FORUMS: list search recent posts

Easter Weekend viewing

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Easter Weekend viewing
on Apr 17, 2014 at 9:32:00 pm

The movie I watch every year around this time is "The Last Temptation of Christ". Now that there's some distance from the initial release-era hysteria about the film, Marty's work can be appreciated for itself, and for the very powerful performances.

To switch things up, we'll sometimes also screen "Jesus Christ, Superstar." Did you know, somebody did a MUPPETS version of that? No, you're going to have to search it out yourself, Tim. But it does include Miss Piggy singing: "I don't know how to love him".

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Easter Weekend viewing
on Apr 17, 2014 at 10:21:32 pm

I don't think that anything beats The Greatest Story Ever Told, not even close, with Barabbas a much, much overlooked treat. I have no idea how this doesn't get more love.

I'd also throw in Ben-Hur.

That said, I prefer The Ten Commandments for Passover to any Easter choices.

THAT said, I prefer Kevin Smith's Dogma to any of these. :-)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 18, 2014 at 3:49:10 pm

Anthony Quinn in Barrabbas is really amazing, I agree. "The Robe" isn't bad, either.

Or this version of Ben Hur:

Longer clip:

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Apr 21, 2014 at 2:49:54 pm

Haha! Thanks Mark, great Her/Whose On First bit. My wife grew up watching 10 Commandments and Ben Her every Easter weekend, so those are solid picks. I noticed TBN aired The Passion of the Christ. I didn't watch it, but I certainly wondered how they edited that movie to not only be appropriate for TV, but family-friendly TV. I don't imagine they put a censored bar over the blood flying everywhere.

I know I'm too late for making suggestions for this year, but for next year might I recommend Children of Men. Great Christ story. A child of immaculate conception is coming to offer redemption to the world, but a hero must protect the mother and child from those who would destroy the child for their own selfish desires. It's the story of Baby Jesus as told by Alfonso Cuarón.

Also Tim, if you enjoy Dogma for Easter, might I also recommend Rowen Atkinson Live!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]