'd probably just re-watch Honey, I Shrunk the Kids or Spaceballs and stay happy. Anything Moranis.

[Tim Wilson] "I've never seen any of the Godfather movies."

Another confession... I don't really like Godfather II... Watched it twice and it just didn't do it for me. And have never bothered to watch Godfather III. But the first one is amazing.

[Tim Wilson] ""Hey, where's Julie?"
"Do you mean our dog or our daughter?"
"Our daughter."
"Actually, Julie's in the backyard playing with Julie.""

"And Andrews is eating toilet paper again. No... Sadly, it's not the Andrews you'd like it to be..."

[Mark Suszko] "This thread has done nothing but depress me. You guys need some serious remedial catch-up viewing."

But I've seen Captain Ron three times. THREE! You won't find a better movie co-starring Martin Short and Kurt Russell.

[Jeff Hinkle] "I've never seen Citizen Kane."

You're missing out on a lot of symbolic camera angles!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 18, 2014 at 6:13:10 pm

[Scott Roberts] "But I've seen Captain Ron three times. THREE! You won't find a better movie co-starring Martin Short and Kurt Russell."

Yeah, but it's no Overboard.

One of my favorite stories coming out of a film festival was when Kurt Russell was on hand for Escape from New York, 2 summers ago I guess.

He was talking about having been cast in Ladyhawke (forget Citizen Kane -- please tell me you've seen Ladyhawke) and Goldie saying, Don't do it. They're shooting in Italy, and if they're telling you it'll be a six week shoot, I'm telling you it's going to be 11. Nobody can make a movie in Italy. You'll be miserable.

Kurt was there for four weeks and they hadn't rolled a foot of film. He called Goldie and said, "You're right. Come get me." Then he told the producers, "Y'know what, I'm not feeling like I'm giving you what you need. You know who'd be perfect? Rutger Hauer. I know him. I can get him for you."

He'd never met Rutger Hauer. He didn't even know anybody who knew Rutger Hauer. But he made a million phone calls, "and 24 hours later, Rutger Hauer is in Italy shooting Ladyhawke, and I'm in a hotel room in Rome with Goldie Hawn. Maybe the best thing that ever happened to me. And I'm talking about being in the hotel room in Rome with Goldie Hawn."

I love this guy.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 18, 2014 at 11:40:39 pm

"You won't find a better movie co-starring Martin Short and Kurt Russell."

But though it's not with Kurt, "Innerspace" is quite good, and has the same feeling.
Plus, it has early Tony Shaloub in it!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 21, 2014 at 12:48:38 am

You're killing me. Actual murder death. There are NO gaps in your movie watching resume. NONE. You've seen every best picture winner, every cult favorite, every blockbuster.

Really?

Just to be sure, here are a couple of lists for you to check against your spreadsheets.

Best Picture Winners...and I'll even spot you the first ten years of the Oscars, because nobody named a movie earlier than 1939.

