FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Movies for World Cup?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
Best Movies for World Cup?
on Jun 16, 2014 at 2:52:17 pm

Living in Arizona, there are no prime time World Cup games so I need to find something else to do for the last few hours of my day. What futball/soccer movies top your list? For the record, I am expecting multiple mentions of Shaolin Soccer and Ladybugs and at least one mention Kicking & Screaming and The Big Green.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
Re: Best Movies for World Cup?
on Jun 17, 2014 at 7:54:05 am

Escape to victory! - Stallone, pele, michael Caine! Nazis!

When Saturday comes - Sean Bean at his Sheffield boyhood club, with Pete postlethwaite

Fever pitch - nick hornby's original one with Colin firth

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 17, 2014 at 12:04:18 pm

Goal - there is a series of three of these films, telling how a young kid from South America becomes a world famous footballer, including living large like Beckham.

Bend it like Beckham - this movie made Kiera Knightly a star - can't remember much else about the film

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 17, 2014 at 12:58:06 pm

I saw some soccer movies a couple of years ago, The Damn United and Green Street Hooligans, which were entertaining, but not entertaining enough to ever get me to watch them again.

But let’s get down to business here for a minute. There’s only one *TRULY* important soccer movie:

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:11:40 am

Yes, Air Bud...Thanks Scott, how could I forget?!

Tom, "Escape to victory! - Stallone, pele, michael Caine! Nazis!"

How can I turn THAT down?!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 18, 2014 at 1:14:07 am

It's clear that none of you are teenage girls like myself, or you'd put Bend It Like Beckham at the top of your list. A REALLY GOOD MOVIE.

Other choices:

Maradona by Kusturica. Terrific doc that, as the name suggests, has elements of the filmmaker and his relationship as much as the subject himself, the Argentinian legend. His goal against Britain in the 86 World Cup is considered among the greatest in history. Beyond just the man and the game, the movie takes in politics (his friendships with Castro and Chavez led W to declare him a murderer by association), addiction, and passion and skill the likes of which you may never have seen before. HIGHLY recommended.

A little more to the point, ESPN's fabulous 30 for 30 series of documentary shorts (WATCH THESE) did a wonderful piece called Maradona 86. No kidding, this really is considered maybe the best performance in the history of the game, and this 14 minute documentary does a great job putting it in context.

The "Play" button is kinda hard to find on some browsers, but it's there at the top of the page, I promise. Also a great description on the movie's himpage if you don't feel like investing 14 minutes...but COME ON. DO IT.

It was both illuminating and an affront, beguiling and an outrage, and the fervor that surrounded him was unprecedented, bordering on the religious. Constructed from archive material, "Maradona '86" is an ode to this ultimate footballing idol, basking in the operatic intensity of his performance in Mexico as he wrote his name on football history forever.

Of course, the longer documentary is the one that includes a marriage in the Church of Maradona, with the bride dropkicking a soccer ball.

At the very least, you NEED the 14 minute short...but the long one is kinda crazy, and a remarkable insight into one of the all-time greats.

Mean Machine is a British remake of The Longest Yard with the "other" football. Jason Statham, an unintelligible psycho? Say it ain't so!

Going the other way across the Atlantic, Fever Pitch was an execrable Jimmy Fallon/Drew Barrymore joint, but the British original was terrific. The movie is a fictionalized version of an autobiographical set of stories by Nick Hornby (High Fidelity, About a Boy). The book was very highly regarded and very successful, and as typical of a lot of Hornby's work, the movie is a heartfelt yet incisive (you like that? LOL) look at the "fan" aspect of fanaticism.

I wish I could forget this one. The good news is that it makes Air Bud: World Pup seem like Taxi Driver. Wait. Maybe that's not good news.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jun 18, 2014 at 5:39:48 am

Oh forgot the zidane documentary- Zidane a 21st century portrait. It follows the maestro through one match with 17 cameras tracking his every move and touch and shows his complete artistry and control over the ball. It shows why in Europe he is regarded as the best midfielder to grace the game.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jun 18, 2014 at 5:46:20 am

If you feel like reading any books to match your creeping football interest I can recommend Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby, My Father and Other Working Class Heroes by Gary Imlach, Provided you don't kiss me by Duncan Hamilton (a look at the greatest English club manager of all time, Brian Clough) and The Damned United by David Peace.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]