FORUMS: list search recent posts

Oscar Wish!

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
Oscar Wish!
on Mar 5, 2014 at 2:32:49 pm

The 2013 Oscars are now over and we have all vented our concern or showered our praise. Here is the question now, if you could make a wish for the 2014 Oscars, what would it be?

Mine would be to have a big surprise win! I feel like it has been a while since there has been a real shocker in one of the main categories. We need a jolt every once and while to keep it fresh. If I could make two, I would love to see a real unique show piece. I remember the Cirque du Soleil act they did a few years and wanting to give it a standing ovation. Didn't feel that way for the hero montage or

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Oscar Wish!
on Mar 5, 2014 at 4:50:10 pm

One wish is kind of a realistic one... I wish they'd create an Oscar category for Stunt work. If make-up and costume design get categories, I don't see why stunt work doesn't? I guess the downside for the Academy would be that the category would be filled with stuff like Need For Speed or The Raid 2. They like to avoid fun stuff like that. Usually my favorite special feature on any given Blu-ray is the stunt featurette. Just sayin.

My second wish would be to avoid writing presenter dialogue that goes along the lines of "The supporting cast is the lifeblood of a film..." Keep it light-hearted and fun. I enjoy the Oscars. I enjoy it on a Tim level of statistics and historical context. But they aren't like giving out a Nobel prize for curing a disease. The person who designed the costumes for a Great Gatsby movie shouldn't be introduced as if she invented solar energy. She put a flapper hat on Carey Mulligan. Make the whole thing less heavy handed.

Third wish: Get some uniformity with the theme of the night. You want it to be about Old Hollywood? Great. Film Noir? Great. Just commit to the idea and keep it consistent. This year they shoehorned in a "hero" theme with those weird montages that had nothing to do with everything. After Earth intercut with Jaws intercut with Die Hard? HUH? You can't dedicate twelve minutes of a four hour broadcast to some half assed theme that doesn't relate to anything else.

Fourth wish: Get a host that actually has something to say. That's why Jon Stewart was great. Ellen is a canvas of generic comedy ideas best suited for a 2 pm audience.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 5, 2014 at 5:26:27 pm

The Hero montage was slightly better edited than last year's Bond montage which looked like it was done with an iMovie template.

I liked the format of the In Memorium montage, and they had the correct idea to mute the audience. When the audience cheers more for one dead person than another it comes across as disrespectful

Yes get a host with some veritas. If the Academy refuses to give Meryl Streep or Glenn Close an Oscar, then let them be the hosts.

Or go the Ricky Gervais route and let someone have at it. Seriously, rich people are ok with being made fun of - they are usually in on it.

The pizza stunt was cool, but how about driving some LA food trucks into the theater!

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Mar 6, 2014 at 2:29:02 pm

Here is one to consider: split the cinematography award in two - traditional and CGI. Here is an article on a petition going around.

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/03/petition-split-academy-award-best-cinematog...

Also, I'm with you Scott, I don't think there is a good reason why stunts are not involved, I think the Academy just doesn't want to add any more awards to the long show. Super heroes aren't going to make their own montage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]