FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcendence

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Transcendence
on Apr 27, 2014 at 12:49:14 am

Just saw the new Johnny Depp sci-fi movie: "Transcendence". Pretty good, had very much of the feel of Michael Crichton's book. "Prey", covered a lot of the same ground as if that book was crossed with "The Lawnmower Man"... and it had the same kind of structure and pacing as reading a book... this is a very deliberately-paced movie, and I like a lot about it, but not the use of an "en res media" introduction that kind of gives away the ending.

The plot is pretty pro-forma as well, and really, this movie could have been much more, asking more interesting questions about synthetic identity and relationships, like the movie "Her" did. I can see why it's getting light play and poor attendance... but OTOH, it is far from a bad film: it is a first-class cerebral kind of science fiction story, and I found it engaging. But it certainly isn't paced like a rock-em'-sock-'em blockbuster - which is hat all the pre-show trailers were peddling. If you like William Gibson or Sterling's work, you'll find this entertaining, if not very fresh material.

I think this a good one to Redbox or Netflix.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]