FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wait, what? Lego Movie has 99% Fresh at Rotten Tomatoes???

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
Wait, what? Lego Movie has 99% Fresh at Rotten Tomatoes???
on Feb 7, 2014 at 4:49:46 am

After thinking it looked like dreck, I saw a couple of trailers that made me think, whaddya know, this might be okay.

It's still early, and "only" 82 votes are in -- but 81 of them are fresh! And that's with a bunch of heavyweights weighing in, too.

I dunno man, check it out, see what you think.

And I want at least one review ON FRIDAY dammit. LOL

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Wait, what? Lego Movie has 99% Fresh at Rotten Tomatoes???
on Feb 7, 2014 at 3:01:09 pm

[Tim Wilson] "And I want at least one review ON FRIDAY dammit. LOL"

I'm not seeing it until Saturday night... :/ Admittedly, when I first heard of the Lego Movie, I rolled my eyes. But once I saw the first trailer, I was sold, because it looked awesome. And it has only looked more and more awesome with each preview I've seen of it since. I'm pumped!

I mean, if you're impressed by celebrity voice actors, it's hard not to be excited for Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, Alison Brie, Channing Tatum, Charlie Day, Jonah Hill, James Franco, Colbie Smulders, Jorma Taccone, Liam Neeson, Billy Dee Williams (as Lando!), Morgan Freeman, Nick Offerman, Will Arnett, Will Ferrell, Will Forte (THE THREE WILLS), and Shaq as himself.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 13, 2014 at 9:22:34 pm
Last Edited By Scott Roberts on Feb 13, 2014 at 9:23:41 pm

After several delays to see The Lego Movie, I finally got a chance to the other night. I'll keep this short, though, because 80% of what makes The Lego Movie good is not knowing what will come next, or who will show up next.

The basic plot of the film is about an average construction worker Lego guy who discovers he might be "the special", a Lego so awesome and cool that only *he8 can save the Lego world from Lord Business' plan to micromanage everyone to be positioned exactly how he wants. It's from directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, who have quietly become two dudes to really look out for. They've directed 21 Jump Street, the pilot for Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (which I hear is good); but I will love them forever for creating the criminally underrated TV show Clone High, which sadly only got 13 episodes. 13 Episodes of pure brilliance, though. They can screw up five times in their career, and I'll still forgive them because of Clone High. Luckily, The Lego Movie kept their track record pristine.

The voice cast of this movie is exceptionally good, with some awesome small bit parts going to people like Channing Tatum, Jonah Hill, Nick Offerman, and Will Forte. But as far as the main cast goes, there were three stand-outs. The first was Chris Pratt as the protagonist Emmet, who always has the hilarious enthusiasm of a grown man-child legitimately being excited by the prospect of playing with Legos. The second was Liam Neeson as Good Cop/Bad Cop, who was fun to hear do two comically different voices, and even more fun trying to picture him in the recording studio reading the lines that they gave him. But the best job went to Will Arnett as Batman, who apparently hasn't left GOB Bluth mode since Arrested Development ended; as he didn't give us the arrogant jerk Batman that we need, but the arrogant jerk Batman that we deserve. Immediately, DC looks foolish for not casting Arnett in Batman vs. Superman instead of Ben Affleck. A live action GOB Batman movie would have been everything I could have possibly asked for in a film.

Overall, the movie is really fun. It's not quite as amazing as I hoped it to be, but it's still really good. The ending gets kind of sappy, but the "twist" really ties everything together in a nice way. The film has a wonderful sense of creativity and promotes the power of childlike imagination, despite the fact that this was basically just a really long advertisement for how great Legos are. But, ya know, to be fair, Legos ARE great. And the internet is full of stuff displaying the great things people can create with Legos if they have the money to spend on them and the creativity to be master builders, and The Lego Movie is a pair of really creative dudes playing with a $60 million dollar toy box, so the visual result is about as impressive as you'd expect.

8.5 out of 10

But plan on getting this song stuck in your head after you see it:

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Feb 24, 2014 at 4:11:55 am

I saw this on Saturday night. I wasn't really expecting much even with all the rave reviews, and it pretty much met my expectations. The story was adequate, but not stunningly clever like so many other "kid movies for smart adults" are nowadays. I've heard a few people mention it's on par with Toy Story. Not even close, the main difference being that the "clever" bits and punch lines in Lego Movie feel forced and at times completely absurdist. Not organic at all.

I mean, it was a cute little movie with a nice message and that's about it. Great attention to the textures, great voice acting. Better than a movie about Legos could have been, so there's that too.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 9, 2014 at 10:55:49 pm

I rented this yesterday, since Chris Pratt is so hot lately, and I'd heard adults would like this. Liam Neeson steals the show though I like the theme song; "Everything is Awesome!"

I swear, I saw LEGO representation of Picasso's "Guernica" happening in one brief sequence. Did anyone else catch that?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31:21 pm

This movie was really strange, but very funny. I'm glad I watched it.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]