FORUMS: list search recent posts

X-Men: Days Of Future Passed

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
X-Men: Days Of Future Passed
on May 27, 2014 at 2:05:08 am

This was big, ambitious, far-reaching. The plot is a fairly simple variation of Harlan Ellison's ideas, mixed with ideas from the first Matrix film, but the execution was impressive. I like that it was a time travel story without actual time travel, merely information communication. Though for scientific consistency, there are just tons of holes in the Sentinels aspect, it's best not to look too closely at the seams of this thing, it's just a comic book movie.

McAvoy and Fassbinder do a great job here, extending and improving their characterizations of young Magneto and Young Xavier from the previous movie, also set in the past. Jackman's finally had enough practice playing Wolverine to get his nuances right in this film... that, or they just figured out how to write his character better. Jennifer Lawrence plays her character as angry and naked all the time, and that's about it. At the core, this movie is about chasing and trying to calm down a lady who is very p.o.'ed.

I watched in 2-d for financial reasons, but can see they put in a LOT of depth-candy for the 3-d version... all that was missing was Woody Tobias Junior.

There are numerous call-backs and Easter-Eggs in the script and shooting that tie back to the previous films, and your enjoyment of these would probably be improved by watching the previous films once again (But you can skip the Wolverine in Japan thing).

The plot of this film absolutely blows-up the story and character continuity from the previous x-men films. You're going to need a compendium to track al the changes and implications. This creates lots of new potential stories for the future films in this franchise, but may disturb some folks who like their continuity um... continuous.

There's an after-credits teaser to stay for, though because I'm not that deep of a comics nerd, I don't know WTH it was supposed to be teasing.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: X-Men: Days Of Future Passed
on May 27, 2014 at 6:04:57 am

[Mark Suszko] " At the core, this movie is about chasing and trying to calm down a lady who is very p.o.'ed."

Hell hath no furry... ;)

I very much enjoyed the movie (especially with how horrible Last Stand was). The focus on the relationships between Xavier, Magneto and Mystique was very well done as well as Trask being a catalyst as opposed to a Dick Dastardly type villain. The balance between old cast and new cast was handled very deftly too (as opposed to the much less successful attempt at a franchise 'hand off' by Star Trek Generations).

Yes, you shouldn't over think anything but it was a good film and I think it saved the franchise which really bottomed out with Last Stand and so-so stand alone Wolverine movies.

[Mark Suszko] "There's an after-credits teaser to stay for, though because I'm not that deep of a comics nerd, I don't know WTH it was supposed to be teasing."

The uber-villian, Apocalypse.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/26/x-men-s-post-credits-apoca...

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on May 27, 2014 at 2:23:19 pm

I very much enjoyed Days of Future Past, as I did First Class previously.

My recollection of the X-Med trilogy is that Part 1 was "getting the team together", part 2 and 3 were Xavier and Magneto duking it out at the expense of the rest of the world. And Rebecca Romjin naked.

So the continuity does not really matter to me with anything except First Class. This is much like Star Trek's opening scenes, in which canon and new timelines diverged in the woods. All we need to do is get the Sports Almanac back from Biff in 1955 to restore the timeline.

But anyway.

Peter Dinklage did not have enough screen time - given his personality and Game of Thrones awesomeness I would have liked to have seen more from him. But he was a good subdued character. I think he'll be getting a lot more movie roles moving forward. And nice to see him cast in a role that has nothing to do with being a little person, unless he turns out to be a mutant in the next one.

If we think too literally, then the Sentinels technology was impossible in 1973. However this takes place in Fantasy-land, so anything is possible.

Did anyone see a parallel to Inception with Ellen Page facilitating a dream-like journey from a fanciful palace?

How again does Magneto fly? Is he pushing himself away from metal things on the ground or is he levitating his metal helmet and himself along with it?

But overall I really enjoyed this picture. Didn't get the post-credits scene but I'm sure it will be important.

A couple of notes about the theater-going experience.

1. If you are a parent of young kids, don't take them to this movie, or if you do, cover their eyes when Hugh Jackman is about to get out of bed - he's full-backside naked. A few little tikes and their parents in my audience seems upset by this. Parents of young kids seem to think if it is a comic book movie, it must be a kids' movie.

2. If you must keep your phone on, please put it on vibrate, and leave the theater if you need to actually take a call.

3. If you must eat popcorn or candy, please try to be quiet about manipulating the bag or wrapper

4. If you take your grandpa to the movies, buy him a cup of coffee. The guy sitting behind me was snoring loudly for much of the movie.

Minor points. Overall I still like seeing a movie on the big screen

Mike

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 27, 2014 at 3:12:51 pm

Magneto levitates himself by interacting with Earth's magnetic field, or metal in the Earth's crust.

My son and I hear Trask brag that his Sentinel robots are 100 percent plastic, no metal, so magneto can't affect them. But they are full of computer circuitry that's made with what, then, in 1970's era technology? Fluidics? On a scale needed to control a Sentinel? And they are powered by what? They fly using jet engines driven by what? No metals? Harrumph.

The chick that throws portals around was very interesting with a cool power.

Bishop makes little sense in this movie. Needed a little explanation of his background.

Dinklage makes a perfect Trask, as Trask was also short, even looked similar, but really, I don't know a lot about the x-men franchise; it was too far-flung to keep up with for me.

Back to the continuity though:

In the new reality Wolverine returns to, Scott and Jean Grey are alive, Toad and other bad mutants we saw killed in earlier x-men movies are alive again. The romantic triangle of Logan/Scott/Jean is now apparently about to re-form, except logan knows all the back-story of the last 40 years. With that knowledge, he may do things differently, or tell Xavier what to watch out for. The story implications are huge.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on May 29, 2014 at 1:16:45 pm

[Mike Cohen] "If you are a parent of young kids, don't take them to this movie, or if you do, cover their eyes when Hugh Jackman is about to get out of bed - he's full-backside naked. A few little tikes and their parents in my audience seems upset by this. Parents of young kids seem to think if it is a comic book movie, it must be a kids' movie. "

I thought it was pretty interesting/hilarious that in a movie where Jennifer Lawrence is walking around practically naked with a thin layer of blue body paint on, the only actual nudity we're subjected to is Hugh Jackman's butt.

[Mike Cohen] "If you must eat popcorn or candy, please try to be quiet about manipulating the bag or wrapper"

Anyone who closes up their popcorn bag and shakes it like a maraca to distribute the seasoning in the middle of a freakin movie deserves to get thrown out of the theater. I HATE YOU IF YOU DO THIS. I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT.

[Mark Suszko] "My son and I hear Trask brag that his Sentinel robots are 100 percent plastic, no metal, so magneto can't affect them. But they are full of computer circuitry that's made with what, then, in 1970's era technology? Fluidics? On a scale needed to control a Sentinel? And they are powered by what? They fly using jet engines driven by what? No metals? Harrumph. "

Magic!

Anyway, here’s my quick thoughts on the film:

-That slow motion Quicksilver scene was not only the best scene in the movie, but will probably end up being one of my favorite scenes of *any* movie this year.  It was one of those perfectly executed moments, with a great beginning, middle, and end; that had a perfect mix of legitimately great comedy and pretty freakin awesome special effects.  Also, Jim Croce's "Time in a Bottle"?  That's some subtle music selection humor right there.

-There hasn't been a better storyline for an X-Men film since X2.  Even as far as all superhero movies go, Days of Future Past was about as complex as anything I've seen (excluding maybe Watchmen).  Think about something like The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and then attempt to break down the significant plot points in comparison to X-Men Sequel Prequel 2.  It's almost laughable how casually nothing can happen in a lot of superhero movies.  But yeah, I really enjoyed the multiple timeline storytelling going on in this movie.  Also, someone wrote a screenplay in which Assbender destroys an entire baseball stadium, so that get's extra points in my book.

