FORUMS: list search recent posts

Orange is the New Black S2

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylee Peña
Orange is the New Black S2
on Jun 24, 2014 at 3:14:02 am

Anyone else binge on this the first weekend it was available? Because I did.

I felt like season two was stronger than season one, MAYBE because there was less exposition. The whole first season was basically setting up the huge cast's backstories, and now in season two we're able to get a little closer and dive into a complex power struggle between two of the women who aren't technically the main character.

I still don't much care for Piper as a character, and I'm not sure why. She just makes terrible decisions for no reason. And weirdly, it seemed like this season was two completely unrelated storylines: Piper and her stuff, and the entire rest of the prison ladies. It wasn't bad, but when we went with Piper I wondered why we were there.

But it was really enjoyable. I liked it. I can't really complain. I was entertained enough to watch ten hours (or whatever) of television in two days. AND I felt like it was completely worth it. So...you win again, Netflix. Here, have my soul. Or what remains of it.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Orange is the New Black S2
on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:04:01 pm

Kylie - did your hair by any chance used to be black? Just kidding

We watched last season and were amazed at how good it was. I like the way each episode weaves in the back story of a secondary character, rather than just focusing on Piper's miserable story.

We are almost done with season 2. Actually, these should perhaps not be called "seasons" since all episodes are released at the same time. Perhaps "series" is a better word, and the term used by the British.

There was a BBC women in prison show we watched a few years ago which was similar including the raunchiness.

Likewise I have been watching House of Cards, but that is worthy of its own thread.

Or perhaps the thread should be about non-broadcast series. With Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and other non-broadcast services producing not only original programming, but really good original programming that wins Emmys, the broadcast networks who are not AMC, TNT, FX, USA, HBO, Showtime and Cinemax must be a tad concerned that they are being excluded from quality programming. Not that Orange or Cards could appear on NBC, CBS, ABC or FOX without significant dubbing and mosaic effects!

A funny thing about Orange is that at least two of the actors also appeared together in the American Pie movies. Not sure if there is a reason for the casting or just a coincidence. This one time, at prison camp...

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 24, 2014 at 6:15:23 pm
Last Edited By Scott Roberts on Jun 24, 2014 at 6:16:13 pm

I *would* have binged watched if I could, but I've been so busy I've only been able to watch an episode every couple of days. Only on episode 7 of season 2... But there have been a few times at 1 am when I had to resist every urge to watch another one and be tired the next day.

I agree Kylee and Mike, Piper is one of the least interesting characters, and I was really mostly entertained by her only in the first couple of episodes of season 1. It seems like season 2 is catering a lot to the fans, who outwardly expressed their love of Crazy Eyes, Taystee, and Big Boo; who now have much more featured and expanded roles.

I look forward to finishing the season sometime in the next month...!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 24, 2014 at 6:26:49 pm

While the show is based upon the memoirs of Piper in real life, I think the show could survive as an ensemble. While Jack and Kate were sort of the main characters on Lost, Hurley, Sawyer, Locke and the others made the show interesting even when Jack and Kate were absent, and they all had a role to play in the story.

Now if we come to find out that beneath the Lichtfield Prison there is a room with a computer that needs to be reset every 3 hours then we are in for a treat!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]