FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Dynamite

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Black Dynamite
on Feb 17, 2010 at 3:31:12 pm

I saw Black Dynamite in theaters last October during its one week theatrical run, but it came out on Blu-ray yesterday and I got a chance to watch it again last night. It is easily the funniest movie of 2009. Everything about it makes me laugh.

If you've never heard of it, it is a very loyal spoof/homage to 1970s blaxploitation, but it's brilliant in the way that it's bad. It's like a finely crafted train wreck. Boom mics are intentionally inserted into shots, acting is deliberately delivered poorly, punches are blatantly not connecting. It's clearly a stupid film made by very smart people. And that's what's so great about it. There are little details in almost every scene that show how it was intentionally poorly made to homage the ACTUALLY poorly made films of the 70s. But it's more than just that, as even the more conventional jokes struck my funny bone as well. And the last 20 minutes are absolutely insane.

I don't think it's for everyone's taste, but if you're into foulmouthed, kung-fu fighting, retro, low budget humor (with some gratuitous nudity sprinkled in as well) then I highly recommend it. I'd link the trailer, but I do believe it is NSFW. So here's the poster:

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Black Dynamite
on Feb 17, 2010 at 9:13:23 pm

Saw a trailer for this and thought they did a remarkable job of 'homage'. Even to the style of the trailer itself. This might make a fun double feature with either "I'm Gonna Get You, Sucka", "Hollywood Shuffle", "Balls of Fury" or the "Enter the Dragon" parody from Kentucky Fried Movie (Or was that last one actually in Groove Tube? I always confuse those last two since I saw them as a double feature back in the day.

Blame it on the Bossa-Nova.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]