FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tony Stark's Mom

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Tony Stark's Mom
on Apr 3, 2014 at 4:01:25 pm

Mark I'm hoping you know the answer to this.

Is Agent Carter ( Peggy Carter ) Tony Stark's birth Mother? I'm reading conflicting blog post and I'm not sure which one is correct.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Tony Stark's Mom
on Apr 3, 2014 at 4:54:42 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Apr 3, 2014 at 4:55:22 pm

Spoilers ahead.

No, Carter is not Stark's mom. Or at least, it is unlikely.

Since the comic was created, Tony's mom was Maria Stark. The classic storyline and the three movies have Howard and Maria mysteriously die in a car crash when Tony is quite young. The implication all along to readers has been that the Starks were killed off by an industrial rival of Howard's.

There are some story lines, including in the current version of the comic, where Tony also has a brother, named Arno Stark.

In the past year, the comic has "retconned" a new back-story for Tony: he isn't really a Stark at all, rather, he was adopted and raised as if he was the natural-born child of Howard and Maria Stark. In this retconned story line, Arno is the only real Stark child, and he was going to be born with a fatal congenital defect, but Howard Stark made a Faustian bargain with some aliens to apply high tech genetic therapy while still in utero.

The Faustian bargain is shown to have a dark secret agenda, and when he discovers the double-cross, Howard goes on to tinker with the formula for the in-utero therapy himself, to try to mitigate the worst effects of that monstrous plot.

He's only partly successful, and the result is that Arno is born a super-genius with a very weak, handicapped body, requiring an iron lung to survive. To keep Rumplestilskin, er, I mean, the aliens, from coming to get Arno at his birth, the Starks secretly adopt Tony and pose him as the newly born only son and heir. In this story line, Howard and Maria have to stop an alien who might reveal the secret, and with the help of some SHIELD agents, they defeat the aliens but die in the process, which is presented to the public under the cover of the car crash story.

Arno has been cared for in seclusion all this time, under hidden identities, until the day his skills are needed to help defend Earth. Tony finds all this out when he's supposed to control a giant alien mech suit, called The Godkiller, that was keyed to his DNA... and it didn't work, because it was really keyed to ARNO's DNA.

Tony's gone thru the shock of finding this out, to a reunion with and new partnership with Arno.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 3, 2014 at 5:09:03 pm

Cool, thanks a million.

So this blog is wrong: http://theavengersheadcanons.tumblr.com/post/24498958537/tony-stark-is-pegg...

Or do they re-boot the comics and have different outcomes depending on which year you are reading?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 3, 2014 at 7:03:09 pm

I think that blog you reference is non "canon"; it looks like fan fiction idea submissions or something.

That said, the movie made deliberate changes from the "normal" comic book canon, so they are two different things...howEVER... since the movies, Marvel is now putting out a separate version of the Iron Man comic that is based on the MOVIE events, going forward from what was established THERE.

Confused yet?

Answer next week on.... SOAP! :-)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 3, 2014 at 7:06:58 pm

I new you would know. Thanks Mark.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 3, 2014 at 7:21:16 pm

Just as an addendum, Stark's mom Maria is always portrayed as gentle and loving, Tony creates a humanitarian charitable foundation in her name later. ...the aloofness is a trait of Howard Stark, which is usually attributed to his drinking, emotional immaturity, and his deep involvement with technology, his defense contracts business and secret work for SHIELD. Sound like anybody we know?

A bastard child via Cap's ex-girlfriend would have had to have had the conception and gestation timed to closely follow Tony Stark's own birth, if a "switch" was going to be made at birth. Agent Carter is too stand-up of a gal to have gotten involved that way anyhow.

So we don't know who Tony's biological parents really are in the comics yet, for sure. Maybe in a few more issues, but it seems the kind of thing Marvel would like to drag out for a year before the reveal, and only in the comics, as the movies are now almost like a separate universe.

/end geek mode/

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 3, 2014 at 7:24:54 pm

Cool! Thanks!

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved