FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kim Jong Un Threatens War over James Franco's New Movie

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Kim Jong Un Threatens War over James Franco's New Movie
on Jun 25, 2014 at 5:36:28 pm

Say what you might about Franco - he and Seth Rogen make funny movies. Their new buddy comedy about going to North Korea has Mr Un in a tizzy:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-north-korea-...

This is not the first time a dictator or radical group has threatened violence over Western media (Salman Rushdie, Theo Van Gogh, Jyllands-Posten Cartoon incident).

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Perhaps the producers of Red Dawn will re-edit the movie to be about a fictional country named Wazzupistan.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Kim Jong Un Threatens War over James Franco's New Movie
on Jun 25, 2014 at 6:03:27 pm

I hope Kim Jong Un doesn't see the newest GI Joe movie.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jun 25, 2014 at 10:35:58 pm

And what's funny is his Dad loved Hollywood movies. I learned that fact from watching behind the scenes videos from this great gem:

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 26, 2014 at 12:42:15 am

Don't anybody show him Sasha Cohen's "The DIctator".

Not because it would further enrage him...

It's just not that good a movie:-)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 26, 2014 at 1:54:37 am

This is a hilarious story until you read what exactly was said. This is nothing like an isolated cleric sputtering about South Park.

And I'd seen that TAWP clip, Jeff. I loved Kim Jong-il in that movie, and I'm not at all surprised he loved it too. Nobody was talking about killing HIM, the ACTUAL Supreme Leader of Korea. It was a marionette. Americans looked stupid for trying to impose their morals on the rest of the world, and "Kim Jong-il" was a bug from outer space. AND he had the best song in the movie. It was all in fun.

The difference is that this time, regardless of it being Rogen and Franco, there's a movie that has an actual plot to kill an actual guy. A guy with nukes (ACTUAL NUKES, not phony fakey fraud imaginary ones) and the world's 4th largest army. It doesn't matter that he's being ridiculous, and his dad would probably slap him and tell him bring back Dennis Rodman to watch it in the movie room. This guy is a genuine maniac, even by dictator standards.

Step back from the goofy angle, and look at it as, say, a member of the US State Department. Or the government of a US ally who has been tracking possible threats from North Korea and has no interest in helping us with a war over a movie.

Or a studio guy. Or the movie producers. Or Rogen and Franco.

How would you play it out? Reshoot the movie to go after the Supreme Leader of Stanstanistan? Leave it on the shelf? As Rogen and Franco, gracefully withdraw it from distribution before it opens?

Or does the studio throw down on the US government, and insist they go toe-to-toe with a maniac with nukes? I don't see THAT happening, nor the variation of the House, the Senate, and the President standing as one to say we're not going to let an unhinged, nuclear-armed dictator tell us which crappy movies we can watch.

My bet is on some combination of the studio and the producers saying, "Our bad, no harm no foul, right?" and not forcing the matter...but either way, this is for real. Depending on how it plays out, your grandkids might be studying this story in school some day.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jun 26, 2014 at 2:56:27 pm

Tim, I bet if you said that to Rogan and Franco and explained the urgency and the possible serious consequences their response would be, "We got a great idea for This Is The End Part II!"

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 26, 2014 at 3:10:11 pm

Here's Rogen's response to this controversy (so far):

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 26, 2014 at 5:22:27 pm

That's the perfect response for now. And I certainly wouldn't expect anything much more substantial for months. There's no telling how this will look after a few months and some diplomacy goes by...

...but I'd also be suggesting to Seth that, until we know how serious this is, he might not should give those guys much more material for the locker room bulletin board either.

FWIW, here's the actual trailer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]