FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need for Speed

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Need for Speed
on Mar 18, 2014 at 10:26:20 pm

Premise: Aaron Paul stars as Chase Racerman (Ok, I forgot the character's actual name), a mechanic who is also like the BEST driver EVER. He gets framed for manslaughter by Derek Evildriver (also forgot character name), and when he gets out of prison, he immediately hits the road to try to get to a race which is the most important race EVER, against Derek Evildriver, with the actual stakes of the race being something they either never mentioned or was said so quietly that I didn't hear it. But he has to get from New York to California in 45 hours, so as the title proclaims, there is most certainly a *need* for *speed*. It's a cross-country road trip movie where Chase Racerman is able to avoid getting arrested in every single state somehow, probably because he is like the BEST driver EVER. Sure, the movie has a bunch of flaws, but considering that it's based off a game by Electronic Arts, that was to be expected (high fives a row of video game nerds).

Pros:

-The biggest draw of the movie, the super fast car racing, was... (gives 10 second over-exaggerated shrug while making a Robert DeNiro squint face and nodding) It was pretty decent. Pretty decent. A lot of interesting camera work, I suppose.

-I went to this movie out of respect for Aaron Paul's new movie career, which I didn't want to end after Need for Speed. He was very Aaron Paul-y in it. That's a good thing. Take my $7, Hollywood. Let him make a few more movies, please.

-I can't say much about her as an actress, she's alright I guess, but I will never *not* enjoy Imogen Poots' name.

-Now THAT'S how you have Michael Keaton on your set filming for one day, and stretch it out over the whole movie.

-I guess for a 130 minute movie about stuff I'm not generally interested in, it wasn't really boring.

-OK, like there's this one scene when all the Ford Mustangs are like racing on like a highway, and like they drive past this like middle-aged guy who is driving like a Pontiac Firebird, and he like thinks he's really cool, but they like show his speedometer and he's only going like 60 mph, because Firebirds are like a total joke car or something...? Am I right, my fellow gearheads?!?!?! (SLAMS PEDAL 2/10THS TO THE MEDAL, PUNCHES 2005 HYUNDAI SONATA TO 38 MPH, USES TURN SIGNALS WHEN PASSING FELLOW MOTORISTS, FLASHES "ROCK ON" HAND GESTURE WHILE WAVING TONGUE WILDLY)

Cons:

-I'm a little disappointed that this film wasn't titled NEED 4 SPEED, with the "D's" being misshapen tires. I hope they at least call the sequel 2 NEED 2 SPEED.

-So this big race, The De Leon (?), that they hype up for the entire movie as this enormous important race, ends up just being six cars? What? And it's an illegal street race? Huh? Why does this interest *anyone* not involved in the race? They never even say how much or what you win if you finish. And there's basically a 100% chance that you'll be arrested for participating. Why would any of the racers choose to be involved?? WHY? TELL ME WHY? (takes deep breath) (composes self) Just forget it, Scott. It's Need for Speed.

-Ya know what, just kind of throw most conventional logic out the car window.

-Chase Racerman's posse of comic relief friends sort of got on my nerves. There should be a limit on how many wise cracking bros you can write into a single action movie script.

-I just realized that, although there was a "love interest" in this movie, Racerman never kisses the girl. There is NO smooching in this movie! WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THAT?

-The MOMENT we are introduced to Racerman's young, clean-cut, super positive friend, I just *knew* this guy was going to die sometime in the first act. AND HE DID. I don't consider that a spoiler, because if you can't see that coming, then I'll assume you've never watched a movie before. HOW ELSE WILL RACERMAN BECOME FILLED WITH RAGE, IF HIS IDEALISTIC FRIEND DOESN'T DIE?

-It kind of bothered me, probably on some weird psychological level, that I noticed most of the cars in this movie didn't have door handles.

Final Thoughts: If there existed an institution of generic movies, like movies that are neither incredibly bad nor remotely good, let's call it The Academy of Generic Films and Sciences; Need for Speed would be a frontrunner for Best Generic Picture of 2014. At least one of the 10 nominees. I assume the awards ceremony would be hosted by James Marsden, and the big award would be given out by Sam Worthington.

6 out of 10

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
Re: Need for Speed
on Mar 19, 2014 at 2:30:08 pm

[Scott Roberts] "I'm a little disappointed that this film wasn't titled NEED 4 SPEED, with the "D's" being misshapen tires. I hope they at least call the sequel 2 NEED 2 SPEED."

Haha!

I haven't seen this movie and I'm not going to race out (no pun intended) and see it. I think it's because I'm becoming an old man. I've seen so many car movies I just shrug and feel like I've seen it already. I think a lot of it is all this chaos cinema without really bringing anything new to the table, loosing context and giving us a real reason to care.

I will tell you, one of my all time favorite car chase scenes is from The Pink Panther. It's the slowest cut car chase EVER, it probably cost 1/1,000th the cost a Need For Speed chase cost AND it was told almost entirely from one man's perspective as he is trying to cross the street. Now THAT is how you get it done. Not, what is everyone doing, but, how I do something engaging in a way no one else is doing it.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 19, 2014 at 2:39:09 pm

These are car chase movies:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3DA7B56CE3DF1159

The Frankenheimer one is still my favorite.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 28, 2014 at 12:42:32 am

As a vehicle for Aaron Pinkman's fledgling movie career he could do worse than this movie. No I have not seen it. As usual Scott's review is all I need to know that this will be in the $3 bluray bin by Christmas.
But as first movies go better to be in a big budget mess than a SyFy mess. You can bet than post Breaking Bad, Paul has been offered everything from Sharknado II to Indiana Jones V. Surprised he did not land the role of Ben Skywalker.
I look forward to seeing this about a year from now on FX at like 2am on a Wednesday.

Bryan Cranston on the other hand picked Godzilla as his post-Heisenberg movie star role. Worked great for Broderick.

Mike

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 28, 2014 at 6:19:39 am

I hope you people are coming to appreciate the relatively subtle, lovingly crafted poetry of the Fast & Furious series.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 28, 2014 at 1:42:21 pm

Tim,
Speaking of Fast and Furious. I figured you would know, does Han ever mention losing the love of his life in Tokyo Drift?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]