2013 - "12 Years a Slave"
2012 - "Argo"
2011 - "The Artist"
2010 - "The King's Speech"
2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
2008 - "Slumdog Millionaire"
2007 - "No Country for Old Men"
2006 - "The Departed"
2005 - "Crash"
2004 - "Million Dollar Baby"
2003 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
2002 - "Chicago"
2001 - "A Beautiful Mind"
2000 - "Gladiator"
1999 - "American Beauty"
1998 - "Shakespeare in Love"
1997 - "Titanic"
1996 - "The English Patient"
1995 - "Braveheart"
1994 - "Forrest Gump"
1993 - "Schindler’s List"
1992 - "Unforgiven"
1991 - "The Silence of the Lambs"
1990 - "Dances With Wolves"
1989 - "Driving Miss Daisy"
1988 - "Rain Man"
1987 - "The Last Emperor"
1986 - "Platoon"
1985 - "Out of Africa"
1984 - "Amadeus"
1983 - "Terms of Endearment"
1982 - "Gandhi"
1981 - "Chariots of Fire"
1980 - "Ordinary People"
1979 - "Kramer vs. Kramer"
1978 - "The Deer Hunter"
1977 - "Annie Hall"
1976 - "Rocky"
1975 - "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest"
1974 - "The Godfather Part II"
1973 - "The Sting"
1972 - "The Godfather"
1971 - "The French Connection"
1970 - "Patton"
1969 - "Midnight Cowboy"
1968 - "Oliver!"
1967 - "In the Heat of the Night"
1966 - "A Man for All Seasons"
1965 - "The Sound of Music"
1964 - "My Fair Lady"
1963 - "Tom Jones"
1962 - "Lawrence of Arabia"
1961 - "West Side Story"
1960 - "The Apartment"
1959 - "Ben-Hur"
1958 - "Gigi"
1957 - "The Bridge on the River Kwai"
1956 - "Around the World in 80 Days"
1955 - "Marty"
1954 - "On the Waterfront"
1953 - "From Here to Eternity"
1952 - "The Greatest Show on Earth"
1951 - "An American in Paris"
1950 - "All About Eve"
1949 - "All the Kings Men"
1948 - "Hamlet"
1947 - "Gentleman's Agreement"
1946 - "The Best Years of Our Lives"
1945 - "The Lost Weekend"
1944 - "Going My Way"
1943 - "Casablanca"
1942 - "Mrs. Miniver"
1941 - "How Green Was My Valley"
1940 - "Rebecca"
1939 - "Gone with the Wind"

Here are the top 50 grossing worldwide pictures of all time. Didn't miss ANY of these?

1 Avatar $2,782,275,172
2 Titanic $2,186,772,302
3 The Avengers $1,518,594,910 ]
4 Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 $1,341,511,219
5 Frozen $1,267,838,009
6 Iron Man 3 $1,215,439,994
7 Transformers: Dark of the Moon $1,123,794,079
8 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,119,929,521
9 Skyfall $1,108,561,013
10 The Dark Knight Rises $1,084,439,099
11 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1,066,179,725
12 Toy Story 3 $1,063,171,911 2010
13 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides $1,045,713,802
14 Jurassic Park $1,029,153,882 1993
15 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace $1,027,044,677
16 Alice in Wonderland $1,025,467,110
17 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey $1,017,003,568
18 The Dark Knight $1,004,558,444
19 The Lion King $987,483,777
20 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone $974,755,371
21 Despicable Me 2 $970,761,885
22 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End $963,420,425
23 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 $960,283,305
24 The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug $958,366,855
25 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
26 Finding Nemo $936,743,261
27 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince $934,416,487
28 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers $926,047,111
29 Shrek 2 $919,838,758
30 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire $896,911,078
31 Spider-Man 3 $890,871,626
32 Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs $886,686,817
33 Transformers: Age of Extinction, $886,257,000 and counting
34 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets $878,979,634
35 Ice Age: Continental Drift $877,244,782
36 LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring $871,530,324
37 The Hunger Games: Catching Fire $864,565,663
38 Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith $848,754,768
39 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen $836,303,693
40 The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 $829,685,377
41 Inception $825,532,764
42 Spider-Man $821,708,551
43 Independence Day $817,400,891
44 Shrek the Third $798,958,162
45 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban $796,688,549
46 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial $792,910,554
47 Fast & Furious 6 $788,679,850
48 Indiana Jones Crystal Skull $786,636,033
49 Spider-Man 2 $783,766,341
50 Star Wars (oops, missed that total in my copy-paste)

Or hey, maybe we do a top ten, inflation adjusted. I think most of us have nearly all of these, if not all of 'em, but I always like adjusting for inflation. I just do.