-Everyone knows the action in X-Men works best when a bunch of different mutants are doing a bunch of different mutant things.  So when the frog guy is hitting people with his giant tongue while tattoo guy is making people puke in the corner while spike head guy is doing his spike head guy thing, it's all super fun.  Same goes double for portal throwing girl throwing things while Iceman and Pyro do their contrasting elemental damage.  Fire and Ice was always Robert Frost's most badass poem about the X-Men.

-Apocalypse's post-credits scene was pretty radical, you guys.

-Hey, where's Rogue?  Did Rogue die?  Is Anna Paquin too big for X-Men now?  She's only on that crappy True Blood show.  Even Jean Grey is in this story, and she died like 4 movies ago.  True Blood hasn't even been good since season 4.  Hey, where's Rogue?

-I agree with Mike on Peter Dinklage being underused, not just in terms of screen time, but also in terms of any kind of gravitas or emotion.  He's just kinda there.  And as I learned from Knights of Badassdom, having Peter Dinklage just *be there* isn't good enough.

-The sentinels looked kinda like small versions of the robot from Thor.  But with less annoying sounds.

-Could have used a little less Cyclops.  YEAH, I KNOW HE WAS ONLY IN IT FOR 15 SECONDS.

-I think I may have to have Ellen Page do her time travel powers on me so I can go back about eight years to the last time I saw X2, so I can ask myself if I liked Days of Future Past More than the original sequel.  For now, I guess I'll say they're about tied.  My mutant power is drastic uncertainty!

And with that, I give you the definitive, yet completely subjective ranking of the X-Men movies!

1/2.  The one where they meet Nightcrawler / The one with time travel

3.  The one where they join forces in the 1960s

4.  Wolverine's Japanese Super Happy Fun Time Movie

5.  The first one

6.  The one where Brett Ratner screwed up the Phoenix saga

7.  The one where Wolverine gets metal claws and jumps off a motorcycle onto a helicopter while screaming loudly

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 29, 2014 at 1:55:35 pm

If I had a super power, it would be the trick of always picking the right elevator door to stand in front of. It would also work for standing in lines and finding parking spaces.

Larry Niven invented a cool sort of super-power in his books. A woman named Teela Brown is bred to be incredibly lucky. Only it turns out that in Niven's universe, luck, like the magical source power known as "mana", obeys laws of thermodynamics, and for her to enjoy some kind of lucky break, means one or more people nearby are going to have very BAD luck. The more bent probability has to be to make her lucky, the worse it is for bystanders.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 29, 2014 at 2:14:54 pm

The high speed kitchen scene implies that Quicksilver is listening to the music in subjective real time. Does that mean the walkman is playing at 7000 ips, or that objects in contact with his body enter his sped-up bubble of time? If that's the case, why does he need the goggles? They do nothing?

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on May 29, 2014 at 2:21:31 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Does that mean the walkman is playing at 7000 ips, or that objects in contact with his body enter his sped-up bubble of time?"

I'll go with the latter on that one.

[Mark Suszko] "If that's the case, why does he need the goggles? They do nothing?"

I can't tell if you were making a Simpsons reference or not, but I'll post this clip anyway:

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 29, 2014 at 3:22:08 pm

Of course I was.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on May 29, 2014 at 3:45:48 pm

Good, just double checking. Now here's a completely unrelated additional Simpsons clip. That's my new mutant power. Posting unrelated videos.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 29, 2014 at 6:51:03 pm

[Scott Roberts] "-Hey, where's Rogue?  Did Rogue die?  Is Anna Paquin too big for X-Men now?  She's only on that crappy True Blood show.  Even Jean Grey is in this story, and she died like 4 movies ago.  True Blood hasn't even been good since season 4.  Hey, where's Rogue?
"

Rogue was part of subplot that ultimately got cut so all she ends up with is a quick cameo at the end when Wolverine awakens in the 'new future' at the school.

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/heres-happens-anna-paquins-deleted-174900997....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]