FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another Sign of Blockbuster's Doom

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Another Sign of Blockbuster's Doom
on Mar 3, 2010 at 3:40:14 pm

It must be getting close to the end! I went into Blockbuster last night to rent 2012 (neat effects, kind of stupid overall, though), and the employee at the register informed me of a "new" policy that went into effect this past Monday. Basically they are charging $5 for every movie in the store (new release or classic), you can keep everything for 5 days, and they are reinstating a late fee! It is $1 a day for every day after the 5th.

Bringing back late fees should be the final straw in switching over the remainder of the public (including me) to other means of renting. I don't particularly hate Blockbuster, as I've been going there for sporadically for years, but I can't help but smirk a little bit. I go there almost with a full awareness that I'm getting at least slightly ripped off, but it's convenient for my situation I suppose. I guess if I really think about it, I'm somewhat sick of their crap.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Another Sign of Blockbuster's Doom
on Mar 3, 2010 at 4:17:43 pm

Yeah, I gave up on Blockbusters a while ago. You may want to look into setting up a monthly account with Blockbusters. For me, Redbox is everywhere and a buck. Netflix, with how much I rent turns into a dollar a DVD.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 3, 2010 at 7:45:22 pm

Forget Blockebuster and do RedBox.

"Oh, you wanted to RECORD that?"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 3, 2010 at 8:08:22 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Forget Blockebuster and do RedBox. "

And, exactly what do you do if the DVD comes scratched and unplayable? That's exactly what happened to me the first time I ever tried RedBox, and I'm not sure what remedy there is.

By the way, the INVENTION OF LYING was the movie, starring Ricky Gervias, and the parts that did play were absolutely hilarious.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 4, 2010 at 7:49:43 pm

Red Box has an online presence that lets you reserve a disk at a particular box, for when you know where you're going to be and you don't want to be disappointed just hoping the title you want is in the box when you walk up to it. I imagine the web site would have to have some contact mechanism for reporting the bad disk, so the service guy would swap it out on their next service visit. OTOH, you hear about Netflix disks coming badly scratched or even snapped in half by the mailman sometimes as well. Nothing's perfect.

I would try Blockbuster for older titles, but they usually disappoint me on that score. For brand new releases, you can really go anywhere, and it is silly to pay five bucks at BB versus 99 cents at Red Box in the same store where you buy your groceries or pick up a prescription. Where I live, they are ubiquitous.

For classic or obscure niche genre' movies, these days it is about as cheap to buy a used copy off Amazon as to rent a netflix of it.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 4, 2010 at 10:31:22 pm

Yeah, whenever I read/hear about a movie I want to see, I almost always check Amazon Marketplace first, and if they are selling it used for less than $10, I usually just buy it. Might as well own it forever for $3 or $4 more than renting it once at Blockbuster. I really only go to Blockbuster for brand new releases that I want to see, but have a strong feeling that I won't want to own forever.

I really should check out Red Box. The reason I never have before was that the only one I know about is in the Wal-Mart by my house, crammed in between a candy machine and a stuffed animal claw machine, in the space between the two exit doors where they keep empty carts... Let's just say I didn't think it looked legit based on its location. But if everyone says it's for real, maybe I shall investigate!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 15, 2010 at 3:27:07 pm

[David] And, exactly what do you do if the DVD comes scratched and unplayable? That's exactly what happened to me the first time I ever tried RedBox, and I'm not sure what remedy there is.

I got my first really scratched up disc at Redbox that I could not fix. It skipped in two places. Anyways, I reported it and they gave me two free rentals. I've been told that Netflix will re-send you the DVD and the next one in your Que. Sounds like a good deal to me. Sorry your first time at Redbox was not pleasant.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Mar 5, 2010 at 10:24:35 pm

According to The Louisville Courier-Journal:

INDIANAPOLIS -- A Southern Indiana prosecutor has threatened criminal charges unless stores with DVD rental kiosks remove R-rated movies and other material considered harmful to children.

(...)

Letters sent to retailers in recent weeks by the office of Vanderburgh County Prosecutor Stanley Levco may amount to the largest crackdown yet in Indiana.

It's driven, at least in part, by the kiosks' old-school competitors -- the brick-and-mortar video stores that say they provide safeguards by requiring customers renting R-rated DVDs to show ID.

(...)

"I'm not on a crusade," said Paul Black, an Evansville attorney who says he suggested the inquiry to Levco's office on behalf of a client who operates several video store locations. "We're just looking for a level playing field here."

Black, who declined to identify his client, said Levco's office sent letters to about a dozen stores in Vanderburgh County.

Video Buyers Group, a trade organization representing 1,700 independent video store owners, also has been in contact with Levco about his latest action against kiosks, said Jon Engen, the organization's marketing manager.

The Blockbusters and others know their days are numbered. This is a rearguard action at best.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 6, 2010 at 12:42:24 am

Ridiculous, the judge will likely throw the case out immediately, since you need a credit or debit card to rent from a red box, and banks don't issue those to minors. Same as lottery ticket dispensers.
Failing that, red box could easily send the registered adult card holder an email confirmation of each rental. Or they can institute a pin number, right now the pin is just your zipcode. This really is just sour grapes by brick and mortar stores that are about to go extinct.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 17, 2010 at 6:37:32 pm

The Hollywood Video near my home is closing, everything must go. They already pretty much sold off all the anime' and the best foreign films, at the time I only had five minutes to look around but I did walk out with Watchmen for $3 and Killer Clowns From Outer Space for another $3. I'll have to go back and spend more time hunting for whatever good/ obscure/classic titles are left.
Hollywood video was my local "go-to" place for antyhing that wasn't a big popular movie just released on DVD. But as time passed, even they stopped carrying the back catalog of many titles, which then made them irrelevant to me.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 17, 2010 at 6:45:38 pm

It is also the end of the mom and pop video store. We have a store near us that we went to for 10 years, first for VHS then DVD when the owner finally admitted that DVD was viable around 2004.

We switched to videos by mail and vending machine rental completely in 2006 when it became apparent that $3.50 per night for new releases plus $3/day in late fees plus the owner's bad attitude was a non-starter.

The guy seems to still be in business, but I think he makes a lot from his pinball machines and candy sales, and whatever is behind that curtain.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 25, 2010 at 8:43:57 pm

Blockbuster stock at 30 cents. Not good: http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/109157/the-turkey-princi...

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 16, 2010 at 12:42:00 pm

There was a time not so long ago when Blockkbuster was so hot that the CEO was able to buy a new baseball franchise - the Florisda Marlins - for cash on hand.....

Re: netflix, there's no such thing as a problem with those guys. It's freaky. We were traveling once and left a disk behind, and couldn't get it back. No problem. Charged us a very low replacement price - less than Amazon - had our next disk the next day. It was startling how little impact it had on our daily lives. And yeah, we got a scratched disk once, and had our next disk and the one after the next day. That part is still remarkable to me - we live in the middle of nowhere. Express mail sometimes doesn't reach us overnight, yet their red envelopes ALWAYS do. Freaky. Add online streaming, which we watch a LOT, and there are few commercial relationships in our lives that are more satisfying. Not true with either Bbuster or mom and pop....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]