1 Gone with the Wind $3,301,400,000
2 Avatar $2,782,300,000 2009
3 Star Wars $2,710,800,000
4 Titanic $2,413,800,000
5 The Sound of Music $2,269,800,000
6 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial $2,216,800,000
7 The Ten Commandments $2,098,600,000
8 Doctor Zhivago $1,988,600,000
9 Jaws $1,945,100,000
10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs $1,746,100,000

No cult movie omissions? Evil Dead? Shaun of the Dead? Eraserhead? Harold and Maude? Midnight Run? Rocky Horror Picture Show? Princess Bride?

Needless to say, I'm not believing you for a minute. LOL You've watched enough movies to know you haven't watched all the ones that people would generally have expected you to. Surely you've got a more entertaining response than "you people depress me."

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 21, 2014 at 3:52:48 am

Well, except for the Ice Age sequels, and fast & furious sequels past the first one, yes, I HAVE seen every movie on that list.

I'm frankly as shocked as you are.

However, I watched most of them on DVD or DVR, not int he theatre. These days I tend to save my big screen money for summer blockbusters or movies where the music is going to be really important. Romantic comedies, etc. I wait for redbox or On Demand or the local Family Video store.

We watched "Marty" off my DVR just this year around Oscars time instead of watching the Oscars; they do a bunch of great movies on Turner Classics that I DVR in bulk and store up to watch much later. Between TMC and Sundance channel, I store up a lot of good stuff for free. I just watched the fully-restored "Metropolis" by Fritz Lang a few weeks ago, awesome job. And Brigitte Helm was smoking hot.

I showed my kids "The Best Years of Our Lives" this past summer. They dug it. Have YOU seen it? My 19-year-old watched "Marty" with us, as well as some other old B&W movies... I tried to get my daughter to watch "Casablanca", thinking she likes romance, but it could not hold her attention... she finds B&W movies hard to watch. maybe I should have done "To Have And have Not" instead. Many people say that's a better version of the same movie.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 21, 2014 at 2:45:19 pm

[Mark]

Well, except for the Ice Age sequels, and fast & furious sequels past the first one, yes, I HAVE seen every movie on that list.

On Jun 30, 2014 at 6:29:06 pm Mark wrote:

Have not watched ANY of the Tformer movies. And proud.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon was 7 on the top grossing list.
Transformers: Age of Extinction was 33 on the Top grossing list.

On the Top 50 grossing list I have seen everything except:
-Harry Potter Films, Twilight Films, Ice Age Films, Shrek Films and Alice in Wonderland (Assuming that wasn't the cartoon). Movies on the list you can't un-see: Indiana Jones Crystal Skull & Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

Final note, that is amazing that ET and Star Wars 4 is still on the list especially with higher ticket prices and World Wide distribution being much bigger now then it was.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jul 21, 2014 at 7:14:43 pm

Great post Scott. Tim, you not seeing The Godfather makes me feel better about all the movies I have not seen yet. I have three different categories of movies I haven't seen.

Too Sad: (Schindlers' List, Grapes of Wrath, Life is Beautiful) I REALLY want to see these movies but when I sit down at night, honestly, I usually just want to watch the first season of Arrested Development.

Fellini, Rosellini, Kurosawa: (Foreign Films) It's not that I don't like foreign films, Amelie and The Intouchables are two of my favorites. But like the reason above, I usually want to watch a film for entertainment, not just art. And when I think of foreign films I think of films snobs telling my how the color of the background is way more important than an interesting scene or how important the graphic rape scene was to the story. No thanks, I'm gonna watch Mr. Bean (the show, not the movie).

Over Rated: (There's Something About Mary) I've probably mentioned this before but I was really luke warm when I saw Napoleon Dynamite. I saw it way after all of the buzz, and it just didn't live up. I'm convinced though that if I had discovered it, I would have loved it. Same with the 40 Year Old Virgin, because I loved Knocked Up which I saw before the hype and those movies are pretty similar. So when a movie or show is so hyped up, I have a though time knowing there is no way it can live up to the hype. (The exception here is Casablanca, no amount of hype could have destroyed that movie because it's just that damn good).

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 21, 2014 at 8:00:25 pm

[Jeff Breuer] "Too Sad: (Schindlers' List, Grapes of Wrath, Life is Beautiful)"

I have a loooong list of things too sad to watch. You know what, I know that xxx was bad. I don't need to be informed more than I already am and I don't need catharsis. To me, it's like the difference between "good for me" and "good." I'd rather have a "good" movie that's more of a snack, than watch one because I "ought" to because it's enriching. I guess that's it. I look to books and great TV for meals, and movies for snacks.

(I don't mean to say "books" as a snob. I read a ton of YA fiction, with post-apocalyptic plucky girls as protagonists -- think Hunger Games, which is only one of a vast genre that you're missing out on if you loved that one -- and enough vampire romance stuff that many grownups would be embarrassed to be seen alongside me carrying these books.)

As far as "meal" movies, I personally felt that Grapes of Wrath had a good bit of light at the end...but I don't know that it's enough to get it off this list for you.

That's kind of thing with all of these. I KNOW I'm never getting to some of these because there's too many other movies, including new ones, TV SHOWS (which are obviously often better than movies; for me, as a percentage, well ahead of movies), BOOKS (I read a lot, but see above), the Red Sox, books, sleep, TV, other movies -- stuff like that. LOL

I put this set of confessions in the general category of "disappointments that I'm learning to live with in the latter half of my life." LOL Harder than it sounds, but fortunately getting easier with all the practice I'm getting. LOL

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Jul 21, 2014 at 3:46:07 pm

Heck, after going through those lists, I'm feeling pretty okay about myself. Seriously good chunk of the Best Picture winners under my belt, even better chunk of the Top Grossers. All? No. But I'm good with that. I haven't seen Citizen Kane, but I've seen Birdemic. Twice. So, y'know, there's that.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Matthew Rueger
on Jul 25, 2014 at 6:27:21 am

Weighing in on the ones on the list I've seen:

Gone With The Wind: Yes, it's almost an ordeal to watch this one in one sitting, but it's such an iconic film for a reason. The film itself is so colossal for its time that, as someone who works in the film world, I feel overwhelmed imagining how they went about filming this movie. Of course, you can always look into the history of it (a surprisingly good read that makes you appreciate the film all the more).

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: I'd recommend this one, definitely. Smart and quirky in all the ways I like. And who doesn't like John Candy and Steve Martin (before the latter sold out to make the abominable Cheaper By the Dozen)?

Weird Science: Pretty generic 80's comedy. Not a terrible movie by any stretch, but by no means "unmissable," at least in my opinion.

Pocahontas: If you love animation, give it a watch. Like all Disney classics, it's pretty much top of the heap quality stuff when it comes to animated features, while simultaneously bastardizing the original story or historical events on which it's based.

Basic Instinct: The premise is that she is being accused of murdering her husband. Michael Douglass is investigating, and she begins to lure him in. The purpose of this move is just to oggle Sharon Stone.

The Meaning of Life: Vintage Monty Python. If you're a fan of the group, this is one of my favorites.

The Sound of Music: Certainly a classic, but only if you like musicals.

James Bond: There are plenty of entertaining Bond films out there, but Connery is and always will be my favorite Bond. Though I really do like the absolute ruthlessness of Daniel Craig's Bond, there's something about Connery's interpretation of the character that always stuck with me. Maybe it's because he was the first...(No. No, wait. It's just the accent)

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jul 25, 2014 at 2:29:32 pm

Funny thread. The only problem is that it might make somebody miss out on an experience they would have enjoyed. If you go into a movie thinking about it too critically, you won't be able to enter its world long enough to give it a fair shot.

otoh, it's fun to cast stones at some of these icons of movie "greatness" - I had sort of an "Emperor has no clothes" glee reading these lists.

What about a list of Movies I Should Love But Don't Really Want to See Again? I have a few of those, starting with The Seventh Seal.

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]